Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I will reread your post again. It takes me awhile to dissect and absorb things. And I will look into Rational Recovery. It does make sense. Thanks for your input. I know that I wish dearly that I didn't waste years depending on a toxic substance to solve my problems, to celebrate successes, to cope with stress, all while raising my children. And if your post helps a younger person avoid years of struggle, it was important you posted this story.

It was a hard read for me and I wish I had not read it tonight because it is closing in on bedtime. I have a really hard time dealing with deaths that result from a DUI.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Day 6 being sober. Very happy. Not finding it hard right now (it gets harder on the weekends). I have bought some nice new teas for myself, as well as this "chocolate drink" product made of raw organic cacao, cinnamon and coconut milk. It's so tasty and satisfying! I have had it at night the last two nights instead of wine and it's great. I recommend! I have also been drinking Lacroix. I find it a fun calorie free substitute. Just drinking a lot of non-alcoholic healthy treat beverages and loving life!! :)

That's a great idea! 6 days sober here too. I've also been doing the Lacroix. Your chocolate drink sounds delicious! I'll have to try something like that!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I will reread your post again. It takes me awhile to dissect and absorb things. And I will look into Rational Recovery. It does make sense. Thanks for your input. I know that I wish dearly that I didn't waste years depending on a toxic substance to solve my problems, to celebrate successes, to cope with stress, all while raising my children. And if your post helps a younger person avoid years of struggle, it was important you posted this story.

It was a hard read for me and I wish I had not read it tonight because it is closing in on bedtime. I have a really hard time dealing with deaths that result from a DUI.

Yes , I read that and my heart sank when I heard she killed two people. I know one of friends on this thread has a husband, If i am remembering correctly, had hurt someone while drinking and driving. I've thought about that a hundred times; our lives and other innocent lives can change on a dime from a bad decision.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    ErynVee wrote: »
    Very proud of myself tonight. Went out to eat and stuck to a very healthy menu item, with unsweetened tea. We even went to a brewery after and I just got some ice water. Home now and feeling good. I was more tempted than I have been in recent days but I'm proud of myself for sticking to it!

@thiswillhappen To both of you, congrats! You've done very well these last six days. Xo
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I think I avoided one of the traps earlier in life because I was so scared to drink and drive that in social situations I would nurse the same bottle for hours.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201505/the-neuroscience-making-decision

Wordy and detailed article about how we make decisions.
    I've been reading a lot about the brain lately ; NOVA has a series of specials on the Brain which I found on Netflix.

Last two paragraphs copies and pasted below:

The next time that you need to make a decision, take a few deep breaths and think about the the pros and cons of your next move in a pragmatic and mindful way. Then, do the right thing for your well-being.

Using mindfulness could give various regions of your striatum and prefrontal cortex time to relay the true "neuroeconomic" costs of a decision and help you make smarter choices. Mindful decision-making can derail compulsive or addictive patterns of behavior and take you down a path that's in your best interest for long-term health, happiness, and overall well-being.

Thanks for this. I have been stuck on a question that this may help me answer.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    AleLue_1 wrote: »
    Welp I had 2 coconut rums last night..... Lost my job so I did not cope in the bestest of ways.... But today is a new day! No drinking for the rest of the week! How are y'all doing this morning with your goals?

aww sorry about the job. You can do it. btw I loved coconut rum drank it in college a lot.
  • AleLue_1
    AleLue_1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    AleLue_1 wrote: »
    Welp I had 2 coconut rums last night..... Lost my job so I did not cope in the bestest of ways.... But today is a new day! No drinking for the rest of the week! How are y'all doing this morning with your goals?

aww sorry about the job. You can do it. btw I loved coconut rum drank it in college a lot.

@trishfit2014 thank you! I take it as a sign I should stay at home with my kiddies over the summer! Lol