Options

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    https://exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp

Walking approximately 5.6 km/h (3.5 mph) is the most efficient speed. Running efficiency appears to taper off at higher speeds.

Transitioning from walking to running requires an increase of energy unlike once speculated. The primary stimulus for the transition from walking to running [Preferred Transition Speed (PTS)] is prompted by the perceived or imminent fatigue and discomfort in the tibialis anterior and other dorsal flexion muscle of the ankle (Hreljac 1995, Prilutshy et al 2001).

There's a newer study out that acknowledges height as a driver of walking efficiency. The taller you are, the more efficient you are when walking. That said, I'm not sure if height actually changes the 3.5mph point, or if it only changes the absolute level of efficiency vs. a shorter person at that same speed.

It's probably stride - what percentage of your longest stride you are taking and how frequently. There is probably a magic mix of those two numbers where you are at top efficiency and there would be a difference in max stride for a taller person.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Im a fan of walking - or power walking if you will...jogging for women is proven that it CAN be damaging to our lady parts. walking is not and its more energy efficient when it comes to weight loss.

btw. congratulations to you. :)

Which lady part gets damaged running?

????The male ego when we can out run them??? That's my guess at least, probably comes from the same source that says that if a woman lifts, she'll get super bulky and look like a man.

Sadly this can be very true. I recently got fourth place in a 5k road race. The winner was a 12-year-old boy, second place went to a guy in his thirties, and third and fourth went to another woman and myself. I later overheard the guy who finished in fifth kvetching on the phone to his mate about how he'd been beaten by 'two old women' and he really should have come third.

If I was running for podium(I don't) I'd be more embarrassed by being beaten by a small child.

I wouldn't, small children have endless energry that they've siphoned off thier parents. They also don't register pain like adults - face planting on concrete: small child, get back up to play. Adult: we're just gonna lie there and die for a bit. :wink:

Also, I have seen some 12 year olds that look like college linebackers. You really can't generalize about that runner being a small child.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of walking - or power walking if you will...jogging for women is proven that it CAN be damaging to our lady parts. walking is not and its more energy efficient when it comes to weight loss.

I wore lacy knickers on a long run once which caused chafing... that was damaging to my ladyparts :laugh:

I've been trying to come up with a joke about kicking myself in the bits and pieces when I run, but I just don't know how that would even happen.

I give myself black eyes if I run without a sports bra. Does that count?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always recommend fast walking. It is also best exercise for muscles.

in what way is it 'best' for muscles? and how fast is 'fast'?
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I already have a bad knee so I have to walk. Having said that, walking every day works in losing weight and getting healthy (with watching calories intake). It is slow but steady. I walk at a 3. - 3.5 mi/hr (depending on if the dogs are on a leash in the neighborhood or just free on the park trails) and usually do an ~hr walk/day. This helped me lose 45 lbs in 9 mo. Then stopped walking and gained 15 lb in 8 mo. So started walking again in Mid-May. Down 5 lbs now!

So long-winded way to say I am a true believer in walking. A bit slower but effective. Weight down, resting heart beat down, BP down. Feeling good. Also don’t have to participate in the runner culture mindset!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    just fyi
    jogging=running.

Exactly, I hate when people say they saw me going for a jog, I am a runner and I run. What people think of as a jog is just a slower pace, but then would you say I jogged a marathon, even if it's at that slower pace.

I've always heard it related to intended effort. Not outright speed levels.

If it was well slower than normal/possible because of a desired effect (recovery, training aerobic system, heat, ect) - then a jog.

Nope. Jogging isn't anything. Physical we run or we walk. There is no other way biologically. We aren't horses that change the way they physically move. We either have 2 feet on the ground (standing), move with always one foot on the ground (walking) or move with occasionally zero feet on the ground (run).

"Jog" was an invention to call the running boxers do during training - i.e. road work
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    If you look jogging up, definitions are about the slow, gentle consistent pace for exercise with less stress on the body than running faster. A lot of people do it in a manner such that they always have one foot on the ground but do the bent knee running form.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you look jogging up, definitions are about the slow, gentle consistent pace for exercise with less stress on the body than running faster. A lot of people do it in a manner such that they always have one foot on the ground but do the bent knee running form.

That's funny. I find running to be less stressful on the body than jogging. Sure its more exhausting but the load forces seem to be more horizontal and less vertical the faster you go thus easier on the ankles, knees and spine. At least for me. But I'm not a dedicated runner so I don't have the shoes for jogging. I tend to walk and then go for sprints here and there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That's funny. I find running to be less stressful on the body than jogging. Sure its more exhausting but the load forces seem to be more horizontal and less vertical the faster you go thus easier on the ankles, knees and spine. At least for me. But I'm not a dedicated runner so I don't have the shoes for jogging. I tend to walk and then go for sprints here and there.

