I need help with running

Options
2»

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong. Get a plan and slow down. Way down. You should not be out of breath.

Try something like Couch to 5K. It will take many weeks so I'd forget about running the race. Walk it if you must.

C25K is a great start. I've used Zombies run 5k training program in the past and it works very well.

Dont worry about the zombies, as they wont start chasing you untill week 8. There is one zombie in a leash around week 4, that gets pretty agitated if you do squats, but other than that you'll be fine!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    While I do agree with everyone in regards to slowing down...particularly your pace. If you start the C25K program, there isn't any reason why you couldn't do whatever running intervals you are on at the race. Week 4 typically has you running 3 min then walking 90 sec. There isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to do that at the race. Edited to add that this implies that you start a C25K program.
  • mandystar
    mandystar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm not completely new to running. I have been slowly trying to increase my times for a few weeks. Today I decided to get out and jog, and just enjoy myself. I slowed my pace down as recommended, and I actually was able to run almost half a mile before I had to slow down to a walk to gather myself. It did it twice. It really did help to slow my pace way down. Evidently I was trying to run way too fast. When I slowed it down to a jog, my distance increased drastically. As far as the race is concerned, I know I'll still have to walk quite a bit of it, but my goal is to be able to run more than I did last year. Thanks again for all the advice. Please feel free to continue to offer tips and tricks. I really do appreciate it
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My strategy for the next year is to add only 10% per week while holding steady the distance I walk between intervals of jogging. Right now I jog .15 miles and walk .1 miles (I started at .1 and .1) It will take a long time to build to my current target of 3miles, but I don’t care. I do a loop that is 3.5 to 4 miles, 3 times a week. I’m being extra cautious, even for me, but inflammation in my Achilles off and on over the past 5 years has me that way. I’ve changed my stride so I no longer heel strike and am hopeful that rebuilding distance at this pace will be successful. Listen to your body!
  • wessullivan1
    wessullivan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It might help to work on your running technique as well. Do an quick internet search on Pose running and you can read about the basics. Good luck!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 of C25K. I am really enjoying it. I was never a runner. While losing my initial weight I did a lot of strength training with incline walking for cardio.

I have been told (not sure how true it is), that because I was lifting and built strength in my legs: that's why I don't have the pain & soreness that comes when most people who were not runners, start running.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    It might help to work on your running technique as well. Do an quick internet search on Pose running and you can read about the basics. Good luck!

Or better yet, don't. Skip the nonsense.