June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For all the new runners in the thread, as we head into summer do not forget to watch the DEW POINT before planning your runs. Dew point is a better predictor than relative humidity on how bad the weather is going to impact your run. Here is a handy chart:

aau6xce95cwq.png
    SRC: http://througharunninglens.blogspot.com/2012/07/dew-point-and-runners-what-is-it-and.html

Thank you for this! This will be my first spring/summer running regularly and I've been struggling to figure out how to gage the weather ahead of time. It didn't occur to me to watch the dew point instead of relative humidity.

Congrats on your first race! Yay!!!

Dew point is key, but for summer running also pay attention to:

UV index - you will be out in the direct sun for a while - and UV does not care about clouds you can be burned very badly on an overcast day. Most sunscreens will fail in sweaty conditions so pay attention to that too. Get good eye protection from UV too if you can (some people can not run with sunglasses on). You only get one set of eyes, so take care of them.

Also remember that shirts have UV protection ratings too. Do not assume that you can not get burned while wearing a shirt. It can happen. Things that look opaque to our eyes are transparent to UV.

Running at different times during the day usually avoids the UV risk nicely. Check a site like Dark Sky that gives hourly UV ratings.

Clouds - Direct sun makes temps FEEL warmer than they are, clouds help reduce the FEEL of temps.

Temperature - This one is obvious :) Ideal running temperature is in the 55F ballpark for most people. The farther you get from that number, the harder your run.

Rain - A light rain is great, hail and lightning not so much. :) If you run trails remember that rain == mud. So be prepared for that.

Over time you will learn what conditions are bad/good for you specifically.

If you can afford it, buy the better "heat gear" style clothing. It helps A LOT but it is very very expensive in many places.

No dew point, rain or clouds here. We just have temperature. And sun. Lots of sun. I refer to it as the glowing ball of doom this time of year.

Stop your complaining, it is a "dry heat" - you know just like a convection oven. :lol:

Except we don't get freshly baked chocolate chip cookies when we open the front door. There's no reward like with the oven. HAH

I was thinking I need to move to wherever that is the case; but I also know this would cause me to become very fat and unhealthy.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    For all the new runners in the thread, as we head into summer do not forget to watch the DEW POINT before planning your runs. Dew point is a better predictor than relative humidity on how bad the weather is going to impact your run. Here is a handy chart:

aau6xce95cwq.png
    SRC: http://througharunninglens.blogspot.com/2012/07/dew-point-and-runners-what-is-it-and.html

Thank you for this! This will be my first spring/summer running regularly and I've been struggling to figure out how to gage the weather ahead of time. It didn't occur to me to watch the dew point instead of relative humidity.

UV index - you will be out in the direct sun for a while - and UV does not care about clouds you can be burned very badly on an overcast day. Most sunscreens will fail in sweaty conditions so pay attention to that too. Get good eye protection from UV too if you can (some people can not run with sunglasses on). You only get one set of eyes, so take care of them.

Also remember that shirts have UV protection ratings too. Do not assume that you can not get burned while wearing a shirt. It can happen. Things that look opaque to our eyes are transparent to UV.

Running at different times during the day usually avoids the UV risk nicely. Check a site like Dark Sky that gives hourly UV ratings.

Clouds - Direct sun makes temps FEEL warmer than they are, clouds help reduce the FEEL of temps.

Temperature - This one is obvious :) Ideal running temperature is in the 55F ballpark for most people. The farther you get from that number, the harder your run.

Rain - A light rain is great, hail and lightning not so much. :) If you run trails remember that rain == mud. So be prepared for that.

If you can afford it, buy the better "heat gear" style clothing. It helps A LOT but it is very very expensive in many places.

No dew point, rain or clouds here. We just have temperature. And sun. Lots of sun. I refer to it as the glowing ball of doom this time of year.

Stop your complaining, it is a "dry heat" - you know just like a convection oven. :lol:

Except we don't get freshly baked chocolate chip cookies when we open the front door. There's no reward like with the oven. HAH

I was thinking I need to move to wherever that is the case; but I also know this would cause me to become very fat and unhealthy.

