Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sinsanati wrote: »
    Gosh I went a full 4 days. Day 5 i lost it. :(

Four days is good. Don't dwell on #5. You should be patting yourself on the back for four, because it proves you can do it. You'll do it again!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Sinsanati wrote: »
    Gosh I went a full 4 days. Day 5 i lost it. :(

In the last 7 day span you have been AF more than you haven't. That is a significant accomplishment and stepping stone. I am not just saying that to make you feel better. Stringing together the first set of AF days with an eye on creating more is how I started. There are probably some people who can get it done with no setbacks but I am not one of them.

What is really important right now is starting your next run and building on your success.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @Sinsanati Four days is awesome! Better than you probably have done in awhile. Consider it a success. Like Erik says, challenge yourself to tie it or add one day to make five days AF. You can do it.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    edmudman wrote: »
    Day 12 AF, have survived the usual triggers of airports, travel, sunshine, BBQs. Have got my parents staying for a week and it is great being able to take them out, without having to watch my limit or be grumpy because I can’t drink as much if I am driving. Have been out buying wine and beer for them, with no urge at all to drink any. Happy with my sparkling water and a slice of lime. Taking them to a great Tapas bar tonight in the old town, which has an awesome wine menu. I’m looking forwards to it , as the food is amazing and I know my head is going to be clear tomorrow ;)

Awesome ! You withstood the triggers. On to Day 13!
  • RubyRed427
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just reading Annie Grace's blog about sugar/alcohol. She says,"When you take a break from alcohol, the loss of a dopamine response causes the brain to seek out the high levels of dopamine in other forms and sugar is one of the most readily available. "

Many of us have commented that we were craving sugar when we cut back on alcohol. Interesting read. Good night to all.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @NovusDies Wishing you a peaceful day. I can see you're doing very well this June with your goals. Xo

I haven't done too bad actually. I have discovered that (for me) identifying the negatives of drinking doesn't seem to give me enough ammunition when I really want to drink outside my moderation goals. In time it might. I don't know. The thing is I already wanted to cut back and drink only when it fits my goals so I don't need to be convinced with more reasons why. Identifying the positives of AF days, for me, was still just the flipside of the negatives of drinking. I am grateful for those positives and I do consider them a gift to myself but I still slipped more than I wanted to.

For a little over a month I have flipped the script and for now it is working extremely well. Instead of identifying the negatives I have focused on identifying the positives of drinking. I know why I don't want to drink so why should I have to prove why I want to be AF on any given day? If there is a part of me that wants to drink it should prove why it should happen. What am I going to get out of drinking that makes it worth doing? Is it really required to achieve that or is it even the best way to achieve that?

I realized that most of the time I was coming at myself with I should drink because I can drink. That is certainly true but that doesn't tell me what positive outcome picking up a drink will accomplish.

This might be completely absurd for anyone else. Even reading it myself makes me think this is just some dumb trick but if I am fooling myself I am doing a really good job of it.

This, just this. I'm going to do it. Everything you say makes sense. Thanks for pointing out the flip side!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you Julie. I crave the sugar again when under intense stress. When I went to my father's house to see his empty chair after he passed, the liguor store was calling me. I ate so much in cookies and candy that week. Really did not gain anything to speak of either. Better that than the amount of liquor I would have had. I would never have been able to get it all done what I needed to do and drive back and forth hours as well. I remember when I was drinking heavily, and sober enough to drive, the severe anxiety I had driving alone a few miles. I can't imagine doing 300 one way. YAY I am doing well!!!!

Also I was happy to spend $25 in mulch to make the front yard look nice yesterday. I have not done that in 4 years. That would have been 2 bottles in wine and I was thinking it would have been gone in one day and misery to show for it. I am still playing catch up after all the drinking I did. so much happier now and can handle stress overall easier.

Everyone, have a great day.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Kick The Drink ...Easily by Jason Vale, an easy to read, very insightful. Has helped changed the way I think about alcohol and got me to day 14 AF with no wobbles.