Exhausted

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How much do you sleep each night? When I started becoming more active, I absolutely needed more sleep. I also tried eating 1200 calories for a while, and even though the weight was melting off (I'm 5'6" and started at 256lbs), I felt like an exhausted pile of turd. Similarly, I do most of the household chores like cooking and laundry.

A couple of things I did which have helped improve the situation:
    • I meal prep one day a week to keep MY diet in check. This is usually just breakfast/snacks/lunches and I cook a family dinner that I can portion to fit my calorie goals. The kids eat what I eat because I do the work. If they want something else, they can scavenge for it themselves. My kids breakfasts/lunches are usually a variation of my own or they make it themselves (my kid is a teenager so I have a break there.).
    • I go to bed at the same time every night. For me it's like 8:30pm because, well, I can and I get up at 4am to run before everyone else is up. This is tricky if you have little ones, but God's honest truth, get yourself at least 7 hours of sleep each night and your life will change.
    • Decide what you can live with not being done around the house, because you are important and you deserve to have a healthy life and body. This could mean a few loads of laundry are slower to get done or something doesn't get vacuumed or scrubbed exactly when it usually does. Once you find you can honor yourself first, it becomes easier to honor other things. All that stuff will fall back into order--it just takes a little time.
    • Go through the MFP "wizard" again and select an appropriate activity goal and rate of loss. Probably something like sedentary + 1lb to 1.5lb per week. This gives you a few more calories to work with. As long as you are measuring your portions with a food scale, you'll continue to lose and not feel terrible.
  • adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How much do you sleep each night? When I started becoming more active, I absolutely needed more sleep. I also tried eating 1200 calories for a while, and even though the weight was melting off (I'm 5'6" and started at 256lbs), I felt like an exhausted pile of turd. Similarly, I do most of the household chores like cooking and laundry.

• I meal prep one day a week to keep MY diet in check. This is usually just breakfast/snacks/lunches and I cook a family dinner that I can portion to fit my calorie goals. The kids eat what I eat because I do the work. If they want something else, they can scavenge for it themselves. My kids breakfasts/lunches are usually a variation of my own or they make it themselves (my kid is a teenager so I have a break there.).
    • I go to bed at the same time every night. For me it's like 8:30pm because, well, I can and I get up at 4am to run before everyone else is up. This is tricky if you have little ones, but God's honest truth, get yourself at least 7 hours of sleep each night and your life will change.
    • Decide what you can live with not being done around the house, because you are important and you deserve to have a healthy life and body. This could mean a few loads of laundry are slower to get done or something doesn't get vacuumed or scrubbed exactly when it usually does. Once you find you can honor yourself first, it becomes easier to honor other things. All that stuff will fall back into order--it just takes a little time.
    • Go through the MFP "wizard" again and select an appropriate activity goal and rate of loss. Probably something like sedentary + 1lb to 1.5lb per week. This gives you a few more calories to work with. As long as you are measuring your portions with a food scale, you'll continue to lose and not feel terrible.

Thank you! Everyone in my household is good about eating what I cook. I just cook unhealthy because it's easy. Since I work so many house and take care of my household fast and easy is the way I go. Ex: Tacos.

I usually go to bed about 10:30 or 11:00 and I'm up at 4:30. So I sleep about 6 hours a night. Definitely could use more, but when I wake up I feel rested. As the day goes on I crash!

I need to stop being a perfectionist with my house. I was just raised under such a strict household when it came to things like that it's a habit hard to break.

I will definitely re work my macros and calories!
  • adortiz1990
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I hear you saying that your lifestyle (doing everything for others) HAS to be sustainable because it's what you have chosen, what's culturally acceptable, and what's expected by others in your life.

Your body is telling you it's not sustainable though. Telling you loud and clear.

Great suggestions here - MORE CALORIES (and not from another fast food meal; are you getting enough protein, among other nutrients, or just a bunch of sugar and fat?) - LESS HIIT and more reasonable expectations about workouts - shortcutting your home responsibilities wherever possible.

