Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I’ve been AF for June but I haven’t. If you can’t be honest here where can you be! Though I have cut back and have had some AF days it isn’t nearly as many as I want. I feel so great the next day when I don’t drink I have to wonder WTH is wrong with me that I don’t want to feel that way all the time! Oh well back to it.

I joined an aqua fit class that is every MW&F at 9am so I know I won’t drink the evening before because I can’t imagine getting into that pool and exercising hung over.

That is a tough question to answer. Some of us describe the desire to drink like a spoiled inner child that wants what he/she wants and doesn't care that the grown up part of us will have to deal with whatever fallout there is tomorrow.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Anyway, what is helping me most in this AF journey (after numerous starts and stops) is a focus on self care. My swim in the cold river tomorrow morning is a pleasure I won’t give up for the sake of some alcohol tonight. I deserve better.

So true!!!
  • Sinsanati
    Sinsanati Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    really having trouble staying AF. Advice?
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sinsanati wrote: »

Annie Grace's Alcohol Experiment really helped me. She has a daily note and podcast. It really makes you think and realize what alcohol does to you. It is free and an amazing resource.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Annie Grace's Alcohol Experiment really helped me. She has a daily note and podcast. It really makes you think and realize what alcohol does to you. It is free and an amazing resource.

I love the AE. I am thinking of redoing it to keep all the info fresh in my head. It will be interesting to compare my thoughts today to those 6 months ago. Her FB group is really great, too, it's a closed group so your FB friends cannot see your posts. It is so encouraging, supportive and informative.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I already mentioned finding a different way to occupy yourself during your drinking window. You may need to add accountability to that strategy if it is not working. Get a friend or relative involved in your new activity and tell them why.

Make a list of the reasons you want to quit for the rest of June. If you drink at home hang the list between you and your source of alcohol to remind yourself later. If the reasons include weight loss hang a picture there too. Prioritize your goal so that when you start your struggle you have more ammunition.

Remove the temptation. This is only a short term strategy in my opinion but if getting started gives you momentum then you need to stay away from the alcohol outside your home and get rid of the alcohol inside your home (maybe give it to a friend for safe keeping if you intend to drink again).

I don't want to push you to share if you are uncomfortable but if you do it might help someone that identifies with you a chance at catering advice to your situation.

ETA: This doesn't replace other advice you were given or may be given. This is to add to the list of ideas that might possibly help. Understand that what works for one person may not work for you. I, personally, don't respond to alternative drinks like tea or mocktails while some people swear by them as an effective aid. I do believe they help some people, maybe even most people, but they don't help me.

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    My dear mother in law of 32 years is in the hospital, probably dying today. My daughter had a beautiful baby girl 10 days ago. Being AF allows me to fully experience the joy and sorrow of these "circle of life" moments. I do not wish to dull either emotion with wine. I need to be fully present for my sad husband and father in law. I need to be on the ball for my daughter and her 2 little girls. I wish all my friends on this thread a good day and success with their personal goals. <3

Warm thoughts going your way during this difficult time. <3
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending hugs.
  • DogServant
    DogServant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mhansch wrote: »
    Hello. Alcohol has been the primary reason that I struggle with my weight. I would also like to join and not drink 5 days per week and only low calorie and moderation the others.

I feel ya! Get after it, and journey forward!!!
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969

big hugs Jewel <3