Confused!

Options
I totally get that weight loss isnt linear and that there can be days or even weeks when you won't lose anything. What confuses me is that I can go though say a 6 month period of eating pretty much what I want and gradually putting on around 10-14lb. When I start counting calories and cutting out cake and pizza I lose 4-5lb in a month and then it slows down. Will it take me the full 6 months to lose what I put on?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you lose quickly at the start because a chunk is water weight.
  • Floydo2014
    Floydo2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is that the water in the fat cells?
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Floydo2014 wrote: »
    I think I saw a program once that said it mostly came from your liver. And as you continue maintaining the weightloss deficit you body adjusts and you gain back the water in your liver (this helps explain plateaus), because it's supposed to be there.

I don't have a source for this however and I don't want to spread misinformation, is anyone able to confirm/find sources?
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as your weight decreases, your calorie requirement (and deficit) also decrease. Example:
    Starting weight: 150lbs
    Starting cals with 500 cal deficit: 1750
    Current weight: 145lbs (3% bw lost)
    Current deficit should reduce by 3% too making them 1700.

Make sense?
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    If you have only gained 10-15 lbs, then you are back at losing "the last 10" or so--which is usually very slow, no matter if you have been in maintenance for a while before gaining them, or if they are the last 10 at the end of a steady 90 lb loss. You could probably tell US what you learn about it--6 months to gain, how many months to lose? As someone said, it will probably take longer--the question is, how much longer?

^^ This. The last 10 is hard, the last 5 even harder. I found my loss almost undetectable. I have to log weight daily here and look at the way the zig zag gets ever more slowly closer to goal (asymptotically approaches for you math geeks out there).... If data doesn't make you squee, then just get a trending app. Consistency and accuracy and the long term is the key.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

No - not much water in fat cells.

Usually the mere act of watching what you eat causes people to eat lower sodium levels than prior - decent amount of water weight lost there. Besides fact of less food means less sodium too usually.

Eating less causes less carbs to be available for storage in muscles (liver gets first dibs on available so it's usually topped off when possible) which has attached water.

Less food in stomach too.

There's first big water weight drop, that will come right back when you start eating at maintenance.

Many times exercise being started now causes a water weight gain, so initial big loss, then nothing or a gain, even if fat is still being lost, and inches are going down.
    Blood volume increases for increased transport of more oxygen and cooling to muscles being used more now.
    Increased carb storage in muscles with attached water for the workload being put on them - so while initial decrease due to less carbs, now an increase if possible (though still below what body would desire usually, and again eating at maintenance means a bigger increase than what was lost).
  • Floydo2014
    Floydo2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for great insights! Does mfp adjust the calorie
    allowance as you loose weight?
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have found that I have to update it as I go as it will not automatically change. I do this like once a month or so but you could do it weekly on weigh in days. This is my experience at least!
  • richardkarate
    richardkarate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi joined 10 days ago just looking around and read this good look with your loss
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

After you have logged a 10 lb total weight loss - it asks if you want to adjust calorie goals.

Any less than that is so minor in calories just not worth the hassle.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    First off, cortisol release is acute with exercise. While dieting history is important, but not as much as diet as a whole. As above, when you cut carbs, such as cake and pizza, along with adding exercise, you can and do use muscle glycogen. When you shed glycogen, you shed water. Are you weighing and measuring food? I understand eating clean, but when you hit a plateau.... then what? Eat cleaner? quoting layne norton btw.