I sounds like you don't think anything can be shortcut or outsourced to others. I say this with an empathetic hug: when you fly on a plane they tell you, PUT THE OXYGEN MASK ON YOU FIRST. What happens to your family when you can't sustain the pace, physically or emotionally? It seems to me that increased focus on your own health and well being has to be a priority...

It's not sustainable. That's why I reached out for help because I don't know how to juggle all of it, but I know it all has to be juggled. I knew there were more experienced people that could guide me in the right direction. I know I can't continue the way I am. I am literally at my desk after a 20oz redbull fighting to keep my eyes open. Something's got to give. Oh and my food intake was primarily from fats and sugars until I decided to go vegetarian for a couple of weeks. So as of yesterday its plant based everything.
  • adortiz1990
    edited June 2018
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! Again my household responsibilities won't change, but that's okay. I chose to be a wife and mother and I don't regret it. I just need more energy. :smile:

As a child who had no chores around the house let me tell you my parents did me no favors. Did I enjoy not having to do anything other than homework and have fun? Yes! Did I become a functioning adult? NO!

I would highly advise having your children start helping you around the house. I'm not sure how old they are but I'm including a link that breaks down example tasks by age group.
    https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/parenting-challenges/motivating-kids-to-clean-up/age-appropriate-chores?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-nu2Lng2wIVyFmGCh30-w8kEAAYASAAEgK_qvD_BwE

This suggestion is not just to help you gain more time back. It is also so your children can take care of themselves without relying on others once they leave the house. Children do not learn through osmosis of watching you do it, they learn by trying themselves while in an environment where it is safe to ask for help or clarification.

Please do not take this as an attack on your housewife/parenting style. It is not intended that way at all. I just wanted to provide perspective that not many consider.

Everyone in my household has responsibilities, but yes the house work falls more on me. The kids room as to be cleaned by them, their bathroom is their responsibility, and they have to take out the trash. Everything else is my responsibility though. There's just not enough hours in the day. I am sure you understand that. :smile:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're actually doing HIIT 5x per week, that might be part of the problem. HIIT shouldn't be performed 5x per week. True HIIT should be done once or twice per week tops. HIIT is brutal to the body.

Well that's nice to know! I usually start with 30 minutes of a regular cardio routine to warm up, 20 minutes of interval running, and then 30 minutes of an HIIT exercise. I read that that HIIT training was good for your energy levels and metabolism. That would explain why after almost six weeks I feel worse than I did before I started working out so hard. I thought my body just had to get used to it. I've always been active as far as sports, but an actual gym routine is new to me.

HIIT should only be done once per week. Most people don't reach high enough intensity levels to truly be doing HIIT. That being said, it sounds like you might be overexercising in that area and maybe under-fueling.

What is your calorie goal, weight loss goal, current height and current weight?

Calorie Goal - 1200 - Which usually comes from one fast food meal during the day
    Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I usually burn off all my calorie intake according to my FitBit.

I'm the first to say I am doing this all wrong, but I don't really know how to go about my calories, my macros, my workouts. I was active and fit in school. I love to play sports! I still go play a game of basketball once or twice a week. As far as a gym/workout routine, eating healthy/correctly, I am just winging it.

you arent supposed to burn off all your calorie intake. your body burns calories just by being alive. if you burn 400 calories through exercise eat most if not all back. MFP gives you your defecit without exercise. if you are netting negative numbers then that is why you are exhausted. when they say burn more than you take in they dont mean eat 1200 calories and burn off 1200 calories. it means you eat less than your TDEE(bmr-what your body needs to function+ your activity calories=TDEE). at 262 lbs all that exercise and not fueling your body is too much ,you are also most likely losing a lot of lean mass eating so little.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    If you're actually doing HIIT 5x per week, that might be part of the problem. HIIT shouldn't be performed 5x per week. True HIIT should be done once or twice per week tops. HIIT is brutal to the body.

