Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    We should punish people who actually commit crimes rather than try to decide what factors contribute to crime and then arrest anyone who falls within that demographic regardless of whether or not they have commited a crime. I think phrased like that everyone would agree right? Although the idea that you could stop crime before it happens is appealing the cost of punishing people before they actually transgress is far too high.

So why is it then okay to try to figure out what factors potentially contribute to obesity and then tax those factors thereby punishing anyone who falls within that demographic regardless of whether or not they are obese? Applying financial pressures to people for what foods they buy in order to intact some sort of misguided social engineering is unethical in my opinion.

If you want to punish people to discourage obesity then punish the obese and don't try to pretend it is something other than that. Higher insurance rates for the morbidly obese seems like a reasonable way to do that if you want to do that.

I don't know about punishment. My thoughts were more along the lines of paying for the additional risk presented.

You know, like if you get a life insurance policy and are asked if you smoke, ride a motorcycle or skydive. You are charged more as you present a greater risk.

By the same token, if you maintain a a body fat percentage above some scientifically supported percentage, you present more risk. More risk of injury to joints and muscles. More risk of certain diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, etc.

I see it more as charging based on the risk presented, not some sort of punishment.

If you present less risk, shouldn't you enjoy the cost savings?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    We should punish people who actually commit crimes rather than try to decide what factors contribute to crime and then arrest anyone who falls within that demographic regardless of whether or not they have commited a crime. I think phrased like that everyone would agree right? Although the idea that you could stop crime before it happens is appealing the cost of punishing people before they actually transgress is far too high.

So why is it then okay to try to figure out what factors potentially contribute to obesity and then tax those factors thereby punishing anyone who falls within that demographic regardless of whether or not they are obese? Applying financial pressures to people for what foods they buy in order to intact some sort of misguided social engineering is unethical in my opinion.

If you want to punish people to discourage obesity then punish the obese and don't try to pretend it is something other than that. Higher insurance rates for the morbidly obese seems like a reasonable way to do that if you want to do that.

I don't know about punishment. My thoughts were more along the lines of paying for the additional risk presented.

You know, like if you get a life insurance policy and are asked if you smoke, ride a motorcycle or skydive. You are charged more as you present a greater risk.

By the same token, if you maintain a a body fat percentage above some scientifically supported percentage, you present more risk. More risk of injury to joints and muscles. More risk of certain diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, etc.

I see it more as charging based on the risk presented, not some sort of punishment.

If you present less risk, shouldn't you enjoy the cost savings?

I agree. The issue I was taking was not with the idea of insurance but with the idea of taxing certain types of food because some people feel strongly that they "cause" obesity by being available. ie lets tax bread because bread causes people to be fat.
  • Knokr
    Knokr Posts: 13 Member
    Well first of all I think everyone pays too much for health care. That being said, i think that people who are at a higher risk for health complications should pay more for insurance. But insurers only use BMI to measure weight and that’s not the best indicator of health for many reasons.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Did anyone ever hear the word discrimination? Regardless of your weight or BMI level you are not being equally fair to others instead of berating everyone who does not fit your image why not encourage instead of discourage, its like smoking when you are ready to stop you will, people find a way to pay,the same principal applies here think about it
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Did anyone ever hear the word discrimination? Regardless of your weight or BMI level you are not being equally fair to others instead of berating everyone who does not fit your image why not encourage instead of discourage, its like smoking when you are ready to stop you will, people find a way to pay,the same principal applies here think about it

Paying more for insurance when you have a statistically greater likelihood of using the insurance is not discrimination. Is it discrimination when car insurance costs more for a 16 year old male with no accidents/tickets vs a 35 year old male with no accidents/tickets driving the same vehicle and living in the same neighborhood? Of course not, it's the insurance rates reflecting the actuarial likelihood of making a payout.

Then is it discrimination to assume a black man is guilty of a certain crime, as it statistically correct to state there are more black men incarcerated for crimes at present?
    Statistics are used both for and against any argument you choose, but the reality of both mine and your example is they are both fact. But are they accurate to every individuals situation, of course not.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Many different employer Health plans in the United States have the so called Wellness award plans attached to them. Where if you go to the onsite gym, or on their or the medical carrier website and do various challenges in a year. That you get points, that actually equal a discount for the next years premium taken out of your paycheck. Even now as a retiree, I can participate in a former employer to a degree.
    As someone who is a diabetic and working on getting my weight better controlled, I understand where many say heck yes, the fatso's of the world should pay more. But you cannot assume that if someone is 25, non smoker, and trim and fit. That there is not some type of horrid health issue that runs in that persons family that may happen to them. Which in the long run will cost lots more to the insurance company and others than the fat/obese person.

I know for a fact that Life Insurance companies do charge way more for smokers, and fat/obese people if anything shows up in any of the blood/lipid/bloodpressure tests being out of line. And they can come back every so many years, to try and get a better rate. If they pay for the new exams that the Insurance companies will run, including all the new lab tests. And it is not an every year type of thing. I think they can request every 3 years, because the results need to show that you have achieved the non smoking/new healthy status and held it for two solid years. Based on what your Dr's. sworn statements will be. If that was put or attempted to be put in place for Health Insurance what a nightmare. In large groups like employee plans, it is taken into consideration the way rates are set up and spread out.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    But you cannot assume that if someone is 25, non smoker, and trim and fit. That there is not some type of horrid health issue that runs in that persons family that may happen to them. Which in the long run will cost lots more to the insurance company and others than the fat/obese person.

