Does running ruin your knees?

Options
I have a friend that despises running, swears by lifting. She says running regularly will destroy my knees. Then to add to the paranoia she instilled in me, an old colleague of mine underwent a knee replacement surgery and he was an avid marathon runner.

I love running, my body responds best to it. It helps me melt away pounds. I had a baby 4 months ago and now I finally feel strong enough to run again, but what my friend said popped up in my head.

So what does long term running do to the body? How are the knees of you seasoned runners?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Can you injure your knees running? Yes, just as you can be injured doing any sport or activity. A lot of knee injuries are caused by improper equipment (i.e. not being fitted for running shoes) and/or improper training (i.e., not sticking to a professionally designed beginner’s running plan when you’re getting started).

Does running necesssrily “destroy your knees”? No. Others have already posted studies debunking this claim. But if you run, you should probably prepare yourself for a lot of people—mostly non-runners—who repeat it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors involved it's impossible to make the blanket statement that running ruins your knees.

I'm sort of an example of all those factors:

- obese most of my life
    - started running, lost weight (105 lbs) ...... ran some more..... 17 halfs, 4 fulls and an ultra in 5 years. Got carried away and over trained... alot. I will also admit that I although I wore properly fitted shoes my form probably wasn't the greatest.... I was 44 when I started running.
    - ran thru an injury I shouldn't have
    - had two arthroscopic knee surgeries, found the start of osteoarthritis - probably hereditary as my father had the same.
    - sulked for 9 years cause I couldn't run anymore and gained 130 lbs back
    - finally got my head out of my *kitten* when I realized I needed a double knee replacement and have so far lost 111 of that 130 lbs

Moral of the story..... ummm hmmmm ..... is there a moral?

Oh yeah....... there are so many factors involved..... just listen to your body and your common sense.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    For some people it eventually does.

I’m sure some of the regular marathon runners the ultra marathon runners have got very painful joints after the age of 50!

If you are just starting out then start out slow, don’t over train.

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Daily runner, more than a dozen half marathons, age 44, great knees. But cross training is important to prevent injuries. Before I added strength training, I had a few issues with my ankle and IT.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Started running @42, now 61. I run 2-3 times a week 5-15k. Knees are fine.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Not instantly of course but it does put more stress on your joints than walking does of course so yeah, I mean technically speaking running will put more wear and tear on your joints than not running will. That isn't to say that if you run you WILL have joint problems anymore than saying you going out into the sun means you WILL get skin cancer.

This is not true. Read the links to studies that people have already posted.

F=ma?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Not instantly of course but it does put more stress on your joints than walking does of course so yeah, I mean technically speaking running will put more wear and tear on your joints than not running will. That isn't to say that if you run you WILL have joint problems anymore than saying you going out into the sun means you WILL get skin cancer.

This is not true. Read the links to studies that people have already posted.

F=ma?

More force = more stress, sure, but the right kinds of stress in the right ranges are beneficial to the body, no? Otherwise a lot of people are wasting time by lifting weights.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I used to run years ago and loved it.

When I first started I'd come back from each run and have to put my legs up with a bag of frozen peas on one shin/knee and a bag of frozen corn on the other shin/knee. It was so painful but I just endured it.

Then I went and got fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. They did these gait and step tests and it turns out that my running style had me landing on the outside of the foot and rolling inwards. The shoes they provided compensated for this and from that day on no more pain!

This is coming from someone who'd had a complete reco on one knee and a torn meniscus/floating patella on the other knee =)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Depends on genetics. Depends on the surface you run on. Depends on your shoes. Depends on your stride/form. If it concerns you but you really love running, minimize risk where you can. Choose the most forgiving surfaces you can as much as you can. Get good shoes and replace them at appropriate intervals. If you get injured (including repetitive stress injuries) give yourself time to heal thoroughly, and think about whether there are further steps you can take to reduce risk. Maybe see if you can find a trainer or sports medicine professional who can advise you on your form.

I wouldn't quit an activity I enjoyed out of fear of the possibility that it might one day cause excessive wear and tear on my body. Remember, there's usually warning signs along the way between feeling great and ruining your knees. You can stop or cut back or adjust if it ever starts feeling like less than great.

Also, most of the people I know who don't stay active end up at relatively early ages with aches and pains that then tend to make them even less inclined to any real activity. You could sit all day to protect your knees, and you'd end up with atrophied muscles and have trouble just standing when you need to.
  • Judith509
    Judith509 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Running in and of itself is not the issue. What is your overall lower body strength? Are you wearing the right shoes for your foot? Do you have good core strength? Do you have good hip strength? Do you have good flexibility in your lower body? What surface do you run on? Do you run the same route every day or do you vary it? I could go on but that's the point. There are so many factors. Running by itself does not "ruin your knees".
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am 40(ish) and run 30-40 miles a week. I have run many 1/2 marathons and I am training for my second marathon. I started running when I was 50 pounds overweight. I am still carrying an extra 15 pounds. My knees are just fine. My toenails, however, will never be the same again (the 8 I have left anyway).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/well/move/running-may-be-good-for-your-knees.amp.html
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did someone woo me over saying that strength training is important to prevent injury? I’m talking basic body weight squats and core work to ensure you have adequate muscle definition in the areas you use while running. It’s not like I said you need to do some sort of rain dance to ensure a good run. How is that woo-worthy?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some people don’t understand woo.

A sure way to cause injury when running is to keep going after you feel something pop. Listen to your body and if something worse than regular muscle pain is going on, walk or stop.

Be body aware. You will be miles ahead (literally) than all the couch potatoes.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did someone woo me over saying that strength training is important to prevent injury? I’m talking basic body weight squats and core work to ensure you have adequate muscle definition in the areas you use while running. It’s not like I said you need to do some sort of rain dance to ensure a good run. How is that woo-worthy?

'Woo' is subjectively used to mean many different things on these boards. While the 'official' meaning is short for 'woo woo', some people use them to mean 'woohoo', or 'I disagree', etc. It's effectively meaningless now, so try not to take it to heart.