Do You Drink Cows Milk?

Options

Replies

• schroje83
    schroje83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No dairy for me. Seems to be the cause of the small amount of acne I have.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    There is a lot of conclusive research that now goes back for decades about the dangers of consuming excessive amounts of cow's milk. After reading both sides of the issue, I decided to give up all milk products on June 12th of this year. The protein in milk has been shown to increase the growth rate of cancer tumors in several types of cancer (breast, pancreatic, prostate and others). That is essentially because cow's milk is intended to grow a baby calf from birth to large weaned youngster in a very short period of time. Humans are designed to grow slower.

I would encourage anyone to do further research on this matter, on both sides of the issue. Most of us are already familiar with the basic claims about milk and how it does a body good (osteoporosis and hip fractures are highest in the populations that consume the most cow's milk). But these claims are promoted by an industry that's in the business to make a profit, not protect your health. One good book that covers the subject in extensive detail is "The China Study". If you don't feel like delving into volumes of research and evidence, watch the documentary, "Forks Over Knives", just released on DVD this week. I wish I had known this information earlier.

Regarding the thing of growing a calve.. I don't know if you've ever looked at the calories in a carton of heavy cream over a gallon of skim milk.. Or like my dad had milking cows and seen the thick, thick cream that comes off the top after the cow is milked and the milk settles.. But all those calories meant for growing the calves are in the cream. The milk itself does not grow the calves. Infact, if you tried giving a calf skim milk it would surely waste away and die.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Soy milk, Coconut milk, Rice milk...... etc.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Myths vs facts about dairy farming: (click on the tabs)

http://www.dairyfarmingtoday.org/Learn-More/MythsvsFacts/Pages/MythvsFact.aspx

Really? I mean, consider the source - this site is created by dairy farmers. What do you think their agenda is?

No I don't drink cow's milk - for the simple fact that I am an adult human and not a baby cow. I wouldn't drink another human's breast milk regularly - why would I drink another species'?
    It is factual.
    There are a lot of nontruths in that link in the original post. For instance, dairy cattle are most certainly not given constant doses of antibiotics and are not "constantly stressed". It is simply not true. There are many more big stretches and even lies in that article.

You've got to be kidding me. I can't believe you actually swallow that BS from the website of the Dairy Farmers of America. Look up videos of dairy farms and tell me they are not stressed. They most certainly ARE given constant antibiotics and all kinds of other hormones and chemicals.

What makes sense here? These dairy farms (and all big meat producing plants) are in the business to produce a product as quickly and as cheaply as possible. They don't care what they have to do to get the job done. Just think about it a little. Do some research.

I find it very interesting that people are so skeptical of any information that goes against their American-bred belief that milk "does a body good". It's ironic since that whole myth was created by an extensive and massive advertsing campaign that was never based on any real science. And yet...people just won't let go.

It's BREAST MILK! It's chalk full of PUS and BLOOD and HORMONES that cause CANCER. The poor cows live their entire lives in misery and suffering. Please, open your minds to the idea that cow's milk is NOT healthy at all!!
  • maryd523
    Options
    I have one more thing to say (for now). I am tired of hearing people use the excuse, "Well, everything kills us..." or "there are harmful things in everything," blah blah.

Yes, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Are you going to go play in the road, or are you still going to look both ways before you cross?

Yes, we are all going to die someday. Does that mean it's the same difference sitting in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank and a slew of medication or being active and healthy until the end?
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    "You've got to be kidding me. I can't believe you actually swallow that BS from the website of the Dairy Farmers of America. Look up videos of dairy farms and tell me they are not stressed. They most certainly ARE given constant antibiotics and all kinds of other hormones and chemicals."

I've actually been to a dairy farm. Have you? I've been to a beef cattle ranch. Have you?

"What makes sense here? These dairy farms (and all big meat producing plants) are in the business to produce a product as quickly and as cheaply as possible."