Well that's nice to know! I usually start with 30 minutes of a regular cardio routine to warm up, 20 minutes of interval running, and then 30 minutes of an HIIT exercise. I read that that HIIT training was good for your energy levels and metabolism. That would explain why after almost six weeks I feel worse than I did before I started working out so hard. I thought my body just had to get used to it. I've always been active as far as sports, but an actual gym routine is new to me.

HIIT should only be done once per week. Most people don't reach high enough intensity levels to truly be doing HIIT. That being said, it sounds like you might be overexercising in that area and maybe under-fueling.

Calorie Goal - 1200 - Which usually comes from one fast food meal during the day
    Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I'm the first to say I am doing this all wrong, but I don't really know how to go about my calories, my macros, my workouts. I was active and fit in school. I love to play sports! I still go play a game of basketball once or twice a week. As far as a gym/workout routine, eating healthy/correctly, I am just winging it.

you arent supposed to burn off all your calorie intake. your body burns calories just by being alive. if you burn 400 calories through exercise eat most if not all back. MFP gives you your defecit without exercise. if you are netting negative numbers then that is why you are exhausted. when they say burn more than you take in they dont mean eat 1200 calories and burn off 1200 calories. it means you eat less than your TDEE(bmr-what your body needs to function+ your activity calories=TDEE). at 262 lbs all that exercise and not fueling your body is too much ,you are also most likely losing a lot of lean mass eating so little.

Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I was always curious if you were supposed to be measuring calories in general or net calories. I'm going to work on upping my calories and not working out so hard everyday. Maybe I'll get some of my energy back.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    I hear you saying that your lifestyle (doing everything for others) HAS to be sustainable because it's what you have chosen, what's culturally acceptable, and what's expected by others in your life.

Your body is telling you it's not sustainable though. Telling you loud and clear.

Great suggestions here - MORE CALORIES (and not from another fast food meal; are you getting enough protein, among other nutrients, or just a bunch of sugar and fat?) - LESS HIIT and more reasonable expectations about workouts - shortcutting your home responsibilities wherever possible.

I sounds like you don't think anything can be shortcut or outsourced to others. I say this with an empathetic hug: when you fly on a plane they tell you, PUT THE OXYGEN MASK ON YOU FIRST. What happens to your family when you can't sustain the pace, physically or emotionally? It seems to me that increased focus on your own health and well being has to be a priority...

It's not sustainable. That's why I reached out for help because I don't know how to juggle all of it, but I know it all has to be juggled. I knew there were more experienced people that could guide me in the right direction. I know I can't continue the way I am. I am literally at my desk after a 20oz redbull fighting to keep my eyes open. Something's got to give.

Everyone has told you how to juggle it. Quit being "superwoman."

I work full-time, raise my child and hit the gym before and after work to get my training in. Dinner is either in the crockpot, something simple (including tacos!) or hubby cooks. Cleaning is minimal, and I have someone come in once every two weeks to do the deep cleaning. Son is required to do chores, including mowing the lawn and dishes, cleaning his room and bathroom. Hubby pitches in with laundry and other stuff. I go to bed at 7:45 every night and am up at 3:45 to make everything happen.

I'm 5'9, 180, and losing on 1800 calories per day.

Don't think I am not taking everyone's advise into consideration. I am taking it all in and going to work it into a new routine. However, my household is run a little different. Nothing wrong with you way or my way, just two different ways. It's easy for people to say everyone does something or everyone does this or that. That's not the case in my household, and that's okay. I'm not abused or forced to run my household a certain way. I was just brought up differently and have different expectation of myself and my roles as a mother and wife. My thread was why I was so tired not how to change my lifestyle. I used to do just fine until I started the lower calories and HIIT. Now I know up the calories and cut back on the killing myself in the gym. Haha! I appreciate everyone's advice. It's what I asked for and I would not have asked for it if I was not willing to make some changes. :smiley:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I was always curious if you were supposed to be measuring calories in general or net calories. I'm going to work on upping my calories and not working out so hard everyday. Maybe I'll get some of my energy back.