That's probably true for most if they could find that sweet spot speed that is great running economy/efficiency/form and notice the difference, I'm sure many don't, especially if weight is being lost at the same time.
    And then try to imitate some of those form changes at the slower speed. Some can be duplicated (like turnover, which keeps contact time down), sadly some can't be (tendon stretch return).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

ditto. It's really hard (at least for me) for jogging to not be this hoppy vertical gait or the alternative shuffling-like-you-are-about-to-trip thing. What's described above sounds more like some kind of power walking (esp the 1 foot always on the ground).

If I'm so winded that my run has devolved into some kind of almost-as-slow-as-walking-shuffling-slog, then it makes way more sense to me to just take a walking interval and catch my breath, and then return to running - it results in both a better average pace and less suffering. Some people are stubborn and absolutely refuse to walk - you see people all the time in larger races hopping/shuffling about and breathing like they are about to keel over...and they are going slower than walking.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

ditto. It's really hard (at least for me) for jogging to not be this hoppy vertical gait or the alternative shuffling-like-you-are-about-to-trip thing. What's described above sounds more like some kind of power walking (esp the 1 foot always on the ground).

If I'm so winded that my run has devolved into some kind of almost-as-slow-as-walking-shuffling-slog, then it makes way more sense to me to just take a walking interval and catch my breath, and then return to running - it results in both a better average pace and less suffering. Some people are stubborn and absolutely refuse to walk - you see people all the time in larger races hopping/shuffling about and breathing like they are about to keel over...and they are going slower than walking.

When I ran (before serious knee trouble) after I got into pretty good running shape I never changed pace more than a small amount; maybe 1/3 of a mph on either side of 6 mph.

I do see some people power walk with a slightly bent knee. In race walking, that will disqualify you if you do it out in front of you. I walk at 4+ mph and do sometimes bend the knee out front for steep climbs, but don't do the running motion that some of the slowest joggers do. Some are so slow that I pass them.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

My mom is into competitive Race Walking and she is really good at it, She has medalled at US nationals. I'm not certain but I think her pace is somewhere around 9min miles for her 5k races. The contortions she has to make to go that fast and keep one foot on the ground per rules, look really odd and uncomfortable. The stiff leg hip pop thing looks like it could cause some long term injuries to me, but she's been doing it for a long time with out issue. I wonder about calorie burn on something like versus lazy jogging, I imagine the race walking might actually be more. But that is really weird and not commonly what people refer as walking or even speed or powerwalking.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

My mom is into competitive Race Walking and she is really good at it, She has medalled at US nationals. I'm not certain but I think her pace is somewhere around 9min miles for her 5k races. The contortions she has to make to go that fast and keep one foot on the ground per rules, look really odd and uncomfortable. The stiff leg hip pop thing looks like it could cause some long term injuries to me, but she's been doing it for a long time with out issue. I wonder about calorie burn on something like versus lazy jogging, I imagine the race walking might actually be more. But that is really weird and not commonly what people refer as walking or even speed or powerwalking.

Wow - I ran 10 minute miles. But that is what I ran for 5k, 10k and a half marathon. Actually, I was slightly faster doing the half. Doing anything but a steady pace messed me up.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Which lady part gets damaged running?

????The male ego when we can out run them??? That's my guess at least, probably comes from the same source that says that if a woman lifts, she'll get super bulky and look like a man.

Sadly this can be very true. I recently got fourth place in a 5k road race. The winner was a 12-year-old boy, second place went to a guy in his thirties, and third and fourth went to another woman and myself. I later overheard the guy who finished in fifth kvetching on the phone to his mate about how he'd been beaten by 'two old women' and he really should have come third.

If I was running for podium(I don't) I'd be more embarrassed by being beaten by a small child.

Those kids run past me like I'm standing still.
  • mutantspicy
    edited June 2018
    Options

Wow - I ran 10 minute miles. But that is what I ran for 5k, 10k and a half marathon. Actually, I was slightly faster doing the half. Doing anything but a steady pace messed me up.

Yeah those people aren't messing around. Its not uncommon for my mom and her Race walker pals to beat some of the runners in a 10k. It looks really weird tho.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Yeah those people aren't messing around. Its not uncommon for my mom and her Race walker pals to beat some of the runners in a 10k. It looks really weird tho.

Still fuzzy colorful ankle warmers? ;-)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you can jog, then do so! It is great for increasing your cardio fitness. I can't go faster than 5.0 mph because it hurts my knees.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The lady part thing made me laugh 😀.

I run three days a week and am working towards my first 10K. My gynecologist recently told me my lady parts were in great condition - though whether that’s a result of the running I really couldn’t say!

Do whatever exercise makes you feel good - moving is what matters.