Fruit and veg free??

Options
Hi hoping someone can help me, on other diets i know fruit and veg are free and can eat quite abit, also i know every barcode has calories, do you still have to put the calories in ur daily amount please.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Water is the only thing without calories.
    Everything else counts. Even things with very few calories add up.
    Weigh, measure, and log everything.
  • Carlamurfet
    Carlamurfet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments they are helpful 😀 , ive done ww for years and really bored of it so trying something new.

• Carlamurfet
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi hoping someone can help me, on other diets i know fruit and veg are free and can eat quite abit, also i know every barcode has calories, do you still have to put the calories in ur daily amount please.

WW uses a point system which does not correlate with calories. They make things like veg and fruit "free" to get people to eat more and then they inflate the points of other things to compensate.

Counting points isn't the same thing as counting calories. Fruit and veg have calories...some of them have quite a few calories...1 medium apple is nearly 100 calories.

I only started using this app yesterday and scanning the fruit and veg im shocked at how many calories they have in it, the good thing about this is it encourages you to exercise more to get extra calories lol i will get the hang of it in a few days.
  • Carlamurfet
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

WW uses a point system which does not correlate with calories. They make things like veg and fruit "free" to get people to eat more and then they inflate the points of other things to compensate.

Counting points isn't the same thing as counting calories. Fruit and veg have calories...some of them have quite a few calories...1 medium apple is nearly 100 calories.

I only started using this app yesterday and scanning the fruit and veg im shocked at how many calories they have in it, the good thing about this is it encourages you to exercise more to get extra calories lol i will get the hang of it in a few days.

This is why some people find that WW doesn't really work for them. Fruit and vegetables do have calories. Some people find it very easy to eat hundreds of calories of fruits and vegetables and that's enough to cause problems with consistently creating a deficit if you aren't counting them.

I've done ww for years and did lose on it but i found i was eating the same foods which got boring, the problem with me is i like snacks so hoping this is a new way of looking at food.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The last time I did Weight Watchers, the free fruit actually had the opposite effect of what was intended. Instead of eating more fruit I was so concerned about inadvertently eating too much of it that I basically stopped eating fruit altogether. Our leader kept explaining that fruit had no points but that didn't mean we could eat as much as we wanted of it and we needed to be careful.

I find I prefer the simplicity of counting my calories and eating what I want, within reason. I don't need to be incentivized to eat fruits and veggies, I like to eat that way.
  • Carlamurfet
    Options
    The last time I did Weight Watchers, the free fruit actually had the opposite effect of what was intended. Instead of eating more fruit I was so concerned about inadvertently eating too much of it that I basically stopped eating fruit altogether. Our leader kept explaining that fruit had no points but that didn't mean we could eat as much as we wanted of it and we needed to be careful.

I find I prefer the simplicity of counting my calories and eating what I want, within reason. I don't need to be incentivized to eat fruits and veggies, I like to eat that way.

I know what you mean, how are you doing on this diet???
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I ate nearly 400 calories of fruit and veg yesterday. That's about 1/2 lb/week worth. If they were left unaccounted for, I would be wondering why I was losing so slowly.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs since last October, but I still have a ways to go. That includes 6 weeks of self-pity eating and forced inactivity when I sprained my left ankle.
  • Carlamurfet
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I ate nearly 400 calories of fruit and veg yesterday. That's about 1/2 lb/week worth. If they were left unaccounted for, I would be wondering why I was losing so slowly.

It really does amaze me how many calories they have, your information is very helpful, thank you.
  • Carlamurfet
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs since last October, but I still have a ways to go. That includes 6 weeks of self-pity eating and forced inactivity when I sprained my left ankle.

That's really good and you have to think your 45lbs down and not on so well done.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    I am fruit and vegetable free....and grain free as well. Planning meals is so much easier that way....

So an all meat diet. How is that easier?
  • Carlamurfet
    Options
    I am fruit and vegetable free....and grain free as well. Planning meals is so much easier that way....

Surely you need the goodness from them, so u dont have your 5 a day??
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

His profile says he's on keto. Make of that what you will.

OP, vegetables and to a lesser degree fruit are less calorie-dense than other foods in general, which is why WW thinks they can get away with making them 'free.' However, MFP is a calorie-counting app first and foremost. Your body is going to count the calories, whether you do or not :smile:
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Planning is easier without options to make it complex ....
    pinuplove wrote: »

His profile says he's on keto. Make of that what you will.
    Am doing the carnivore diet for the month of June, but yes Keto is the staple. I put this out only because of the title of the op....make of that what you will.