Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Has Paleo had its day?

Options

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I prefer the limited grains and added sugars diet. I go for nutrient dense foods now and have noticed that I usually feel much better. It's usually a low carb diet but I do eat some high carb veggies so it's never going to be keto. Paleo loses me at no dairy. I tend to only eat cultured dairy like cheese, yogurt, and kefir but those are desserts to me. There also isn't anything wrong with beans. I don't eat them much but I do like some lentils every once in a while.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,538 Member
    Options
    Of the two I personally like the flexibility of paleo my doc certainly did not endorse keto the question asked of my was why do you want to disrupt your heart health if you want to do anything use paleo as it has natural foods that’s what works for me. One must also be wise enough to know what you need to avoid in your food choices I dislike the word diet it’s a lifestyle change and find what works for you and don’t be afraid to sweat
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Most people who are doing paleo these days (like me) are pretty much doing it for health reasons. We like to share recipes and tips, but other than that, not gung ho about how it's the only way to be healthy. Many of the gurus have their mindset toward a more whole foods diet.

It's a decent starting point, and there's a lot more variety than one may believe (unless if you live in a food desert, which is a whole different story). But there's no need to exclude other foods if you don't have reactions to them.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    'Which is what I think has had its day. Not the general advocating of whole foods but the Paleo label and the following of supposed intake of Paleo ancestors.'

You were brave to ask this. When all of the money is raked in for the paleo gurus, when they've squeezed the last turnip and sweet potato for a buck, then it will be over.

• snowshoe072
    Options
    Well, newmeaow and snowshoe ,those things aren't really Paleo to me - they are just general whole foods.

One can eat a diet consisting mostly of whole foods without it having to be labelled as some sort of supposed semblance to our Paleo ancestors.

Which is what I think has had its day. Not the general advocating of whole foods but the Paleo label and the following of supposed intake of Paleo ancestors.

• snowshoe072
    Options
    Well paperpudding if you read what I said it’s all about what works for you nowhere did I endorse one over the other by the why pudding is processed food
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Well paperpudding if you read what I said it’s all about what works for you nowhere did I endorse one over the other by the why pudding is processed food

Lost as to what point you are making here - yes of course it is about what works for the individual - but was talking about the Paleo label or philosophy (ie supposedly eat like Paleo ancestors did) haveing had its day - not the general mostly whole foods approach

and yes of course pudding is a processed food - and??

My avatar and user name aren't an endorsement of anything and I never claimed to follow any particular diet myself

• Diatonic12
    Options
    Paleo people did not have zoodles, cauli-rice, cauli-crust, paleo fruit and meat bars, purified water, sparkling water sodas, coconut oil and coconut water, BPC....
    They existed on insects, rodents, offal = organ meats, wildgame, fish when the lakes and rivers were not completely frozen over and even some legumes, grains, marsh grasses.

There was no such thing as one diet for Paleolithic man - flexibility was key to surviving the elements. Paleo man rarely made it to the age of 40 and many of the children died by the age of 15. Paleo mummies have atherosclerosis. Heart disease was around for Paleo people groups.

Modern day Paleo man argues that you can't eat grains or legumes because they have anti-nutrients. But all plants and other foods contain some level of anti-nutrients. Lectins are found in legumes and grains, vegetables, nuts, seeds, spices, herbs and fruits.

I could give two hoots about the modern day version of Paleo, primal and all of the rest of the corresponding protocols. Those gurus have made out like bandits - hauling all of their loot to the bank by whopping boatloads in armored vehicles. Ground turkey or ground chicken bobbles spread upon a pristine bed of kale or spinach with a pretty sauce swirled around the top doesn't move me.

Paleo won't be over until all of the loot is gathered into the coffers.

• Diatonic12
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Well, newmeaow and snowshoe ,those things aren't really Paleo to me - they are just general whole foods.

One can eat a diet consisting mostly of whole foods without it having to be labelled as some sort of supposed semblance to our Paleo ancestors.

Which is what I think has had its day. Not the general advocating of whole foods but the Paleo label and the following of supposed intake of Paleo ancestors.

You miss MFP's old Paleo dog piles don't you?

The brain on food is a good thing but if any particular food protocol could heal mental illness we could shut the doors of every medical facility that's currently treating patients for everything from depression to dissociative identity disorder.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

You miss MFP's old Paleo dog piles don't you?

The brain on food is a good thing but if any particular food protocol could heal mental illness we could shut the doors of every medical facility that's currently treating patients for everything from depression to dissociative identity disorder.

I would say no.

There is no one pharmaceutical cure for any diseases that I can think of, so even if food can help heal illnesses it may not be a cure, nor will it work for everyone.