But the odds are the 25 year old you describe is less likely to present with a more costly medical event and therefore the risk is lower than the 50 something overweight smoker whose exercise consists of running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions.

Therefore it’s not discrimination to charge him more for coverage due to the higher risk presented.

It’s about risks and they are higher for the 50 something than the 25 year old.

And I’m a 50 something, but I don’t smoke. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Paying more for insurance when you have a statistically greater likelihood of using the insurance is not discrimination. Is it discrimination when car insurance costs more for a 16 year old male with no accidents/tickets vs a 35 year old male with no accidents/tickets driving the same vehicle and living in the same neighborhood? Of course not, it's the insurance rates reflecting the actuarial likelihood of making a payout.

Then is it discrimination to assume a black man is guilty of a certain crime, as it statistically correct to state there are more black men incarcerated for crimes at present?
    Statistics are used both for and against any argument you choose, but the reality of both mine and your example is they are both fact. But are they accurate to every individuals situation, of course not.

There's a big difference between using statistics to determine the groups that are likely to use a greater proportion of health care services and charging more for insurance on that basis and sending an individual to jail for a crime without due process.

We already use demographic information and past claims to determine rates for car insurance and homeowners insurance. Why is it only unacceptable for health insurance? Or do you advocate that everyone should pay the same rates for auto and homeowner policies too?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

There's a big difference between using statistics to determine the groups that are likely to use a greater proportion of health care services and charging more for insurance on that basis and sending an individual to jail for a crime without due process.

We already use demographic information and past claims to determine rates for car insurance and homeowners insurance. Why is it only unacceptable for health insurance? Or do you advocate that everyone should pay the same rates for auto and homeowner policies too?

Thank you. I was going to reply with something similar to @Leslierussell4134 .

If she does think everyone should be paying the same rates for auto insurance, I'd be happy for her to help reduce the cost of my 16 year old son's auto insurance by her paying more.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I'm pretty okay with people at the tails of the risk distribution curve paying more or less than the average (depending on which side they are on).
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Really ......
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I'm pretty okay with people at the tails of the risk distribution curve paying more or less than the average (depending on which side they are on).

But paying how much more or less? If you have a history of cancer/MS/diabetes/other serious illness is it okay for your insurance to cost so much that no one could afford it? That might be fair based on expectations of your future health costs, but it can essentially a death sentence. As a society are we okay with that?

It all comes down to whether access to health care is a right or a privilege. If it is a right (and we are going to stick with the current model of using health insurance) then health insurance has to be affordable for everyone. Obesity is much more controllable than whether or not you get cancer or other serious illnesses, but it is a similar idea.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

But paying how much more or less? If you have a history of cancer/MS/diabetes/other serious illness is it okay for your insurance to cost so much that no one could afford it? That might be fair based on expectations of your future health costs, but it can essentially a death sentence. As a society are we okay with that?

It all comes down to whether access to health care is a right or a privilege. If it is a right (and we are going to stick with the current model of using health insurance) then health insurance has to be affordable for everyone. Obesity is much more controllable than whether or not you get cancer or other serious illnesses, but it is a similar idea.

this. In the US in the past, getting diagnosed with a serious illness like cancer while between jobs or underemployed (pretty much no one could afford it back then on their own without it being negotiated down as group coverage like insurance through a job) could essentially be a death sentence. (Some states, like NY, did bridge the gap above medicaid with an insurance exchange - fully subsidized to a point where someone was making a few hundred dollars/mo above qualifying for medicaid; and either partially or non-subsidized (but at least large group coverage pricing rather than individual) for those making more up to $2000ish/mo). Note: there were more technical rules about when and for how long one had to have income qualifying for it, so it would still leave that risky gap there for someone who was laid off from a job (including current graduate students who lost research funding but still had to continue on their research for their degree). COBRA exists for that, but if you were working for a smaller company that largely covered the premium, you quite likely won't have the cash to pay for it (and rent and utilities) for very long (Food, etc could at least be purchased on one of those introductory 0% rate credit cards - but not insurance premiums, rent, or utilities.. In my case, I was extremely lucky - I managed to get a teaching assistant position before having no funding and so my last health insurance was from the state as an employer (state university) rather than the research foundation - my COBRA was only ~$200/mo.. I used it until it ran out (while working part-time as a technician elsewhere) before getting insurance via the Healthy NY exchange).
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member

Paying enough to offset the additional insurance risk. Excess of that wouldn't be justified, and less than that is essentially just offloading some of your increased risk to those closer to the center of the risk distribution.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited June 2018

Paying enough to offset the additional insurance risk. Excess of that wouldn't be justified, and less than that is essentially just offloading some of your increased risk to those closer to the center of the risk distribution.

That’s the point. For some people the amount to offset the additional insurance risk is literally tens of thousands of dollars (or more). Only the rich could afford the “fair” insurance premiums for someone with a bad pre-existing condition. We either let those people die or we offload some of the costs. That’s the decision society has.