Can we talk about what are you struggle with the most?

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    That's an easy one for me. I find sticking to healthy eating a lot easier than going to the gym. The gym intimidation is real. After years of putting it off, about two weeks ago I finally joined and it's just as bad as I thought it would be. This will be an ongoing struggle for me but it's just something I had to bite the bullet and do.

Have you tried going to a ymca?
  • 1houndgal
    edited June 2018
    Living in a camper right now so can't cook healthy meals.. And motivation to keep walking everyday.. Anyone got good ideas for meals in the microwave?

Ideas: steamable potatos in a bag, uncle Ben's ready rice, campbells healthy request chunky soups ( split pea, chunky country vegetable beef soup, other varieties). Healthy Choice meals.
  • 1houndgal
    kami3006 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Depression, since I'm limited to naming one thing. Have tried getting medication, but my GP refuses to give me any. I'm sitting on a long-donkey waiting list for therapy that I don't want, but if I refuse it, I get denied all help.

I have seen you mention this in other threads. I just wanted to say that I, too, hope you're able to get the help you need soon. I have had clinical depression since childhood and it is indeed debilitating and consuming. Mine is entirely chemical based and is treated with medication which I supplement through exercise. Nonetheless, at age 43, it still struggle with it regularly; having plenty of days where I feel I am trying to move against the current. But, I also have wonderful days now and don't find the small things as difficult.

You're not alone. And I know you've probably been informed of all the things you should try (most of which seem like so much effort) but getting just the smallest bit of movement and sunshine can work wonders. I hope you have someone to talk to (again, very daunting I know) but if not and you need to rant/release, feel free to blow up my personal message box. :)

Excercise boosts endorphins , so try to get moving with aerobic excercise such as jogging, swimming, hiking, cycling, cardio equipment etc. Look into joining you local YMCA. If money is an issue you can apply for a scholarship.
  • 1houndgal
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I struggle with making friends. I just don’t know how to talk to people. My 10 year old son has now told me after a week that he doesn’t like summer camp because he doesn’t have friends there and it makes me so sad because I know how that feels and I don’t want him to deal with that. I keep saying I’m going to make an effort to go out and try to meet people and I never do. I suck.

Watch what you tell yourself. Beating yourself up saying that you suck does nothing for your self esteem. Plus you teach your boy to get down on himself like you do.

Some family counseling could be helpful. Have you tried the YMCA summer camp for your kid? Or a local boys and girls club? Or a local sports team perhaps , such as soccer?

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2018
    Alone, bored and kinda want to eat food.

If there's not anything I specifically want to do that moment, and I'm home alone, I really struggle to not wander to the cupboard and grab something. My partner helps keep me accountable, but he's a shift worker (and I'm 8-4), so there's loads of times when I'm home alone.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Depression, since I'm limited to naming one thing. Have tried getting medication, but my GP refuses to give me any. I'm sitting on a long-donkey waiting list for therapy that I don't want, but if I refuse it, I get denied all help.

I have seen you mention this in other threads. I just wanted to say that I, too, hope you're able to get the help you need soon. I have had clinical depression since childhood and it is indeed debilitating and consuming. Mine is entirely chemical based and is treated with medication which I supplement through exercise. Nonetheless, at age 43, it still struggle with it regularly; having plenty of days where I feel I am trying to move against the current. But, I also have wonderful days now and don't find the small things as difficult.

You're not alone. And I know you've probably been informed of all the things you should try (most of which seem like so much effort) but getting just the smallest bit of movement and sunshine can work wonders. I hope you have someone to talk to (again, very daunting I know) but if not and you need to rant/release, feel free to blow up my personal message box. :)

Excercise boosts endorphins , so try to get moving with aerobic excercise such as jogging, swimming, hiking, cycling, cardio equipment etc. Look into joining you local YMCA. If money is an issue you can apply for a scholarship.

Thanks. I do already exercise a lot. Regular running and weight lifting. I have a home gym and have run a few bulk/cut cycles. Indeed it helps. Once I started lifting I was able to cut my meds in half.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

Exercise can only do so much for depression. It really helps with mild depression, but does diddle squat for clinical/major depressive disorder. If it did help, I would be the happiest person in the province.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2018

I hear you loud and clear. I have depression and PTSD. It really sux and the struggle is constant. Don't be so reluctant to seek counselling. My psychologist has helped me immensely. I would hate to think of where I'd be without it.
    Walking has also helped me, as long as it is outside and in nature. It is my calm within the storm. I'll even be out at 5:30 am if the weather is right. Seeing the sunrise on another day helps. Sending you lots of hugs and hope you find some real help soon.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Grocery shopping! I keep buying too much food, I’m looking at new products and finding lots of lower calorie options that appeal but I’ve been buying too many different things and now my pantry and fridge are overflowing with different foods! On the plus side I have lots of choice... and a family of five so it will get eaten just not by me ;)

I’ve also been struggling with balance and sustainability for the lifestyle changes Im making. I tend to go all in to anything I do then feel burned out so I’m trying to monitor myself
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    saires_au wrote: »
    Grocery shopping! I keep buying too much food, I’m looking at new products and finding lots of lower calorie options that appeal but I’ve been buying too many different things and now my pantry and fridge are overflowing with different foods! On the plus side I have lots of choice... and a family of five so it will get eaten just not by me ;)

I’ve also been struggling with balance and sustainability for the lifestyle changes Im making. I tend to go all in to anything I do then feel burned out so I’m trying to monitor myself

haha I've learned don't go grocery shopping on a empty stomach, I'd ended buy more than I need. Especially junk foods which I ended up not even eat them. Good thing I got kids so they helps with it. lol
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    That's an easy one for me. I find sticking to healthy eating a lot easier than going to the gym. The gym intimidation is real. After years of putting it off, about two weeks ago I finally joined and it's just as bad as I thought it would be. This will be an ongoing struggle for me but it's just something I had to bite the bullet and do.

