June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    Does pacing back and forth in a slow elevator because the stupid building you are in LOCKS THE STAIRWELL DOORS count as walking up hill?

Um... isn't that a fire hazard?

Most of the places I've work do this too - you can enter the stairwell on any floor but only exit on the first/ground floor. As I found out when I thought I'd walk from the 14th to 12th floors rather than take an elevator and ended up going down 14 flights in heels.

I didn't think it was a fire hazard as long as you can exit to the stairwell. Entering one floor from another floor at the building I work at is possible but frowned upon because several different state agencies occupy the same building. Protection of data, etc. are the reason given.

Actually it is s fire hazard in the case the fire is below you. All doors should automatically unlock when the fire alarm goes off.

Point. And now that you say that, I remember being told that was supposed to happen during a fire drill once. I understand the other security aspects of it, but I still think it says something about the way we prioritize physical activity that we don't build our buildings in such a way as to encourage more movement.

I agree. By design, our security doors will actually open if you pull on the hard for a fairly short period of time. However, when they open alarms will sound.

In my building, I can take the stairs DOWN from the 5th floor (all though there is a sign on it that says alarm will sound if you do it is lieing), but I can not take them UP because all the entrance doors to the stairs on the first floor are locked. I have no idea why. I have not tried to exit on a level other than mine because there are many other businesses in the building, and some take up complete floors.

But you can access all of those floors via elevator, right? I'm a bit confused about how locking the stairwell does anything for security.

Most of the time there is a card reader that will only allow access to your company’s floor or security at a desk when you get off the elevator. At least that is the case in our buildings. We have card readers on all the stairway doors on one side of the building so if you want to go up the stairs you can go up those. I was a building facility person for years. We have also had floors where you can get off and elevator into a small lobby but glass doors prevented you from hallways. The doors had card readers.

@mobycarp I’m sorry to hear about the test I hope it heals quickly.
    @amymoreorless love the alarms
    @ereck44 glad you are feeling better. Good poisoning is horrible

Rest day for me today.

Not here. I could get off on any floor I wanted.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    steady state pace 6 miler this am. 6.1 at 8 mpm.
    @amymoreorless That's me but it's a snooze thing that occurs. I keep telling myself 5 more minutes.
    @MobyCarp the battle to get/stay healthy rages on. We are all rooting for you.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Pretty much same set up at the building I work in. A visitor does have to go through security to get in the building but after security lets them in they could push any button to any floor. They would not get much further than that though because you have to have an access card for the doors to the offices on each floor. Security usually calls us and tells us who is there and that they are on their way up.

@PastorVincent Have you asked about it being locked?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - LOL on the alarms. I've got something similar but I don't like to have mine on the 5's, no reason, other than just being weird. I have 4:07, 4:13, 4:17. I have been trying something for about 6 months where I put my phone in the other room at night to help me sleep better. So I have an old fashioned battery alarm clock next to the bed now. Well.. it looks old fashioned except when you go to set the alarm, you do set it digitally.

6/1 - strength training - w15-D
    6/2 -3.2 miles treadmill
    6/3 - 4.3 miles Kansas City
    6/4- 5 miles + strength training - in hotel gym so not my usual
    6/5 - 5 miles
    6/6 - 5 miles +strength training - in hotel gym
    6/7 - 5 miles
    6/8 - 5 miles
    6/9 - travel/REST day
    6/10 - 54 miles cycling
    6/11 - strength training W16
    6/12 - 5 miles
    6/13 - strength training and hopefully cycling tonight

exercise.png

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    6/1 13.88 miles
    6/2 16.47 miles
    6/3 10.3 miles
    6/4 14.41 miles
    6/5 14.29 miles
    6/6 16.42 miles
    6/7 16.3 miles
    6/8 17.13 miles
    6/9 20.09 miles
    6/10 1.01 miles
    6/11 15.34 miles
    6/12 13.75 miles
    6/13 15.31 miles

Little sprinkles at the beginning of the run, but really not enough to measure. Humidity on the rise, but I do better with heat and humidity.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - Pretty much same set up at the building I work in. A visitor does have to go through security to get in the building but after security lets them in they could push any button to any floor. They would not get much further than that though because you have to have an access card for the doors to the offices on each floor. Security usually calls us and tells us who is there and that they are on their way up.

