I am somehow gaining weight on a calorie deficit..

Options
My stats:

Male,5'4(Yeah I am short lol). I started my diet weighing 188. I am now 175-180. But there is the problem.

I have a calorie limit of 1540 a day. I hardly ever hit it. I drink a shake in the morning (Protein) and one for lunch. Eat chicken, rice, black beans for dinner.

I was losing weight rapidly (Who knows maybe just water weight) but now? I don't even like weighing my self. One day I was at 169..next day 175 then 181. I am losing motivation here..I am not exercising much (I only play knockout league on the PlayStation virtual reality).

What is going on? It's depressing to somehow while hardly eating much gain 10 pounds and I am drinking plenty of water. My digital scale seems to say I weigh much more than my analog one does. Analog says 175 most days while the digital just *kitten* on my day lol. usually 6-7 pounds heavily there.

My gf (of course) says I looks thinner but not seeing it. Scales don't lie.

Replies

• awesometin
    awesometin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the additional information. Am I eating the right amount then? Some articles I read suggest that eating less simply doesn't work but it did for a while for me. I doubt my body is going into starvation mode as some people suggest in articles.
  • awesometin
    Options

1. Are you weighing everything you eat?
    2. How long have you been at this?
    3.Just pick one scale and use/trust it.

1. Yes. I usually like shakes for this reason because I use the scanner. But even for rice and chicken, I measure it. There is no way I am somehow mismeasuring what I eat by about 800 calories if by the time it is lunch time I have only consumed about 300 for the day. Half a cup of rice usually, 8oz chicken, one serving size of black beans.

2. Started April 24, 2018 till now.

3. I should try that I guess. I started with analog. GF suggested a digital but that one just depressed me lol
  • awesometin
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    awesometin wrote: »
    Thanks for the additional information. Am I eating the right amount then? Some articles I read suggest that eating less simply doesn't work but it did for a while for me. I doubt my body is going into starvation mode as some people suggest in articles.

Which articles are you reading? Are they properly sourced and based upon sound scientific rationale?

Good that you doubt this as starvation mode does not exist.

You need to use one scale. This doesn't need to be accurate, but it does need to be precise to identify trends.

My water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day based on hydration. Everyone's does for the most part, but they aren't aware of it.

Honestly, I just Google the topic and find articles of it. Some have been on the body lifting forum which most of the time seems like nothing but trolls. Still, I read an article from a professor supposedly saying if it was that easy to lose weight he would not have a job (Eating less then you burn).

• awesometin
    Options

1. Are you weighing everything you eat?
    2. How long have you been at this?
    3.Just pick one scale and use/trust it.

1. Yes. I usually like shakes for this reason because I use the scanner. But even for rice and chicken, I measure it. There is no way I am somehow mismeasuring what I eat by about 800 calories if by the time it is lunch time I have only consumed about 300 for the day. Half a cup of rice usually, 8oz chicken, one serving size of black beans.

So NO, you're not weighing anything.

3. Started April 24, 2018 till now.

And it's been less than 1 month.

Trust the process, give the process time to work.
    3. I should try that I guess. I started with analog. GF suggested a digital but that one just depressed me lol

The number doesn't matter, the trend matters. As long as the scale is consistently showing the same reading from measurement to measurement then just pick one and go.

OTOH, if you step on 3 times and get 3 different numbers that are more than about 1% different, then you've got a scale problem.

Okay please elaborate then on weighing food. I am measuring it so I make sure I am not overeating. What else should I be doing? I know it's well over my calorie salary for the day. I hardly even eat up to it unless weekends.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Also, does your scale "live" in one stationary place on a hard/flat surface, or do you need to bring it out to use it? Moving it every time or using a scale that is not on a hard/flat surface introduces inaccuracy.

Fluctuations are normal, but seeing 11-pound fluctuations is less normal -- it suggests you have introduced some kind of user error into the process.

I've gone up by 10 or so pounds over a weekend with Friday pizza (moderate amount) and Saturday Sushi. Ate at roughly maintenance that weekend, but an overall 5000 calorie deficit total for that week. "Gained" 10 pounds. "Lost" 12 pounds later that next week.

Wasn't necessarily a normal weekend, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Add in a new exercise program and retain a little more...
  • awesometin
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Now to answer some of the questions but without quoting.

My scale is just in the bathroom with hardwood floors.

Thanks for the link to food scales. But it sounds like your suggesting I am taking in much more calories than I am. Let's say I am. I have two shakes throughout the week daily. Breakfast and lunch. 150 each. That is 300 calories. I know this because it's on the label and barcode scanner. My daily allowed intake is 1540 now.

So..my last meal of the day is somehow over 1240 calories? Did I miscalculate that much by not weighing?

Cooked rice only half a cup. Chicken about 8 ounces and really the only thing that sorta gets eyed but it's barely any chicken. It's depressing how little really. and measure in a cup black beans.

I just don't see how I am going over because I didn't weigh the same meal every day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Which articles are you reading? Are they properly sourced and based upon sound scientific rationale?

Good that you doubt this as starvation mode does not exist.

You need to use one scale. This doesn't need to be accurate, but it does need to be precise to identify trends.

My water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day based on hydration. Everyone's does for the most part, but they aren't aware of it.

Honestly, I just Google the topic and find articles of it. Some have been on the body lifting forum which most of the time seems like nothing but trolls. Still, I read an article from a professor supposedly saying if it was that easy to lose weight he would not have a job (Eating less then you burn).

...an article from a professor attempting to protect their occupation?

The process is simple - eat less and move more. It's the implementation that is difficult. Quite possibly the most difficult challenge a human will ever face - changing their behavior.