Man who is fit and fat

Options
2»

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    @sijomial You have quite an impressive profile page. I like to cycle too. Doing 100 in 6.5 hours ain't shabby ol' timer. Great work and inspiration.
  • tpspiege
    tpspiege Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So I find some similarities in what you have shared and for the last couple years I have justified that I'm physically strong but I carry extra weight (fat) over that foundation... but then about 18months ago I had a fundamental mental change driven by 3 main factors.

1) A comment from my physician during one of my annual physicals. I don't have the exact words, but was effectively referencing that while he recognizes I have been physically big/strong the ~15yrs he's been my primary care physician, and in general my frame carries it well (6'4", broad shouldered) the truth is that I have also continued to add weight (fat) year to year as my metabolism slowed. Then he talked about how all that extra weight being carried by the body puts more stress on everything... from the synovial fluid in your joints, to all the extra tissue that your cardiovascular system must supply, etc. So his question to me was "why do you need to carry all of this muscle?" ... if you lost weight and some of that just happened to be some muscle what would that "take away" from you at this stage of your life (middle aged, married, desk job, etc.) vs everything that reducing the overall load/tax on your body's system.

I walked away from the appointment grumbling about the stupid doctor, but the more I thought about it the more valid the logic seemed, and then

2) I did some reading about the difference in visceral fat (the fat around your organs when you are carrying extra weight in your waistline even if your shoulders/arms are muscular) and the strain visceral fat around the organs put on your body, and then

3) Going back and looking at my MFP data day to day and making a connection between how my lack of fiber (because most of my calories consumed were derived from heavy protein/fat source) was probably contributing to digestive woes that were increasing in frequency of "flare ups"

So I made some fundamental shifts in my approach to things... slowly cranked up my fiber intake, which helps me feel "full" and keeps my digestive system moving in a regular manner. I also started doing more cardio, keeping strength training part of all of my workouts, but shifted more exercise to focus to our most important muscle... the heart.

For about 18 months now I have continued to exercise both cardio & strength and while I haven't had much of any "gains" in my lifts for a year an a half now (would be lying if I said that doesn't still bother me a little) I have lost over 50lbs on the scale (which then has to be fat, because loss of muscle wouldn't maintain how much weight I can move in my strength lifts).

he crazy part about it, is that most comments I've received as of late start out with "you've lost weight", but then transition to some reference about how I must be doing a lot more strength training because I look "stronger" now. I know as a measurable fact that I really haven't gained any muscle/strength, I've just been slowly peeling off the extra layers of fat surrounding it all.

Anyways... long post (and I don't offer/post much to the MFP community) but something I thought might be worth sharing, because I also self identified as "fit but fat" for years and then flipped my mindset around to be... what if I kept my "fit" but lost the "fat"? Not there yet, but I wish I would have reached this conclusion years ago.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fellow former fit fatty here. 4.03 marathon and 11.38 Ironman all while the wrong side of 110kg

Now the right side of 95kg(still a bit to go to hit goal) and just as fit but so much quicker! Every day the weight comes down the speed goes up. Love it!

Initially I was 140+kg but would still go out and ride for 40+ miles and play squash twice a week. I look back and wonder how I ever did it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You might be strong and fat, but you can't be both fit and fat.

I'm fit and fat. I can run longer than the average inactive normal weight person, and I'm obese. I'm quite fit compared to some people, or at least to what I used to be. I used to need to stop to catch my breath if I walked for more than 2 minutes.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    And @colors_fade that is exactly how I feel. Something happens to me and I am able to maintain a very sharp focus and discipline, I log, and lose, and it feels great. Something equally mysterious happens and I stop my focus and discipline and I bounce back. I've done it twice now.

It's not a great mystery for me. I've done the bounce up more than a few times. I know what happens every time. It might be the same for you.

Mine always starts with an event that revolves around food: going out with the wife, a birthday party, night out with the kids, etc. Something where I am not in direct control of the food being prepared, so I cannot weigh the food and I have no idea how many calories are in the food. I'll overeat/drink too much. Sometimes these events get stacked several days in a row. I may eat well during the day (breakfast, lunch, pre-workout), but then the evening meal out with friends or the wife or the family and I overdo it. I often have no real idea how many calories I'm consuming at these things.

I've figured out a couple strategies for dealing with these meals, but I'm still in the process of honing the discipline to enact these strategies when it counts. Sometimes it's just fun to drink and eat a bit, but it does slow down my progress.

And that's why I mentioned focus, almost to the obsessive level. When I'm out, if I can get myself to think about my goals and obsess about them a bit, I can usually have the discipline to carry out the strategies (like ordering an appetizer instead of an entree, or choosing a salad instead of a pizza, that sort of thing).

It's a process.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,239 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sometimes it's just fun to drink and eat a bit, but it does slow down my progress.

@colors_fade I agree, though my progress usually gets obliterated and I don't "slow my progress," I regress.

@seanaanderson has a whole bunch of tricks to maintain, he writes very eloquently about his techniques. I hope to try them out...but that's incumbent on me getting back (for a third time) to my goal weight.