@PastorVincent Have you asked about it being locked?

We have a security guard at the front door, but they pretty much ignore people and people just walk past them right onto the elevators.

Have not asked. None of my coworkers know and I do not know who I could safely bug outside of them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent if you can get off any floor then I’m going with “that’s weird”.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    dp, see later post

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent if you can get off any floor then I’m going with “that’s weird”.

Yep, security theater. You might be surprised how many places are "secured" that way. Its actually somewhat effective.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Jun  13     3.9        3.9 

Well ... better late than never!

The new edition of my NB running shoes moved to $150, which is a little rich for me. I've moved to a different, more affordable style still using the Fresh Foam soles, but I'm on the lookout for alternatives. Any suggestions? Middle-aged, 175lb male, which is about right for 5'11". I tend to heel-strike more than I should. Fairly regular stride, although the outside of the heels tend to wear much faster than the rest (on the shoes, that is).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    Date      Miles      MTD

The new edition of my NB running shoes moved to $150, which is a little rich for me. I've moved to a different, more affordable style still using the Fresh Foam soles, but I'm on the lookout for alternatives. Any suggestions? Middle-aged, 175lb male, which is about right for 5'11". I tend to heel-strike more than I should. Fairly regular stride, although the outside of the heels tend to wear much faster than the rest (on the shoes, that is).

So good to see you here!

Road shoes? I recently purchased a pair of On Clouds. They might be similar to what you are looking for. They were 160$ though. Guess thats no help. Mizuno's? I have road and trail mizunos. I like them both. The road shoes shrank a bit when i washed them though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Ya, coming back to running just sucks. I think every run, i have the thought of giving up. Its hard. Youll get it back. Dont give up.

ETA i see some heavier folks out running. They dont look like buffalo. I got serious respect for them. Im going to start high fiving them. Freekin' running is not for the weak minded. Most of them can kick my *kitten*.any day of the week, on the track. They are some tough *kitten*. DH tried to keep up with a bigger woman on his last half, she out ran him.

Dont let that weight hold you back. Think "right now, its making me stronger". And when you're a lean mean running machine you'll have the wisdom (been there) to inspire newbies.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    6/1 - scheduled rest
    6/2 - 10.10 km
    6/3 - 1.62 km
    6/4 - 5.10 km
    6/5 - feh
    6/6 - 5.44 km
    6/7 to 6/11 - Nada
    6/12 - 1.89 + 2.01 km
    6/14 - 9.60 km

35.76/120 km not gonna make goal this month!

This morning was better. Except I got out about 10 minutes later than planned and then it was a mad dash to get to work on time.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon)
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    Date      Miles      MTD

Spend an afternoon/early evening (when you've been up and about for hours) trying on all the shoes you like the look of and are in your price bracket.

Buy the ones that feel the most comfortable.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    6/1-1.08mi
    6/2-1.08 (5 hours aerial yoga)
    6/3-1.08mi
    6/4-1.01mi
    6/5-1.08mi with 23 flights of stairs.
    6/6-6.05mi
    6/7-1.5mi
    6/8-1.01mi
    6/9-3.13mi 37:09 official 36:54 garmin
    6/10-1.66mi and 1.08mi speed walk
    6/11-1.01mi
    6/13-5.36mi

i was feeling the humidty. i wanted to go a little harder but the dogs were having a hard time with it. they actually waded in their wading pool instead of using it as a giant bowl.
    things were feeling tweaky a bit but nothing painful. i'm a little disappointed in my saucony. my two street running shoes i barely get to 250 before i start getting sore shins, but my brooks are up to 400 and almost no pain.

exercise.png

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I have sworn off Saucony road shoes. My last pair I didn't track mileage properly but I'm pretty sure it was less than 200 km before I felt like my legs were being torn in half every time I ran. Didn't want to believe it was the shoes since they were so new, actually!

I'm rotating between a 9 month old pair of Asics Kayanos now (on their way out, but not quite dead yet), a new pair of Kayanos and my Salming EnRoutes.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @sarahthes i like them, they were my first shoe but i can't afford to replace them like that.
    i like asics but they are too tight in the toe box and tight around my arches. and i have high arches.
    i think i'll go get fitted again.
    glad i'm not the only one