Yeah seriously. It is bad enough that my new work is only 1/3rd of a mile walk from THE MILKSHAKE FACTORY.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent it's interesting about dew point, but our weather forecasts only ever show humidity. And when i look for one that DOES show dewpoint, I get this:

Bristol; current temperature 25 degrees C; humidity 37%; dew point 10 degrees. Can you explain what that means?

I do know that the UK tends towards high humidity. And when I was in Australia a few years ago, in Cairns when it was 36 degrees C (96.8F) it was so humid you could barely breathe, but in Alice Springs at 46 degrees C (114F) and dry, it was pretty comfortable.

Not sure, I can not find a good chart in Celsius. I did find this:

8yqu4po4co2c.png

But that is just for like walking around. My GUESS is that you would shift that chart one level worse for whatever it says, but that is just a guess. You will just have to experiment I guess.

General run of thumb, the higher the dew point the harder the run, and it appears at a glance to be an exponential curve.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Speaking of dew point...

Today here in the west suburbs of Chicago, it is 64 degrees F, humidity 93% and dew point 62 degrees. That's pretty dang humid. Yet the cooler temps made it bearable to run outside today.

Once again the first two miles were terrible and it started to feel better once I got past the two mile mark. I did a whopping total of 3.2 miles today in a stellar time of 41 minutes. But I managed to maintain an average pace just below 13 minutes, so that was good.

Something that has been happening lately whenever I run outside... my left foot gets numb and tingly after a while It doesn't happen on the treadmill, only outside. I made sure my shoes weren't too tight, so I doubt that's the culprit. The main difference between running on the mill and running outside for me is that I wear my running belt outside to carry my phone, whereas I don't wear it on the mill. Could that be causing the numb foot issue? Maybe the belt is too tight and it's pressing on some nerve somewhere? Hmm...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Speaking of dew point...

Today here in the west suburbs of Chicago, it is 64 degrees F, humidity 93% and dew point 62 degrees. That's pretty dang humid. Yet the cooler temps made it bearable to run outside today.

Once again the first two miles were terrible and it started to feel better once I got past the two mile mark. I did a whopping total of 3.2 miles today in a stellar time of 41 minutes. But I managed to maintain an average pace just below 13 minutes, so that was good.

Something that has been happening lately whenever I run outside... my left foot gets numb and tingly after a while It doesn't happen on the treadmill, only outside. I made sure my shoes weren't too tight, so I doubt that's the culprit. The main difference between running on the mill and running outside for me is that I wear my running belt outside to carry my phone, whereas I don't wear it on the mill. Could that be causing the numb foot issue? Maybe the belt is too tight and it's pressing on some nerve somewhere? Hmm...

So it is POSSIBLE that the belt is pinching something - but doubtful. Easy to check, just take it off and run without it and see if the problem goes away.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »

@Elise4270 as a friend and goal-setter and I will do the Duathlon with her next month. I got out late yesterday and did 15.75 hot, sweaty bike miles yesterday. I probably should have done the brick workout like Elise did, but my legs were trash. It was so windy that I was working to go downhill!!!

LOL! I thought the same thing. "I should have sucked it up and biked 14-15 miles like Becky!" Because i chickened out on the hill climb. Haha! Then i saw that a coworker on strava swam and i thought "i was up early, i should have swam"... oh how easy it is to find motivation when you surround yourself with active people.

I put together a guesstimated training plan where:
    Monday....... run 2 miles
    Tuesday...... mtn bike 30-60 min
    Wednesday 60 min brick
    Thursday.....run 2 miles
    Friday..........rest and eat
    Saturday..... LR or 90 min brick
    Sunday.........90 min brick or LR
    (I will flip flop MTR from run to bike, and bike to run every other week)

I feel that might be an aggressive schedule... But 30 min bike or run isnt that demanding. And I've got to get this left glute strengthened up.