with mfp they use the NEAT method which calculates your deficit and you are supposed to eat back some of your calories and if it gives you 1500 calories that means you should net 1500 calories. now if you follow any other method where your exercise calories are included(here they are not) then no you dont eat those back. I would set my calories to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week and eat to that calorie goal. see what happens in the next month and assess things then. if you still feel exhausted then get blood panels done to rule anything out Im sure its just eating too little and working out too much,but you never know. I have health issues that leave me exhausted quite often and I eat enough calories(sometimes too much lol).
  • adortiz1990
    Options

Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

with mfp they use the NEAT method which calculates your deficit and you are supposed to eat back some of your calories and if it gives you 1500 calories that means you should net 1500 calories. now if you follow any other method where your exercise calories are included(here they are not) then no you dont eat those back. I would set my calories to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week and eat to that calorie goal. see what happens in the next month and assess things then. if you still feel exhausted then get blood panels done to rule anything out Im sure its just eating too little and working out too much,but you never know. I have health issues that leave me exhausted quite often and I eat enough calories(sometimes too much lol).

I'm actually extremely healthy to be over weight. No diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure, blood works always comes back exceptional. However, I get bad migraines and seizures. That's not because of my weight, I've had them since I was 3; but I know my weight is eventually going to make them worse. This fatigue is making my migraines really bad this last month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    ps - there's nothing inherently unhealthy about tacos. Because they are yummy, they are easy to overeat. I combat this by having a taco salad - lots of veggies, less cheese, moderate amount of tortilla. All that volume from the veggies fills me up.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thank you! Everyone in my household is good about eating what I cook. I just cook unhealthy because it's easy. Since I work so many house and take care of my household fast and easy is the way I go. Ex: Tacos.

I usually go to bed about 10:30 or 11:00 and I'm up at 4:30. So I sleep about 6 hours a night. Definitely could use more, but when I wake up I feel rested. As the day goes on I crash!

I need to stop being a perfectionist with my house. I was just raised under such a strict household when it came to things like that it's a habit hard to break.

I will definitely re work my macros and calories!

Did your mother work outside the house 12 and a half hours a day?

My mother was 100% responsible for the house when she was a stay at home mom, but when she went back to work when my little brother was 10, we older kids picked up the slack.

It's just not realistic to have a more than full time job plus all the household responsibilities as well.

My grandmother raised me and she worked from about 7 in the morning to around 10 or 11 at night. She woke up to make homemade tortillas, breakfast, and lunch for all of us. During her break between shifts she made sure we had dinner made everyday. We cleaned house and so did she. We were responsible for our room and the restroom, and my mom did my laundry every weekend when she came to visit me. So yes the woman who raised me worked her butt off and took care of our household.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options

It's not sustainable. That's why I reached out for help because I don't know how to juggle all of it, but I know it all has to be juggled. I knew there were more experienced people that could guide me in the right direction. I know I can't continue the way I am. I am literally at my desk after a 20oz redbull fighting to keep my eyes open. Something's got to give.

Everyone has told you how to juggle it. Quit being "superwoman."

I work full-time, raise my child and hit the gym before and after work to get my training in. Dinner is either in the crockpot, something simple (including tacos!) or hubby cooks. Cleaning is minimal, and I have someone come in once every two weeks to do the deep cleaning. Son is required to do chores, including mowing the lawn and dishes, cleaning his room and bathroom. Hubby pitches in with laundry and other stuff. I go to bed at 7:45 every night and am up at 3:45 to make everything happen.

I'm 5'9, 180, and losing on 1800 calories per day.

Yes, when my ex husband and I were both working full time and going to school part time, I paid someone to come in periodically to do the deep cleaning. And I bought a dishwasher.