June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    4.2 miles in. 37.4 to go. Today was rest so my miles were walking. Tomorrow, back to running.
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    edited June 2018
    It's raining again. Not just raining but pouring with thunder and lightning. I was really looking forward to a morning run. (Never thought I'd say that!)
    Guess I'll head downstairs to the elliptical...
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Love the snorkeling pictures @HonuNui!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Still nuts this month. Life is crazy. Here's where I'm at:

6/1 - 2.1 miles with my daughter, then 3.5 on my own.
    6/2 - Out of town for a baseball tournament.
    6/3 - 4.7 miles.
    6/4 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    6/5 - Unplanned rest day.
    6/6 - 5 miles on National Running Day.
    6/7 - 5.05 miles of group track / speed work, then weights and abs.
    6/8 - Rest day.
    6/9 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    6/10 - 6.2 miles.
    6/11 - Baseball day.
    6/12 - 3.5 treadmill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    6/13 - Unplanned rest day. Rough overnight with kids / dog.
    6/14 - 5.25 treadmill miles. Trek class.

42.1/100
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Bleh run this morning. I was noticing some knee twinges when I ran on Tuesday and thought "that's no good, I should see if I need new shoes" and then forgot about it because work has been crazy this week. I skipped running yesterday because I really needed the extra hour of sleep, then went out to make it up this morning. Absolutely beautiful weather (70 degrees, dew point 52 degrees) but even before I started I was feeling some discomfort in my right foot. About a mile in, the knee joined in, and when my right hip decided to get in on the fun, I cut the run short. I tried running a couple of times on nice flat bits, but decided I really didn't want to push it. These shoes only have a hair under 115 miles on them and the internet seems to think that I should be good for 300-500 miles, but I have been known to be tough on my shoes even when I'm not running in them. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

c4k4zb35k6gc.jpg

JUNE MILES:
    6/1 Fr - 0:26:41 - 2.40
    6/2 Sa - 0:54:37 - 4.73
    6/3 Su - rest
    6/4 Mo - lifted heavy things
    6/5 Tu - 0:32:23 - 3.00
    6/6 We - 0:22:47 - 2.11
    6/7 Th - 0:11:16 - 0.96 warm up jog, lifted heavy things
    6/8 Fr - 2.01
    6/9 Sa - 0:21:35 - 1.54 - (fun run), 0:32:07 - 3.00
    6/10 Su - rest
    6/11 Mo - lifted heavy things
    6/12 Tu - 0:27:29 - 2.57
    6/13 We - rest
    6/14 Th - 0:25:52 - 2.27

Total Ran: 24.59 miles
    June Goal: 60 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K (thinking about switching to 10K)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Bleh run this morning. I was noticing some knee twinges when I ran on Tuesday and thought "that's no good, I should see if I need new shoes" and then forgot about it because work has been crazy this week. I skipped running yesterday because I really needed the extra hour of sleep, then went out to make it up this morning. Absolutely beautiful weather (70 degrees, dew point 52 degrees) but even before I started I was feeling some discomfort in my right foot. About a mile in, the knee joined in, and when my right hip decided to get in on the fun, I cut the run short. I tried running a couple of times on nice flat bits, but decided I really didn't want to push it. These shoes only have a hair under 115 miles on them and the internet seems to think that I should be good for 300-500 miles, but I have been known to be tough on my shoes even when I'm not running in them. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

c4k4zb35k6gc.jpg

Judging by the wear pattern, your landing differently with your right foot vs your left. That is probably part of your problem. The one shoe is showing heavy landing on the very outside of your foot. That is probably putting stress on your knees - BUT I AM NOT A DOCTOR. :)

Did you go to a good running store and have them check your stride before buying the shoes? Different strides require different kinds of shoes.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    @MegaMooseEsq With knee and hip pain I'd look to hip issues. Weak glutes in particular. Might check in with a PT when possible. Of course the shoes could be aggravating an underlying issue. Or are you running cambored surfaces?

ETA. Also check your IT band. Weak glutes can cause overuse of the ITB. Its easily rehabed. Good call cutting the run short.

@dreamer12151 lovely story there! Thanks fpr sharing that!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    I am frustrated.

It's been so very difficult getting back into running with all the extra weight I've put on due to my medication. I feel like a lumbering buffalo when I run, and I run so, so slowly that it takes nearly a half hour just to do two miles. It almost doesn't feel worth it.

I have to remind myself that when I started running the first time, it was a lot like this. And I'm more or less staring over. I'm NOT going to be able to run 10 miles like I did before. I have to settle for 2-3 miles for a while and slowly work up from there. But it's really tough. I've broken down crying on several occasions just because I was so frustrated that I can't do what I used to be able to do.

Today I got up early and headed to the treadmill like usual. I was only able to run 1.5 miles before I had to take a walk break. I thought about giving up. I stopped my Garmin thinking that was the end of it. But something in me wanted to keep going. So I walked for about a half mile then started running again, and was able to eke out another mile. It felt a little easier the second time around.

I don't know. 2.5 miles seems like nothing to me, like hardly any kind of a decent workout. But that's my old running brain thinking. I have to reset my expectations. And that kind of sucks.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

@RespectTheKitty I so feel this! I have gained 18 pounds since Christmas! And I was still 50 over goal then! But hopefully you will see that no matter how far you go today, we are here to support you!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    dhfvppsqxel7.jpg

Just thought I'd join in the building/stairs thing.

This is my workplace. My office space is behind the far right hand side of the barn, behind the blockwork extension. There is a single wooden staircase inside, which leads behind that door on the left, up along a mezzanine to the single unisex toilet. The double doors are normally left open during the day.

:p

That is an amazing building! What do you do @girlinahat ??
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    6/1 – 0
    6/2 – 2
    6/3 – 2
    6/4 – 2
    6/5 – 2
    6/6 rest day
    6/7 – 3
    6/8 – 2
    6/9 – 2
    6/10 –rest
    6/11 – 3
    6/12 - 3
    6/13 – rest day
    6/14 – 4 (long run)

25 of 50 miles

Longest run since breaking the ribs, yeah me ha ha!!!

@mobycarp and those serious runners are so right on the Achilles. Skip was out an ENTIRE cross country season because we didn’t pay attention to a pain in the Achilles, just kept icing it and running. I have a neighborhood “friend” who runs and he tore his completely last year, it’s been a long 6+ month recover to just be able to start running again.

@jennacole12 killing that monthly goal!!!

@KeepRunningFatboy I like that!

Ha ha @marisap2010 though I feel like I work in jail (government building) you do have me beat! What do you do for a living?

@ContraryMaryMary you are going to get that 150! Great running

@ladysnickerdoo glad the tooth removal went better than expected
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2018
    On slow pace - I'm not fast either. I've heard that every 10 lbs. adds 0:30 - 1:00 per mile. I put on 32 lbs. when I took a "diet break" from 12/27/17 - 1/15/18. Of that 32 lbs., 19 was fat. As of today, I still have 16.5 lbs. of excess fat to lose and it isn't coming off anytime soon. I just hope to keep upping my mileage because I'm not likely to eat less anytime soon.

ETA: The 0:30 - 1:00 per mile comes out about right for my ~15-20 extra lbs. when considering other factors like weather and BG problems I've had. My 16.5 lbs. is based on excess fat to reach a goal fat %, but I'm still 20 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight. Some of that is lean tissue that I don't mind keeping.