I dont know how much conditioning i can accomplish in 5.8 weeks. I ate extra calories for lunch since i worked so hard thinkin' up a plan :smiley:

Now to buy some tri shorts and replace the spare bike tire and CO2 canisters dh nicked from me.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

aau6xce95cwq.png

Thank you. I'll be traveling to London in July and that will be useful. I live in the desert on a mountain, so dew point is generally a non issue here. Now the 105° temp today, yeah, that isn't much fun.

The cynic in me (I'm British, all we talk about is the weather) will say that come July you'll probably be looking at humidity of 100%, cold weather and plenty of rain.......

I'd love it (was in London last July). I live near El Paso, TX.... July averages well over 100° every day, when it rains, there's no cooling effect, just the humidity skyrockets. I also live on a mountain, so going to GB I get to experience a lot more oxygen and NO 50mph sustained wind dust storms that have been known to remove the paint off of buildings. You also don't have rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, brown reculses and other venomous critters that like to hang out, so that is a very good thing. Plus, you have much better beer.

For me, visiting GB in the summer would be akin to a few British friends that like to visit me in February.... There is a good chance that you'll need shorts and t-shirts for February here. And while you may have better beer, our whiskey is cheaper. It's just a break of one's own weather.

Also, excuse me but you do talk about things other than the weather. It's rare, but when I was watching futbol on my phone (I have access to all of the Americas teams, except Brazil for some reason), I found a second topic of discussion you (Brits as a whole) enjoy.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks. It’s less trying to figure out the conversion and more that our weather forecasts just don’t focus on dew point.

What I DO know, is that what I think of as hot, probably isn’t hot for some of you guys.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @VUA21 lol. No, we don’t have extremes of weather, and the most poisonous/dangerous things in the countryside are probably plants. Or cows. Cows kill quite a few people.

Cold rain gets boring. There’s a special kind of rain that penetrates your skin within seconds.

Glad you like our beer. I’m quite partial to it too, as to whisky, well, we can differ on that...

As to that ‘futbol’ thing, I can assure you I am more likely to discuss rugby, cricket or tennis (Wimbledon only) than before THAT dull sport!!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Anyone want 10% off at swim outlet?

https://invite.swimoutlet.com/x/pTouHe
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    @VUA21 lol. No, we don’t have extremes of weather, and the most poisonous/dangerous things in the countryside are probably plants. Or cows. Cows kill quite a few people.

Cold rain gets boring. There’s a special kind of rain that penetrates your skin within seconds.

Glad you like our beer. I’m quite partial to it too, as to whisky, well, we can differ on that...

As to that ‘futbol’ thing, I can assure you I am more likely to discuss rugby, cricket or tennis (Wimbledon only) than before THAT dull sport!!!!

I believe it's Latin annoucers that make the sport more interesting for us. I also enjoy Tennis (yes, almost exclusively Wimbledon, Olympics is only every four years). I prefer Hockey, not too many Games in July though. I also said whiskey prices... 15yr Macallan runs about $70-80 here (standard bottle), cheaper If I drive 15 minutes south and go to Mexico - almost no liquor taxes!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks. It’s less trying to figure out the conversion and more that our weather forecasts just don’t focus on dew point.

What I DO know, is that what I think of as hot, probably isn’t hot for some of you guys.

Oh. You can calculate it: http://www.dpcalc.org :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

aau6xce95cwq.png

Hahaha! According to this chart and a dew point calculator, I should skip my run tomorrow morning... and the rest of the week. LOL
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Oh for a little heat. I'm about to head out the door into cold rain.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

aau6xce95cwq.png

In my neighborhood I have the Tasti factory (the clue is in the name - they package nuts, seeds and dried fruit but also make muesli bars, bliss balls and the like), so frequently on my runs the air is filled with the overwhelming smell of chocolate, and sometimes berries. It’s simply delicious. I can’t imagine what living right next door must be like.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

that's weird(to me) cause our forecasts focus on dewpoints, windchills, and "real" feels. they also talk about allergens and asthma