Strength workouts that keep heartrate up?

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Crossfit workouts do exactly that.

You can find new ones everyday or search older ones here:

https://www.crossfit.com/workout/
    Yes Crossfit has circuits with weights but power output is measured differently then it is understood in a traditional strength training like a 5x5 program. In plain language, power in Crossfit is measured by how much you weight move in a specific duration of time. If you test something like Fran one month and it takes you 5.5 mins and three months later you test Fran again and it takes you only 4.75 minutes it said your power output has increased. In both test the athlete only does a thruster of 75 pounds.

Did the Crossfit athlete become stronger, or did the athlete just become better conditioned?

Should be obvious that the athlete became better conditioned, but not stronger.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Another vote for Circuit Training. Switch from one muscle group to another with little or no rest in-between. Keeps the heart rate average up and burns a ton of calories.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Did the Crossfit athlete become stronger, or did the athlete just become better conditioned?

and that might be okay, right?

some folks want to get stronger and stronger, others... conditioning is their larger goal.

I happen to have mad respect for anyone that picks up a weight in any training capacity, that is: power lifters, body builders, cross fitters and silver sneakers. etc. etc.
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

some folks want to get stronger and stronger, others... conditioning is their larger goal.

I happen to have mad respect for anyone that picks up a weight in any training capacity, that is: power lifters, body builders, cross fitters and silver sneakers. etc. etc.
    Nothing wrong with that. In addition to being certified USAPL club coach, I am also CF-LV1.

It’s important to demarcate the differences and to select the correct training methodology for the desired adaptation.
  • drisley77
    drisley77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me the best thing I found is a combo of kettlebells and sled push.
    For 15 minutes I do KB's.... the classic swing, 40s on then 20s off, for 15 mins total. Get a weight heavy enough to get your heart rate up. I start low then add as I go (35's, 45's, 55's then 75 lbs)
    Then the next 15 minutes I push a sled around a track.
    This combo hits both upper and lower body, and I burn about 350 calories in 30 minutes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that. In addition to being certified USAPL club coach, I am also CF-LV1.

It’s important to demarcate the differences and to select the correct training methodology for the desired adaptation.

Bold hit the nail on the head.

To answer the question "What is the best strength training I can do whilst maintaining a certain %max heartrate?"

For me when I was training back up to a higher strength level I used my work gym for a kind of heavy lifting circuit training routine.
    Heavy and progressive weights but by alternating push/pull/upper/lower lifts I could give my muscle groups the recovery time they need to push close to your maximums.

Unless the gym is empty you are being a right royal PITA to your fellow gym goers or you have to be creative in using a variety of exercises for each muscle group. (Work gym was quiet and I'm quite creative!)

But when I got to a higher level of strength I couldn't progress anymore using that style of training and had to revert to the traditional long pause between sets style. It comes down to goals, capabilities and compromises.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Between sets of lifting, I walk around 1/4 mile inside the gym, either on an empty racquetball court, or a few flight of stairs to keep my heartrate up.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish Posts: 831 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would think its pretty easy to keep that high if you are lifting heavy, and just reduce your rest time between sets, lighten the weight and do more reps. Use that same HRM they must be tracking to see how long you should rest between sets and do the next set before your heart rate goes down too significantly. Once you warm up and get into it, if you are doing a good effort for you on weights I find its probably at that range anyways and just not resting much would keep it there. The heavier a lift you do, the higher your HR spikes afterwards typically too, so of course you cant expect wrist curls to do this, but 175% body weight dips will spike it above that... of course it depends on your own strength vs heart fitness and output as well. Also, the longer your lifting session, the more it becomes more aerobic anyways, since you really can't keep it out of the aerobic zone for long.

Of course I don't think that's a great way to weight train and wont help much for strength, and I'd just do a hike or some elliptical for 30 mins instead. Its super easy on the machine and tracks hr for you.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest just that. I lift heavy 4x a week and separately do crossfit WODs 2-3x a week (and run 3-4x a week).
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    I do Super Sets where you go from one exercise to the next with no rest, then rest only 2 minutes before starting over. I also love doing circuit training with weights. I do 3 reps of each exercise (usually 8-10 different exercises) without stopping for 5 rounds, then take a 2 minute break. Then I do 3 rounds and another 2 minutes followed by the last 2 rounds.

