June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @seanevan10 I fix old stuff. By that I mean I'm an architectural conservator, working with old buildings, sculptures, decorative plaster and terracotta.

Right now I'm running projects taking down a church bell tower; restoring a fountain commemorating some Czech paratroopers, and advising the Roman Baths how to take care of their....Roman stuff.

It's a pretty varied job - our workshop is an old farm barn I think it was a dairy, so the door high up may have been access to the upper floor whilst the cows were kept inside. The farmhouse attached also has a room high up separate from the rest of the house which was apparently a cheese store.

I think you may get the award for Coolest Job Ever.

I agree!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    What do you guys do to help bounce back from a bad workout/run?

Righteous group question. :relaxed:

XT, watch nutrition, rest and BCAA's. Hit it again, because a bad work out often means, for me, improvement is around the corner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni if i can, go back out the next day.
    otherwise, i just reevaluate expectations for the race. bad runs happen to good people
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni yep, bad runs happen. That is a given. You just have to accept it, but also do a quick evaluation on what lead up to that run (less than normal sleep, hard workout previous day, not eating/drinking enough prior, injury, etc.). If nothing obvious comes to mind, just try to forget it. Your next run will probably be significantly better.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @MobyCarp I still think you are fast. According to Garmin, my 1 mile PR is 3:39.58. And it was from a training run in Aug. 2017 - which seems to be around my peak time in speed. But I can't keep up speed for as long.

Believe it or not, I've received some various data from my DNA. Some of it indicates I should build more fast twitch muscle fibers, so I should be fast and not so good with distance. Unfortunately, I want to do distance anyway. Stupid DNA...

@midwesterner85 do you want to check that time. It’s faster than the current world record time. B) then again maybe holy *kitten* is what I should comment lol

Who knows... maybe there was a GPS error / jump. I suppose I could go back and look at the map that day.

ETA: Yep, looked at the map and the GPS definitely was screwing up that day. Normally it is really good. :( So I guess I have no idea what my best time is for a mile.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Training

Goals 6/11/18 - 6/17/18:
    Run: 45 miles + Swim and Bike
    TSS > 650

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL

Base 1 : Week 2 of 4
    06.11.18 - 3 m. (Swim 900 yrds).
    06.12.18 - 8.9 m.
    06.13.18 - 7.2 m. (swim 1000 yards)
    06.14.18 - 8.6 m.

This Weekend:
    Sat - 1/2 Marathon in Toledo OH
    Sun - Olympic Triathlon near Maumee OH

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I still think you are fast. According to Garmin, my 1 mile PR is 3:39.58. And it was from a training run in Aug. 2017 - which seems to be around my peak time in speed. But I can't keep up speed for as long.

Believe it or not, I've received some various data from my DNA. Some of it indicates I should build more fast twitch muscle fibers, so I should be fast and not so good with distance. Unfortunately, I want to do distance anyway. Stupid DNA...

@midwesterner85 do you want to check that time. It’s faster than the current world record time. B) then again maybe holy *kitten* is what I should comment lol

Who knows... maybe there was a GPS error / jump. I suppose I could go back and look at the map that day.

ETA: Yep, looked at the map and the GPS definitely was screwing up that day. Normally it is really good. :( So I guess I have no idea what my best time is for a mile.

I’m sorry @midwesterner85
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia

Thats just depressing. We're 20% smarter. Right?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia

Thats just depressing. We're 20% smarter. Right?

40% :smiley:

Women seem to have better resilience (Sisu, perhaps) and are better represented in endurance events.

I don't think it's depressing though. It just explains a lot.

It might be depressing for men to think that they're not actually that fast compared to the general population, they're just born with an advantage over half of them.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Soooo totally not running related... well maybe it is, because if I don’t come up with an alternate plan, my father has suggested trying to kill me by running a 5k in New Orleans in mid August (red dress race)

but I have a forced 10 day vacation coming in August due to current travel for work location + sturgis = no hotel.... and I actually have finally gotten to a point where I can afford an adventure.

The problem is, it has been too long since I have had an adventure, I have too many ideas, and too many options with any one location. And being overwhelmed has me thinking “fine I will just stay home and do nothing!”

So, since many of you 1. Live in what this Wyoming girl considers an exotic location, and 2. Many of you seem to go on running and non running related adventures

What is an adventure you have been on lately? did you love it? Would you do it again/recommend it? What did it cost?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @hanlonsk My last big adventure vacation was a year ago when I did the Glacier Half Marathon and then backpacked in Glacier National Park. But for a Wyoming-ite, that may not be as exotic or exciting.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    8.03 miles tonight

exercise.png
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - Let me know if you decide to do the Red Dress Run in NO.

My last adventure was a family reunion at an RV Park last weekend. Close to home so we did a swamp tour while we were there. Probably not on you adventure list.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats
    06/07/18 -
    06/08/18 - 0 :(
    06/09/18 - 12 miles @ 9:29
    06/10/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:22
    06/11/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/12/18 - 0
    06/13/18 - 10 miles @ 9:26
    06/14/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Wanted to run more, but again did not have the time so did what I could in the time I had.
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So with the rain I didn't get to run outside but I made up for it with an hour on the elliptical. I ran 5.2 miles. I also had a strength training session at the gym so that helped.
    @PastorVincent thanks for the motivation. Running is not my thing...yet but I'm getting there. Definitely doing better then the guy on the couch.
    Total miles 23.59/40

exercise.png