Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you could choose how you die

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Simply, electronically, with ease.

(Kinda like a Microsoft software upgrade.)
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    With a smile on my face. Make of that what you will :)
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited June 2018
    deviette wrote: »
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm likely to die of, but I do know I definitely do not want to go in my sleep. That thought has always terrified me. I actually want my death to be something painful. I want to be well aware of it at the moment. I always assumed I'd go in a car wreck, but hopefully not for a very long time.
    You know I never expected that sort of response. So often it's seen as somewhat comforting that a death was painless and while sleeping. It's a fascinating insight :smiley:

I think watching my mom die that way, on a lot of pain medicine, unaware of anything around her made me not want to go that way. I don't ever want to be without my sensibilities. If dying is the last thing I do here, I want to experience it. I want to feel it and be completely aware of what's going on. I want it to be pretty quick though. I don't want the chance to say my goodbyes to people.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Shot by a jealous husband.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Tortured to the death by the Spanish Inquisition, but I don't expect that will happen.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    At 99 years old, being shot by a jealous 22 year old husband.

Yeah, but for a kiss, date, bang or marry?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    At the age of 150, shot by a jealous husband... :smiley:
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    For a long time I thought cancer was the worst thing that could happen to a person, but I watched my mom's mother slowly fade away from Alzheimer's and now I live in mortal terror of that happening to me. That's one of the reasons I've started working out and monitoring what I eat again. My husband and I have a joking agreement that if it happens, he'll smother me with one of our cats. He won't need to, though - I have a plan.

Having said that, if I had to choose a way to die I'd go with freezing to death. Second would be something instantaneous like a ruptured aneurysm.

In real life if I get killed it will probably be because of my work. My job has the potential to be dangerous but I believe that saying, "Fear not death, for the hour of your doom is set and none may escape it." In other words, when it's your time it's your time. Sure, I could stay home where it's "safe," but who's to say I wouldn't trip over the dog, fall down the stairs, and break my neck? I've known too many people who got killed in "perfectly safe" situations and people who came out of incredibly dangerous situations unscathed. So, when it's time...it's time.

And really, I'd rather have my obituary read "she was killed in a C-17 crash in Mali" rather than "she died at work late Friday afternoon and we didn't find her until Tuesday because Monday was a holiday."
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I walk outside a lot so I figure I'll get hit by a car.

Ironically, it'll probably happen in my apartment or office building's parking lots.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I'm not going to. ;) My heart will go on forever. <3
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    I'm not going to. ;) My heart will go on forever. <3

...... just always remember, there's no "I" in Denial.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I walk outside a lot so I figure I'll get hit by a car.

I was once in a car accident while on a business trip. A co-worker was driving a rental car and got sideways on a freeway.

My initial thought was: "Oh *kitten* !! I'm going to die in a Chevrolet."

Thankfully we all walked away unharmed.

If I'm going to be hit and killed by a car, I just hope it's something nice, like a Jaguar; yeah... a Jaguar would do.
  • starfighter65
    starfighter65 Posts: 413 Member
    Die in my sleep , would be my wish.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I want to be one of those people who goes into a convenience store at night for something and is caught in a robbery, cut down in a hail of gun-fire as I leap in front of another unsuspecting customer, saving their live(s). News-story: Tonight we mourn the loss of a local woman as she gives her own life to save blah, blah, blah. Film at eleven :wink:
  • Beaster_Bunny
    Beaster_Bunny Posts: 501 Member
    edited June 2018
    I want to gorge on beans, then light a fart big enough to launch me into space so my corpse can sail across the Milky Way to one day be discovered by aliens and brought back to life on their planet.
  • AveriaKyle
    AveriaKyle Posts: 20 Member
    Die in the midst of an adrenalin rush.
    Be it a rollercoaster ride, bungee jumping, speeding on a motorcycle etc
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I would like to change my answer to "having my nuts bit off by a Laplander"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08mNz9f0FQ