Well, no kidding. That's called economics. All businesses are in the business of producing a product as quickly and cheaply as possible. If they don't, they're out of business.

"They don't care what they have to do to get the job done. Just think about it a little. Do some research."

Met a lot of dairy farmers, have you? The farmers and ranchers I've met have been concerned about their herds, keeping them healthy and, yes, protecting their investments.

"It's BREAST MILK! It's chalk full of PUS and BLOOD and HORMONES that cause CANCER. The poor cows live their entire lives in misery and suffering. Please, open your minds to the idea that cow's milk is NOT healthy at all!!"

Cite an independent, researched based, unbiased source with documented facts to prove these statements. Otherwise, it sounds like the ranting of the anti-animal product army.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    no

not a fan of milk, it has nothig to do with the article, i just hate THE SMELL OF IT.
  • maryd523
    Options
    "You've got to be kidding me. I can't believe you actually swallow that BS from the website of the Dairy Farmers of America. Look up videos of dairy farms and tell me they are not stressed. They most certainly ARE given constant antibiotics and all kinds of other hormones and chemicals."

I've actually been to a dairy farm. Have you? I've been to a beef cattle ranch. Have you?

"What makes sense here? These dairy farms (and all big meat producing plants) are in the business to produce a product as quickly and as cheaply as possible."

Well, no kidding. That's called economics. All businesses are in the business of producing a product as quickly and cheaply as possible. If they don't, they're out of business.

"They don't care what they have to do to get the job done. Just think about it a little. Do some research."

Met a lot of dairy farmers, have you? The farmers and ranchers I've met have been concerned about their herds, keeping them healthy and, yes, protecting their investments.

"It's BREAST MILK! It's chalk full of PUS and BLOOD and HORMONES that cause CANCER. The poor cows live their entire lives in misery and suffering. Please, open your minds to the idea that cow's milk is NOT healthy at all!!"

Cite an independent, researched based, unbiased source with documented facts to prove these statements. Otherwise, it sounds like the ranting of the anti-animal product army.

"Well, no kidding. That's called economics. All businesses are in the business of producing a product as quickly and cheaply as possible. If they don't, they're out of business."

Animals aren't "products". They are living, feeling, sensitive beings. That was my point. Do you support puppy mills, too?

Where exactly is your unbiased source? Because you are all about that website from the dairy farmers. Surely you don't think that is unbiased? I would really, really love to see your unbiased, independent, research-based source with documented facts to prove your statements that dairy cows are not mistreated and pumped full of crap.

Type in "dairy cow undercover videos" and see what comes up. It's horrific. And don't even TRY to tell me that it's a rare occurance.
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    Maryd523,

Definition of a product: A thing produced by labor. So yes, even though it offends your sensibilities, cows are products. As is everything that can be raised, grown or fabricated.

You and I will never agree on this. You are determined to believe that farmers are evil monsters out to torment and abuse animals and I, based on what I have seen, believe the opposite. Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    so, what exctly are the dangers associated with cow's milk? I read about all the bad stuff in cow's milk, but what does it do to our bodies?
  • maryd523
    Options
    Maryd523,

Definition of a product: A thing produced by labor. So yes, even though it offends your sensibilities, cows are products. As is everything that can be raised, grown or fabricated.

You and I will never agree on this. You are determined to believe that farmers are evil monsters out to torment and abuse animals and I, based on what I have seen, believe the opposite. Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day.

I will most certainly change my opinion if new information becomes available.

I will never, ever, concede the point that ANY animal should be likened to an inanimate object that is produced in an assembly line. I can't believe you would. That is so cruel and inhumane. Do you not have a heart?? And yes....I believe big business dairy farmers DO torment and abuse their animals based on bottom lines and profit, without a single care about the animals well-being (other then the bare minimum needed to keep production up).
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Far be it from me to ever rave about the FDA, they have a lot of issues, but they have expressed concern over the possibilities of illegal drugs in the milk supply, drugs that they do not ordinarily test for:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/business/26milk.html
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Debate and discussion are fine - but attacks and insults are not.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Please keep it respectful and on-topic at all times, even when you disagree with someone.
    Thank you for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially when you look at the credentials, or in the case of the site that the OP posted, the lack of credentials of the person or organization putting out the info. I know several people who farm or raise animals and I am getting tired of these folks being treated like they are somehow in league with the Devil.

