Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! Just checking in to the current thread. Haven't posted in quite a while, but I'm still here reading and enjoying being a part of this group!

I'm 165 days AF (would never have thought that was possible!), and I don't ever envision drinking again at this point. Moderation, for me, is a slippery slope and is more effort than just not drinking at all. So I just don't drink anymore.

@JulieAL1969 had posted a link to an article a while back where (I think) Keith Urban reflected that his world had become smaller and smaller due to alcohol. That statement really resonated with me. I've made an effort since quitting alcohol to open my world up. A girl-trip with my daughter (our first!), renewed focus on my fitness goals (I'm registered for my first marathon in the fall!), doing well at work, a stronger relationship with my husband, etc.

I wish everyone the best of luck in meeting their goals, whatever those may be :smile:

I wonder what it would be to be so far along in the AF journey. I appreciate your post and the sleeping post. I am 54 days AF and my sleep is better but not great. I hope it improves. I have been so much better on working out.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Finally got my test results today, Negative. What a relief!
    ErikNJ, any news? Not trying to pry, just thinking about you.

great news!
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 best holiday for you ever!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    rolandmuts wrote: »
    After a doctor visit i decided to also cut out alcohol. Using MyFitnessPal i started calculating the calories i was taking in just based on the tequila or vodka... And now every day i'm happy i'm not taking in that amount of calories anymore :-)

Exercise, family, healthy food. Simple things in life.

Love your motto simple things in life. Happy you found happiness. Xo
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    The test results came back for my wife, everything is good ***happy dance***
    Thank you to everyone who gave kind thoughts and words!

That is also EXCELLENT news!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

That is wonderful!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Hooray! So happy for you both! Beautiful day!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Katehopes wrote: »
    I went 6 days AF and then caved. Husband brought me home a bottle of wine (sweet gesture, not realizing what I’m trying to do lol) after a very difficult few days, and a terribly difficult day in particular, and I went for it. Thankfully I got right back on the wagon the next day and am on day 3 again already. That hasn’t been so easy in the past - a few days AF ended by an overindulgent night would lead to months of nearly daily consistent over drinking. Fresh start, hopefully until July.

Starting again right away can be extremely tough. Good for you.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! @snoo61 and @erikNJ Praise and Thanksgiving!!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Fantastic news. Very happy for you!!! Hugs to your wife!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

*breathes a sigh of relief for all of us*

• kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I haven't drunk since January 31. Before then, I drank pretty much every day.

0pm7olflqn6u.jpg

(I ran 50 km on June 10 2018, and I didn't sleep well due to endorphins lately, so ignore the last blip.)

When drinking, (before Jan 31) I used to need a lot more sleep than I do now. I used to wake up at least 3 times a night needing the toilet, and have much more restless sleep. I used to always take at least an hour to get to sleep, and Garmin counts that as light sleep.

Now, I need to get up less during the night. My body doesn't need as much repair from, or filtering of the alcohol.

Now, I fall asleep within about 10 minutes. I have deeper sleep, and wake refreshed.

I need to spend less time in bed, but it's more restful when I do, and I'm much more productive during the day.

Hi, Orphia!
    Your sleep graph, and insights into your sleep quality since quitting alcohol, is really interesting! I do find that I fall asleep easier and generally feel more rested in the morning as well. Congrats on the 50km run! Are you training for a race? I've been running avidly for ~10 years, have raced primarily half-marathons, but now finally feel physically and mentally ready to tackle the marathon distance.

Karen

• kcn2bluesky
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Yes, I couldn't figure why I was always having nightmares while drinking so much. Didn't connect it to alcohol. I just thought it was all the past trauma/stress I had been through. The only time I get a nightmare now is if I have caffeine too close to bed or chocolate. I sleep WAY better.

Hi, Saleewins!

I'm glad to hear you get better sleep now without alcohol! It really makes such a difference, but can take some time for our bodies and minds to settle down into a restorative pattern. I feel like I tossed and turned a lot on nights when I was drinking in the evenings. I never seemed to feel that refreshed the next day, but then the cycle would repeat the next evening, or at least most evenings of the week. An endless cycle for me, and I'm happy to be free of it.

Karen
  • kcn2bluesky
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! Just checking in to the current thread. Haven't posted in quite a while, but I'm still here reading and enjoying being a part of this group!

I'm 165 days AF (would never have thought that was possible!), and I don't ever envision drinking again at this point. Moderation, for me, is a slippery slope and is more effort than just not drinking at all. So I just don't drink anymore.

@JulieAL1969 had posted a link to an article a while back where (I think) Keith Urban reflected that his world had become smaller and smaller due to alcohol. That statement really resonated with me. I've made an effort since quitting alcohol to open my world up. A girl-trip with my daughter (our first!), renewed focus on my fitness goals (I'm registered for my first marathon in the fall!), doing well at work, a stronger relationship with my husband, etc.

I wish everyone the best of luck in meeting their goals, whatever those may be :smile:

I wonder what it would be to be so far along in the AF journey. I appreciate your post and the sleeping post. I am 54 days AF and my sleep is better but not great. I hope it improves. I have been so much better on working out.

Hi, TrishFit!

Congrats on 54 days AF! That is a wonderful accomplishment! I'm betting your sleep will continue to improve over time. I think it just takes our bodies and minds time to repair and to settle into a new routine. I thought great sleep would be instantaneous the day I stopped drinking, and that just wasn't the case. The things I noticed immediately after quitting drinking were subtle and then continued to improve over time.

Karen