I am somehow gaining weight on a calorie deficit..

Options

Replies

• awesometin
    awesometin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My shakes are not powder ones. I drink the protein ones that come bottled already. Some days it's Slimfast and other days it's premier.
  • awesometin
    Options
    I'm very cautious to say this, but you may need to eat more. At least weigh and make sure you are hitting 1500 calories daily. With all your activity, you should probably be eating way more than 1500 calories per day. You have to fuel your body and you sound like you are not. (I am not saying "starvation mode" cuz that's not a thing, but adaptive thermogenesis is.)

I'm 43 years old, female, lift heavy 5 days a week, and can lose easily on 1800 calories per day. My TDEE is ~2700 calories per day.

Eating more just makes me feel guilty. I feel bad enough when I eat up to my calories on the weekend. You are lifting though and so your body is burning more calories. I am not so I don't think I can compare.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    awesometin wrote: »
    I'm very cautious to say this, but you may need to eat more. At least weigh and make sure you are hitting 1500 calories daily. With all your activity, you should probably be eating way more than 1500 calories per day. You have to fuel your body and you sound like you are not. (I am not saying "starvation mode" cuz that's not a thing, but adaptive thermogenesis is.)

I'm 43 years old, female, lift heavy 5 days a week, and can lose easily on 1800 calories per day. My TDEE is ~2700 calories per day.

Eating more just makes me feel guilty. I feel bad enough when I eat up to my calories on the weekend. You are lifting though and so your body is burning more calories. I am not so I don't think I can compare.

You still have to fuel your body and your activity.

Which is one of the reasons it's good to weigh everything. You may be closer to the 1500 than you think you are.
  • awesometin
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It's probably been said already (didn't bother reading the entire thread) but, if you are gaining weight, you are NOT in a calorie deficit.

You just need to accept CICO to understand that and the solution is simply to eat less and/or exercise more.

So below 1500 (some days just drink 3 shakes and it's about 500 calories) but still not in a calorie deficit? Hmm ok.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Take a day to weigh everything you eat and compare it to your eye-balled days. It can't hurt (you'll be out money for the food scale, but it has other uses).
  • awesometin
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Take a day to weigh everything you eat and compare it to your eye-balled days. It can't hurt (you'll be out money for the food scale, but it has other uses).

I'll take that advice. from the sounds of it the weight change happens and shouldn't worry too much as long as I am still in a deficit. Not going to take the advice of eating much less than I already am. Seems like I would just end up binging eventually.
  • awesometin
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, you've already gotten lots of great info. I just wanted to add...

Your diet sounds kind of miserable to me, but is that the way YOU like to eat? Because if you lose weight eating like this, what are you going to do to maintain? It can be really helpful to find a way to eat that will keep you at the right calorie level for the rest of your life that you enjoy. So many people struggle through restrictive diets and then gain it all back because they still don't really know how to eat normally.

I hear a lot of guilt and frustration in your posts about food. You need to work on that. Food is fuel, and it can be a pleasure. There is no reason to feel guilty about eating yummy food. There is no reason to feel guilty for eating an appropriate number of calories.

For most of us, the food scale made dieting so much easier. No guessing, no wondering, no rounding. Just good accurate data.

Double check the entries that you are using in the database are correct. Note that the info for cooked chicken and raw chicken are different, so use the entry that matches the state you weighed it in. Even when you scan food, it isn't taking the info off the item, it's finding a similar entry in the database, and it isn't always right.

It's not a race, and weight loss isn't linear. If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week, that's too aggressive for your stats. Take a deep breath, take some times to let all this info marinate in your brain, and good luck!

Thanks for all the info! So far everyone in here helped. Except the "too long didn't read, eat less" post lol.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the info! So far everyone in here helped. Except the "too long didn't read, eat less" post lol.

I may have missed a post, but I didn't see anyone tell you to eat less. What the posters saying that you are not in a deficit mean is that you are likely eating more than you think you are because you are not weighing your food. So you think you are eating 1500 calories, but you are actually eating more than that. Try weighing everything that goes in your mouth for a few week, then reassess.

• awesometin
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It's probably been said already (didn't bother reading the entire thread) but, if you are gaining weight, you are NOT in a calorie deficit.

You just need to accept CICO to understand that and the solution is simply to eat less and/or exercise more.

So below 1500 (some days just drink 3 shakes and it's about 500 calories) but still not in a calorie deficit? Hmm ok.

Are you worried about the cortisol from putting so much stress on your body contributing to higher water weight fluctuations? 500 calories some days combined with guilt over reaching 1500 calories is a big red flag.

cortisol? The steroid? Sorry not understanding this post much. I somedays just don't feel like eating is all. Or by the time I am really hungry the day has gone by and it's already like 11pm and don't want to eat and sleep for fear of gaining.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    do you eat this every single day?

And to reiterate what others have said already, guessing or using cups to measure is unreliable so get a food scale - you won't regret it.
  • awesometin
    Options
    do you eat this every single day?

And to reiterate what others have said already, guessing or using cups to measure is unreliable so get a food scale - you won't regret it.

I do eat that just about daily. Always have several meals already made. I am aware of all the post that I need to now get a food scale. But I am eating the same thing practically every day. My last meal of day is not 1200+ so I must not be going over.

Also someone asked,

I only drink water and my shake. Not fruit shake. Mostly slimfast style shakes. Replacement meals. No soda or anything like that.

Well..I had one beer this weekend lol
  • awesometin
    Options
    Thanks for the help all. I will weigh myself in a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I will try to be less miserable on my food but hard to when you let yourself go -.- used to weigh 135 when I was 18. Now 28 and I have a "dad body" lol. Please don't take offense if you're a dad and are fit. It was a joke..that joke didn't go well a while ago with one of my friends.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Oh ok I was thinking how could someone eat the same thing day in day out without sickening themselves of it.

It is hard to believe your meal could be 1200. What about the shakes - are you mixing them with milk? Adding anything else to them? Do they come in pre measured sachets?