In response to this I just have to say that small family farmers are as much a victim of big business as are the animals themselves (regardless of what I do or do not believe about raising animals for food). Many (if not most) farmers have been forced into industrial production in order to make a living for their families. When production becomes large, a certain number of losses, and abuses, are allowed, and even calculated into profits (simple economics). When human beings are forced to do inhumane things day in and day out, their own humanity starts being chipped away at. I feel badly for the people who have to work in these situations, just as I do for the animals who have to live through them.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I only drink it when I want to blast totally awesome farts, so no.... I drink the juice of almonds
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Dear lord... not this crap again.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    No. Because it gives me giant cystic acne and I am way too vain. Usually. Sometimes I will trade some pizza for a pizza face. :D
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

"Well, no kidding. That's called economics. All businesses are in the business of producing a product as quickly and cheaply as possible. If they don't, they're out of business."

Animals aren't "products". They are living, feeling, sensitive beings. That was my point. Do you support puppy mills, too?

Where exactly is your unbiased source? Because you are all about that website from the dairy farmers. Surely you don't think that is unbiased? I would really, really love to see your unbiased, independent, research-based source with documented facts to prove your statements that dairy cows are not mistreated and pumped full of crap.

Type in "dairy cow undercover videos" and see what comes up. It's horrific. And don't even TRY to tell me that it's a rare occurance.

While I may not personally live on a farm, I live in the dairy capital of Canada which can only mean one thing: I've milked too many cows to count, and every single one of my friends is farmers. My best friend actually grew up with such a love for animals that she is now attending university to become a veterinarian. Her, and the rest of her family, wake up each morning at about 4:30 a.m. to milk. There us absolutely NOTHING wrong with how these animals are kept/ treated. They wander in fields all day, and while they may be hooked up to a machine to be milked, there is no harm coming to these animals. I cannot say exactly what goes into their feed, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are some kind of hormones. As much as every farmer loves their animals it still has to feed the family, and it is still their source of income. As for health issues, they drink their milk straight from the filtering tank, to ensure they receive all the "good" bacteria (though this includes the added "bad" that isn't removed in the sterilizing process), and they are all very much healthy.

In all honesty, I don't care about what "crap" is being pumped in, I'm sure its there but that's not the part that bothered me about your post. It was the "mistreatment" of the cows that irked me. if ANY farmer i know heard you talking like that, you would NOT be conscious for much longer. The time, effort and care that is placed onto each and everyone of these cows astounds me. Oh, I'm SURE there are horror stories, but none that i have ever seen or heard of. If you wish to believe that dairy farmers are cruel people only hoping to make a dollar you CLEARLY have not met a dairy farmer.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I only drink it when I want to blast totally awesome farts, so no.... I drink the juice of almonds

Love it!!! That's me on the rare occasion I ingest cow milk ice cream. I sure wish they'd lower the price on alternative ice creams. I sure love almond dream bites. I know if I buy it the demand goes up and price goes down but I sure wish it would lower some. Soy milk did but now its back up higher than before now that its more mainstream in the grocery stores. :( Thankfully I can almost always find a decent Silk coupon and the store and website are constantly giving me more savings. :) I wish Silk would make some ice cream. I suppose I could save up some money and go for a good ice cream maker.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Fear mongering...what a wonderful tool to use in order to get everyone to believe the same things about everything.

I love milk. I love cheese. Fear mongering like this won't make me stop using dairy products any more than people whining about how "bad" it is that I eat...oh goodness...animals.

This....and I'm a WI girl through and through