My FIRST WEEK, Sucked.

Options
2»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Circadian rhythms matter. That's your 24 hour clock running in the background - sleep/wake cycles. There's a dip ;) in the middle of the night around 3 am and one again in the afternoon at 3 pm. You won't notice them so much if your sleep patterns are regular.

Being sleep deprived all of the time slows your metabolism down, down, down. Ghrelin, leptin become out of whack = weight gain. You've got to find some way to get regular sleep.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Is that why I wake up almost every night around 3?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

It happens. How's your overall sleep patterns?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I do, but only because I'm old and I need to pee. B)
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I do, but only because I'm old and I need to pee. B)

Lol, my Mom does the same thing. She will text me random stuff or tag me in stuff around 3 AM.
  • slwhitter78
    slwhitter78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with a lot of what people have told you. I definitely think that sleep is key and has a huge impact on every aspect of your life when you don’t get enough. I know it feels awful when you are recording your food, exercise etc when you feel like you have not been eating the right things or doing enough exercise but I love what someone else told you as far by just sticking with it for the week is more than a lot of other people do and also recording everything the good and the bad and using it as a start point/ benchmark. As you do start getting more sleep, eating better and doing some exercise you will be able to see it recorded how you are improving.

We have a tendency to beat ourselves up so be kind to yourself and cut yourself some slack. I am giving you this advice because i also need to do the same for myself. It’s my first week and I have been doing pretty good but today I can see as I am recording things that I have not ate well today or done enough exercise but I am not beating myself up over it like I would have done in the past. Instead I am recording it all, seeing I did not meet my goals today but that’s ok because tomorrow is a new day and I will get back on track. You are not really going to succeed if you don’t get the proper sleep or rest so for now if it’s a choice between sleep and exercise I would say sleep. There are going to be ups and downs but remember you have us all here to support you and help where we can. Look after yourself
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The beginning is always hard, just put one foot in front of the other and no matter what, never give up.
  • Billbegood
    Billbegood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You dont necessarily need exercise to lose weight. Maybe just concentrate on your diet?
  • HealthyRebirth
    HealthyRebirth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm sure like is hard, we all have our things, but YOU and your health (mind/body/soul) is A#1! Nope I don't already o so this well, but I did NOT learn this from my family. My loving mom always put others first. She now realizes how important it is to take care of herself. It's the old adage of cup can't runner over if not enough to give. Do what you can and do small things. Give yourself a hug (seriously!) Breathe intentionally then go for an15 min walk after dinner. It feels so good! I'm here and not perfect and definitely struggle with sleep as it's 1:25am and have bipolar depression. But I'm here for you if you want!
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm sure like is hard, we all have our things, but YOU and your health (mind/body/soul) is A#1! Nope I don't already o so this well, but I did NOT learn this from my family. My loving mom always put others first. She now realizes how important it is to take care of herself. It's the old adage of cup can't runner over if not enough to give. Do what you can and do small things. Give yourself a hug (seriously!) Breathe intentionally then go for an15 min walk after dinner. It feels so good! I'm here and not perfect and definitely struggle with sleep as it's 1:25am and have bipolar depression. But I'm here for you if you want!

Thank you, Ill have to give the walk after dinner a try.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Starting seems to be the hardest. I have found that the first few days are a struggle to get it together, but as long as I stay as close to my calorie goal consistently a routine starts to set in. It feels easier after about 4 days. But, this easy feeling only happens if I don't bounce around on calorie amounts during those days.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. This is a new way of living and it's gonna take some time to get it right. I'm 61 years old and I dieted my entire life. Finally I decided to build a program I could live with and lost over 100 pounds and have maintained that loss. I started slow particularly with exercise. I walk about an hour 5 days a week now and that's it. I started out with 15 minute walks. Work up slowly. Find things to eat you like but eat smaller portions. Eventually you will make substitutions you can live with. It took me forever to give up sour cream and substitute with greek yogurt. Sometimes I still use sour cream. Depends on how many calories I have left. Some people don't want to give up their evening glass of wine. They plan for it. You can do this! Take your time and find out what works for YOU. Remember you will have to live with the changes the rest of your life if you want to maintain the loss. It's your program and you are unique so do what works for you.