My FIRST WEEK, Sucked.

Options
KTaurusW0516
KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
Not gonna lie, my first week was terrible. It was completely on and off on my diet. I'm definitely motivated now. However, in the worst way possible. My 'busy' life schedule is crazy. Right now, I'm running on 44 minutes of sleep and the night before it was four hours of sleep. I haven't even worked out! I workout one day and then I was busy, again! I keep putting my health last because, work, home life/family, and finally HEALTH! My motivation is out and burning. Like, if I can make my brain get in line and focus on work, health, and home life/family. I be on a roll in life.

Replies

• KTaurusW0516
    Options
    MJsStory wrote: »
    My advice would be to work on your mindset first. I find that if you think of it as a diet you are doomed to struggle. It’s our natural rebellious nature taking over.

Think of it as a lifestyle change. It takes 28 days to create a habit. What is the one thing that you can do this week to make you a priority?

When my children were babies l, my one thing was to stretch when I got up no matter the time of day. I reach my hands all the way up and stare at the ceiling and count to 10. Then I would touch the floor and count to 10 while the screaming continued. They never noticed that extra minute but it was just enough to help me relax. Over the years I’ve increased it. When I decided to lose weight I made my stretching a little more vigorous and it has helped as I start the day with “exercise.”

For me... my lifestyle changes are #1 stretch #2 sleep (which I have met been doing well this week) #3 water (still struggle with this, I think I’m part camel!) #4 stress level and then I look at what I am eating. This gives me more energy and creates more healthy habits.

Remember each day is a new day to start fresh!

I love this, I've been told many ideas in my lifetime. I was told to focus on my diet and other time was focus on my workouts. Never, did I think like this before. I'm definitely keeping this on my mind. Thank you for the advise. <3
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    @KTaurusW0516, as a working mom of 2 young children, with a husband and a home to take care of,
    I totally understand where you’re coming from. It’s so easy to put yourself last, but you know what? You’re not doing yourself or your family any favors by doing so. Focus on taking care of you and the rest will fall into place.

Also, if it all seems too overwhelming for you right now, try taking baby steps instead. For one week, simply record everything you eat to the best of your ability: the good, the bad, and the ugly. And absolutely get some sleep if you can! I can tell you that I’m an absolute bear if I don’t get at least 6 hours, and that’s not fun for anyone.

Above all, don’t be so hard on yourself. You can do this! Feel free to friend me if you like. ❤️

Luckily, I believe this was a rare weekend of bad sleep. However, I do most times get from four to eight hours of sleep. It depends on the plans lined up for me to do. I love recording the good days but, its cringe worthy putting in the bad and ugly. However, thats what pushes me to do great the next day.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, focus on diet first. You can always add exercise later. And you can add it in increments. Working out doesn’t have to be complicated. It can be as simple as a five minute walk while food is cooking in the microwave. Or pacing back and forth for extra steps while on the phone. Make time for more sleep. Log your food even if you go over on calories.

Thank you, I'll definitely add that to my daily thinking. My Grandmother taught me, from observing her, that walking while talking on the phone is great exercise. She would walk around all over the house and pace back and forth while, on the phone or waiting for food to cook.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Balancing family/work/events/health/exercise/sleep/meal planning etc. is hard, and sometimes just downright impossible. The best thing you can do is try to incorporate a few things into one. For example, I am a single mom of a 3 year old and I want to be more active. There are days that she will let me do my zumba or bike riding while she plays and other days she needs my constant attention or we've been busy and I don't want to let my exercise interfere with my quality time with her, so we will go on "nature walks" or "scavenger hunts" together. Gets me moving, she has fun and we are spending time together.

Focus on your diet first, it is really the easiest, but you do have to set aside a little time (I typically do at work) to plan out your meals/write out your grocery store list. It takes some organizational skills, for sure. Dieting isn't something you can do spur of the moment. You have to plan, prepare and pack your meals.

Also, darling! You must manage to get some more sleep. I see that you are trying, and I know 8 hours is nearly impossible. I try to make it to 6, sometimes get more and sometimes get less, but it is very important for your overall health.

Best of luck to you!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, my first week was terrible. It was completely on and off on my diet. I'm definitely motivated now. However, in the worst way possible. My 'busy' life schedule is crazy. Right now, I'm running on 44 minutes of sleep and the night before it was four hours of sleep. I haven't even worked out! I workout one day and then I was busy, again! I keep putting my health last because, work, home life/family, and finally HEALTH! My motivation is out and burning. Like, if I can make my brain get in line and focus on work, health, and home life/family. I be on a roll in life.

A few people have stated EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, so I will just throw in an example from my life.

For me, everything is mindset. You have likely heard this before, but I will put here in black and white...read the following OUT LOUD (excuse me, not shouting....just want the 'out loud' part to be clear):

If you think that you can not do something, then guess what? You are correct!

However, if you think that you CAN DO something, then you are correct as well!

Think about that.

So, my story. I was doing powerlifting. I was doing Keto. I have high A1C so Keto work well for me. To me, you gotta be healthy, first and foremost. Then, and only then, can you be fit.

I have struggling in the gym with power lifting. It is rough on Keto. So, in a moment of unclarity, I decided that I was not going to do Keto anymore. So, this is the example of my mindset being completely incorrect. After one week+, I realized the error in my thought process (read: mindset) and went back to Keto (and, for other reasons, put powerlifting on hold). My mindset was back! Healthy, then fit!

Anyway, I hope that this helps...
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, maybe another way to look at things: Schedule your priorities. Think about that one, too!
  • vaskaxtumir
    vaskaxtumir Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep is stalling your weight loss and may even add to fat accumulation as it affects our hormones in a very drastic way. Make at least 7 hrs of sleep a night THE priority right now, and perhaps introduce a 10-min body scan as a way to relax and improve your hormonal balance, too. You can find many good guided body scans on YouTube.

Best of luck!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect o:)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to ease into a healthier lifestyle. It does not need to be all or nothing. We all have bad days;the objective is to have more good days than bad. Make better choices, just one at a time.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Did you last a week of logging? If so, you are doing better that a lot of people that join. So take the making it one week as a success.

If anything, look at your first week as a baseline: to see where you're at. That way you know where to make small changes to help you get to where you want to be.

If you need help or advice or just someone to vent to, feel free to add me.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    44 minutes of sleep?!
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    adele012 wrote: »
    44 minutes of sleep?!

A week ago today, I got 44 minutes of sleep. Due to a bad day. Friday's are my hell day's of the week or a Monday. I work 7am-3pm then I come back and work Midnight to 8am. Not counting I get up an hour early due to the drive and the rule of being 10 minutes early. I had plans at 4pm to 9pm and I manage to get a 44 minute nap in. Today, was a good day and I got six hours of sleep before work. Which, the max, pushing it may be seven hours.
  • neithomp
    neithomp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do small things to start. Maybe drink more water-that will help regulate bowel movements and keep you hydrated which (may) help you sleep. It did for me. Instant changes. Then, move onto other small changes. That's exactly what I am doing. Good Luck.