Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Today I ran 51.12 km (31 miles) and achieved my 2018 goal. :smile: Feeling ecstatic!

Celebrating with alcohol-free bubbly, sugar cube, bitters, orchard fruits juice, and raspberries - a mocktail I just invented.

Congratulations. And that mocktail sounds yummy. I'm gonna have a ginger beer :smiley:
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 sorry to hear of your families loss. Sending hugs your way
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this app but I'd like to join you this month and cut down on alcohol! I'll be on holiday the second part of the month and I really need to be in control and learn to say no!

Join us! Just post regularly and let us know how you're doing. Look back a few pages and find a fabulous resource by a member who put book titles, videos and links for anyone new to our thread.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @Orphia Congrats on a fabulous run! Mocktail sounds delicious!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Went to my client's today & there was a lovely bottle of a very nice dry red wine for ME!!! As a thank you for a favor I had done for them. I was going to take it to a dinner I had planned to attend this eve & then switched gears on the dinner when the time was pushed back....too late for moi....SO, I called a friend, planned a walk this afternoon & told her to remind me to give her a very nice bottle of dry red wine when we met up. And so I did!!

I briefly thought about bringing it home & saving it for friends when they stop by and then I thought....WHAT AM I THINKING??? That wine would be calling my name until I cracked it open or gave it away so I thought I'd save a step by giving it away. I can have liquor in my home & I'm perfectly fine, but dry red is my weakness.

Way to be mindful and strategic. Bravo!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I had an AF week (Mon-Thurs) and last night had 2 G & Ts in my garden. I’m v happy about that as I would usually have drunk a bottle of wine in the week and then on Friday, another bottle of wine, possibly followed by a few G & Ts. Feel much better as a result and have also lost 3lbs this week. Weight loss is so much easier without alcohol!

You saved thousands of calories. Good for you! Sounds like you are on track!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Haven’t checked in for awhile, had over 100 posts to catch up on.
    I’ve really gotten out of my good habits, and I was worried this would happen once the warm months arrived.
    But learning things is always the positive, applying them is the next step.
    Last week was Philly Beer Week, and working in my industry provided lots of opportunities to enjoy the city and free drinking. I really don’t regret it, I had some of the funnest nights of this year. But my body needs the healthier path again. I spent a lot of time with a good friend, but he also happens to be my “partner in crime” when it comes to drinking and so called “good timing.” When I was leaving work on Friday my last words were “I love you, but I don’t want to see you for awhile” hahaha
    I noticed I purposefully avoid these forums because I didn’t want the self guilt of admitting my downfalls, and I was “enjoying the chaos” ... if that makes any sense at all. Well here I am today and I hope that reading/posting here means I’m ready to get back to my healthy ways!

Hi @erikNJ That's some nice insight you had there. I can tell you're really trying hard at this. Great to see you back again. I should add I've noticed you have had a tough relationship with alcohol to try and deal with, and I'm impressed with your attitude. You've got my respect.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I bought an anniversary bottle of cognac in 2000. I looked it up today and it is selling for an average of about 4.5 times what I paid for it. It is nice to know I draw the line somewhere when I run low. I threatened to open it to see what it smelled like but my wife ran off with it. Even though the increased value on it is still modest I have been sitting on it for 18 years so she was not going to have any of my foolishness.

It did remind me that this is about the time of year I buy myself a nice bottle of scotch. I always buy 2 a year (1 about now and 1 around Thanksgiving) and drink them sparingly enough to last 5ish months or so. I am thinking about breaking that tradition though. I don't think I need extra temptation to drink outside of my intended goals. I know it sounds stupid but the main thing that bothers me about the plan is that the designated decanter will remain empty.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Went to my client's today & there was a lovely bottle of a very nice dry red wine for ME!!! As a thank you for a favor I had done for them. I was going to take it to a dinner I had planned to attend this eve & then switched gears on the dinner when the time was pushed back....too late for moi....SO, I called a friend, planned a walk this afternoon & told her to remind me to give her a very nice bottle of dry red wine when we met up. And so I did!!

I briefly thought about bringing it home & saving it for friends when they stop by and then I thought....WHAT AM I THINKING??? That wine would be calling my name until I cracked it open or gave it away so I thought I'd save a step by giving it away. I can have liquor in my home & I'm perfectly fine, but dry red is my weakness.

I would have had to give it away too. A bottle of nice red is too hard to resist. Go you!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Today I ran 51.12 km (31 miles) and achieved my 2018 goal. :smile: Feeling ecstatic!

Celebrating with alcohol-free bubbly, sugar cube, bitters, orchard fruits juice, and raspberries - a mocktail I just invented.

Congrats. That is amazing. I have lost my running mojo. I have run a 50k (like 10 years ago). Wish I could get back into it.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely sober weekend & did something that some will applaud yet others will think I'm a bit loopy. I don't really care either way because it is something I did that feels right for me. I've been watching a couple of recommended quit drinking videos on YouTube & the common theme is that alcohol is toxic, poison & specifies the harm it does to our bodies & our brain & I agree. Over 2 million people die annually due to alcohol. This is not my first rodeo attempting to be AF. I've been on & off for years. I've done some major foundational work on myself between bouts of self medicating.

Anyway, I have had several bottles of liquor some mostly full, others part full. Liquor is not my thing so it usually doesn't present much temptation for me...I'm a bit of a wino. So my stash of liquor was for guests mostly.

I began to really question my own reasons for wanting to be sober. I've already established that I will likely NEVER be a moderate drinker long term so I want to work at being sober long term. I decided to get rid of ALL my alcohol. I thought about gifting it to friends & then re-thought that. Would I give someone I love a good dose of poison? Of course I would not!!! After briefly considering how much $$ those bottles represented, I thought how much am I worth?? Way more than a half dozen bottles of booze. SO, I ..... (drum roll please) poured it ALL down the sink!!! Every last drop. Part of me was saying, "this is LOOPY!!" But the other part of me was saying, "You GO girl!!"

I concluded if I want to have a sober lifestyle I need to do what I can to maintain that. Which means that I can entertain without serving alcohol. I cannot control what others do when I'm being entertained, but I can control my end of things. It actually feels liberating!!

Congratulations!