Have you tried going to a ymca?

That's exactly where I go actually!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    My biggest struggle is just not eating too much. I can maintain pretty easy (even after a weight loss) - just some mindfulness and avoiding being a piggy wiggy, and I can maintain where I'm at.

Trying to lose from where I'm at, however - that's a different story. Requires tight logging, weighing of food, and dealing with the hungries for hours every single day. And that, for a pretty minimal loss :(

I realize a lot of this is because I have a very sedentary job, and outside of the gym, don't see a whole lot of activity. It still sucks though!
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Water. I can drink 32 oz at my CrossFit box. I struggle to drink the other 32oz all day long.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    I struggle with eating with in my calories EVERY.DAMN. WEEKEND.

The alcohol and good food get me EVERY.TIME.
    Stop drinking. I lost 7 lbs in one week when I cut out the booze.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    I struggle living with the fear of old habits. I've lost almost 45 pounds (woohoo!) by eating reasonably with a calorie deficit. At the same time, I've slowly been rebuilding my fitness which involves running and cycling. Now I'm at a point where I have to eat quite a bit to maintain a slow weight loss.

So what's the problem, right? Wa wa wa...

I struggle with not going for the easy calories - you know, go ahead and have the extra beer, eat a serving of chips, have the cookie. These (not the beer :)) are some of the trigger type foods that led to my obesity. This is not a terrible problem to have and I don't want to sound like one of those, "I can't eat my calories" folks - but the struggle IS real. Knowing how to get an extra 400-500 sensible calories is something I'm working on.

I personally haven't been there yet, but I can understand it. My Dad had gained weight in his 50's and 60's. It bothered him a lot. When he was diagnosed with cancer he lost weight and was proud of his weight loss. He was hospitalized for his last 3 weeks. He told me when I was trying to get him to eat one night in the hospital that he was scared of gaining the weight back. It's a truly mental thing I think.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    I am struggling with eating the healthy foods and not wanting to eat all the calorie dense foods. I don't believe there are "bad" foods, I just like the ones that have more calories. I'm quite lazy and tired at the end of they day and would rather grab something than go home and make a meal. This is bad for my waist and my wallet.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    deviette wrote: »
    Alone, bored and kinda want to eat food.

If there's not anything I specifically want to do that moment, and I'm home alone, I really struggle to not wander to the cupboard and grab something. My partner helps keep me accountable, but he's a shift worker (and I'm 8-4), so there's loads of times when I'm home alone.

I totally get this, and go through it with food as well as years ago when I gave up smoking.

I love to read, but can easily hold a book with one hand and chow, so that solves nothing. The only thing that helps is keeping my hands busy - handcrafts, deadheading flowers in the garden, washing dishes, writing on keyboard or paper, computer/video games, or grabbing a cup of tea and sipping it while I stroll around the block ...
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited June 2018
    I can relate to so much of this! I might have several biggest struggles ...

Struggle to even WANT to use the extra calories I get in maintenance and from exercise for anything except the calorie dense over-eating trigger treats that will get me yoyoing again if I suddenly can't exercise...

Struggle to do even the most basic mindfulness/meditation practices that I know will help with my anxiety / depression / mental obsessing... and let me clarify, I am VERY lucky to only have a shadow of these things, not the real full on stuff.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    mkculs wrote: »
    I am a slug. I don't cook and hate to clean (but I like a clean house, so it doesn't get too bad). I get regular exercise and will be adding more walking to my daily routines with the park-far-away strategy and a few others, but at home, I have hours where I do nothing but read. I want to lose weight and change my lifestyle to include fixing healthy meals, but I Just. Hate. Cooking. Don't have a strategy yet to change that, but will be exploring what has worked for others.

Cooking I don't mind so much, as I generally cook plenty for the freezer. Cleaning is another story. I eat off paper plates and use plastic utensils, and use paper towels, which eliminates a lot of it. I live full-time in a motorhome, and keeping food solids and grease out of the gray water tank are a must, otherwise (if I lived in a home) I'd just have a dishwasher. I have nothing but time, but could understand those with a hectic schedule having issues with it all.

Living in a camper right now so can't cook healthy meals.. And motivation to keep walking everyday.. Anyone got good ideas for meals in the microwave?

I've been a full-timer (RV'r) for 10 years, but I have an apartment-sized range/oven. I use the grille a lot, I have a small and larger Webber. I also have an electric convection oven, as well as a microwave. I steam veggies, scramble eggs, and cook oatmeal in the microwave. I generally cook outside in the summer, and inside in the winter, depending on when I could use some extra heat inside, and when I don't.