June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq way to complete your first race! It still counts. Keep it up.
    @PastorVincent thanks for the chart. That will be helpful moving forward this summer.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    For all the new runners in the thread, as we head into summer do not forget to watch the DEW POINT before planning your runs. Dew point is a better predictor than relative humidity on how bad the weather is going to impact your run. Here is a handy chart:

aau6xce95cwq.png
    SRC: http://througharunninglens.blogspot.com/2012/07/dew-point-and-runners-what-is-it-and.html

Thank you for this! This will be my first spring/summer running regularly and I've been struggling to figure out how to gage the weather ahead of time. It didn't occur to me to watch the dew point instead of relative humidity.

Congrats on your first race! Yay!!!

Dew point is key, but for summer running also pay attention to:

UV index - you will be out in the direct sun for a while - and UV does not care about clouds you can be burned very badly on an overcast day. Most sunscreens will fail in sweaty conditions so pay attention to that too. Get good eye protection from UV too if you can (some people can not run with sunglasses on). You only get one set of eyes, so take care of them.

Also remember that shirts have UV protection ratings too. Do not assume that you can not get burned while wearing a shirt. It can happen. Things that look opaque to our eyes are transparent to UV.

Running at different times during the day usually avoids the UV risk nicely. Check a site like Dark Sky that gives hourly UV ratings.

Clouds - Direct sun makes temps FEEL warmer than they are, clouds help reduce the FEEL of temps.

Temperature - This one is obvious :) Ideal running temperature is in the 55F ballpark for most people. The farther you get from that number, the harder your run.

Rain - A light rain is great, hail and lightning not so much. :) If you run trails remember that rain == mud. So be prepared for that.

Over time you will learn what conditions are bad/good for you specifically.

If you can afford it, buy the better "heat gear" style clothing. It helps A LOT but it is very very expensive in many places.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent thanks for the chart. That will be helpful moving forward this summer.

Everyone is different of course, but I have found it works very well. There is another version of the chart were you add dew point and tempature to generate compsite number that tries to get at the impact of tempature and dew point in one feel swoop. I do not find that as helpful because I can look at the temp and see its like 95F or something and not care about the dew point cause I know that run will really be hard for me. :)

Experiment and see what works best for you. :) Some people love running in 90+F degrees with high humdity. I think they are nuts, but what do I know? :D
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

June...I'll change my tune...
    6/1 rest
    6/2 1.87
    6/3 rest
    6/4 2.00
    6/5 rest (damned toe...)
    6/6 2.28
    6/7 rest (")
    6/8 2.25
    6/9 rest (" but better....)
    6/10 2.75

Total 11.15

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    RUhgm8.png

1HK2m8.png
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    For all the new runners in the thread, as we head into summer do not forget to watch the DEW POINT before planning your runs. Dew point is a better predictor than relative humidity on how bad the weather is going to impact your run. Here is a handy chart:

aau6xce95cwq.png
    SRC: http://througharunninglens.blogspot.com/2012/07/dew-point-and-runners-what-is-it-and.html

Thank you. I'll be traveling to London in July and that will be useful. I live in the desert on a mountain, so dew point is generally a non issue here. Now the 105° temp today, yeah, that isn't much fun.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @jele30 great job on the 10k! Massive pace reduction from last year. Hope your husband's back gets better soon.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @jele30 Wow! That is a huge improvement! Well done!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    fast 10k this am. I was suppose to do intervals but I just decided to run fast for the last 5.1miles after a warm up of 1 mile. Overall it was 48 minutes but the first mile was 9:45.

exercise.png