The Magic Pill - Netflix Doc

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Netflix doc “The Magic Pill”?

It’s a doc about the Keto diet and it’s anecdotal (it even uses the term anecdotal in the opening) health benefits. A very interesting and compelling documentary for sure. Albeit, I’m not jumping on the Keto train because of it haha.

Made me wonder who here has seen it (and what did you think)? And for those that follow a Keto diet do you do it for weight loss or for other supposed health benefits?

And the "Dr's" quoted aren't actual medical Dr's, they're authors who wrote books on how to keto. Conflict of interest much? You'll have to pry carbs out of my cold dead hands (since I'm too strong because of all the carbs I eat to be able to take them from me while I'm alive).

and dairy. you can't have my dairy
    or meat.
    you can't have my food, period
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Netflix doc “The Magic Pill”?

It’s a doc about the Keto diet and it’s anecdotal (it even uses the term anecdotal in the opening) health benefits. A very interesting and compelling documentary for sure. Albeit, I’m not jumping on the Keto train because of it haha.

Made me wonder who here has seen it (and what did you think)? And for those that follow a Keto diet do you do it for weight loss or for other supposed health benefits?

And the "Dr's" quoted aren't actual medical Dr's, they're authors who wrote books on how to keto. Conflict of interest much? You'll have to pry carbs out of my cold dead hands (since I'm too strong because of all the carbs I eat to be able to take them from me while I'm alive).

No. They seem to be ph.d scientists or medical doctors. There is Nina Teicholz (spelling?) who is an author, and then there is another journalist talking about the Dr Tim Noakes trial... I may have forgotten someone. Who called themselves a doctor but wasn't?

Really, the carbs they are talking about in the film were highly processed and refined carbs. People were still eating veggies and some fruits. No one advocated removing those from a diet.

People on keto typically have to limit their consumption of vegetables and fruits though and they're often avoiding or limiting even non-processed and refined carbohydrates like whole grains and beans. So if eating a higher level of carbohydrates is something that one finds useful or pleasant for satiety, reaching specific fitness goals, or enjoying how they taste, keto might not be the best fit.

That you can have some fruits and vegetables on keto doesn't change the fact that it's way too low for some of us to find pleasant, sustainable, or useful for fitness.

The elimination of beans and legumes I found to be the most bizarre. Since I’ve been trying to eat a bit healthier I’ve found so many amazing recipes using beans and legumes and couldn’t imagine cutting them out. I also imagine going Keto would be next to impossible if you were a vegetarian.

Also, apologies if this post is ridiculously long - quoting on mobile app is still a skill that eludes me!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not going to argue or debate but the ketogenic diet was not invented for those with epilepsy (or any other medical condition) which has kinda sorta been mentioned twice in this thread. The ketogenic diet has been around at least since the 1860s and was popularized at that time by an obese undertaker named William Banting. The diet was suggested to him by an unnamed physician (See Letter on Corpulence).

Fasting was used for epilepsy as far back as ancient Greek times. The more routine use of a ketogenic diet for epilepsy began sometime around the 1920s since it is considered to mimic fasting and deemed more practical than fasting every day of one's life ;) and have better adherence.

Carry on.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it would work but it's not for me. I'm trying to change my lifestyle and I know for sure if I was able to do it for a short time it would be just that, a short time. Good luck
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not everybody thinks so highly of it: https://synapses.co.za/the-magic-pill-pete-evans-does-documentary/

Netflix "documentaries" are nothing but one-sided hack job propaganda pieces full of hype, fearmongering and pseudoscience. And this one is no exception.

I saw Pete Evens and immediately put it on my do not watch list.

I avoid anything by/promoted by the same "quack" who publishes recipes for paleo baby formula (which is actually harmful due to high levels of vitamin A in bone broth) and discourages the use of suncreen in a country with one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Okay rant over, feeling much better now o:)

There was even talk of banning this in Australia because of the health risks it could cause. Paleo Pete is a celebrity chef and knows SAT about proper nutrition and science except for a bit of an online course somewhere.