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

***After 5 sets, rest for 2 minutes***

***Do 3 sets of the above***

***After 3 sets, rest for 2 minutes***

***Do 2 sets of the above***

This way, I get 30 total reps but instead of doing 3x10, I am doing 10x3 and can actually do heavier weights each time. I move from one exercise to the next, to the next, etc. so I get a good sweat on. Also, once I get in better shape, I add cardio like jumprope at the end of each set, so would do jumprope for 30 seconds or 60 seconds before starting over at the beginning.

This is just a rough example, but you get the idea :)

Just an advisory to those reading the above: if you try a multi-station circuit routine like this in most public gyms, you're going to get some major flak from the rest of the gym users. Everybody else isn't going to patiently stand around and wait for 30-45 minutes while you tie up virtually every piece of equipment in the gym for your workout.

Disregard the above if you work out in a home gym, a crossfit/circuit-oriented gym, or you're fortunate enough to work out in a virtually empty public gym where you're not affecting everybody else's workouts.

Ugh... we have a guy at my gym who does this every friggin morning. He hogs a bench, a squat rack, and some floor space for 45 min without fail.
    Options
    I do Super Sets where you go from one exercise to the next with no rest, then rest only 2 minutes before starting over. I also love doing circuit training with weights. I do 3 reps of each exercise (usually 8-10 different exercises) without stopping for 5 rounds, then take a 2 minute break. Then I do 3 rounds and another 2 minutes followed by the last 2 rounds.

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

This way, I get 30 total reps but instead of doing 3x10, I am doing 10x3 and can actually do heavier weights each time. I move from one exercise to the next, to the next, etc. so I get a good sweat on. Also, once I get in better shape, I add cardio like jumprope at the end of each set, so would do jumprope for 30 seconds or 60 seconds before starting over at the beginning.

Just an advisory to those reading the above: if you try a multi-station circuit routine like this in most public gyms, you're going to get some major flak from the rest of the gym users. Everybody else isn't going to patiently stand around and wait for 30-45 minutes while you tie up virtually every piece of equipment in the gym for your workout.

Disregard the above if you work out in a home gym, a crossfit/circuit-oriented gym, or you're fortunate enough to work out in a virtually empty public gym where you're not affecting everybody else's workouts.

Ugh... we have a guy at my gym who does this every friggin morning. He hogs a bench, a squat rack, and some floor space for 45 min without fail.
    “Dadpants” at one of the local Anytimes would do that to me —and those gyms are short on equipment to begin with. I moved last July, and Dadpants is now my next door neighbor and he and his wife are crazy.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    How about adding a weights complex using barbells, dumbbells or kettlebells. Keep the weight low ish and don't put it back down until you have gone through all reps and sets of each exercise. Jen Sinklers Lift Weights Faster is great for already set up stuff to follow. Also Craig Ballentyne has some good stuff to
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

“Dadpants” at one of the local Anytimes would do that to me —and those gyms are short on equipment to begin with. I moved last July, and Dadpants is now my next door neighbor and he and his wife are crazy.

Wow, small world! That is too funny!!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Isn’t the point of resting between sets to... rest? Sorry I haven’t actually read all the replies.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

I used to at my old gym. I just started squatting one day. He started to give me some crap - I just gave him "the look" and told him he could either work in, or pick one station and use it - I don't care, but I was squatting.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

I used to at my old gym. I just started squatting one day. He started to give me some crap - I just gave him "the look" and told him he could either work in, or pick one station and use it - I don't care, but I was squatting.

People are so obnoxious. Can’t wait to build a home gym when my membership is up in November lol.
    Options

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

Lol yes. Hey are you interested in a new neighbor? I can give you Dadpants and his crazy wife. Free even!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

e.g.

***Do 5 sets of this***
    Bench Press x 3
    Dumbbell Curls x 3
    Tricep Pulldowns x 3
    Dumbbell Press x 3
    EZ Bar Curls x 3
    Tricep Extensions x3
    Leg Press x 3
    Calf Press x 3
    Leg Extension x 3

Lol yes. Hey are you interested in a new neighbor? I can give you Dadpants and his crazy wife. Free even!

I think I'm all set with the neighbors I've got. They're all pretty quiet and keep to themselves LOL