What was your "moment" that pushed you to begin your weight loss journey?

Options
13»

Replies

• cdojko4931
    cdojko4931 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a yo yo dieter for as long as I can remember. But this past year has been a real eye opener for me. I lost my oldest sister to cirrhosis of the liver a year ago in June and my other sister in February- cirrhosis as well. I had some tests done and found I have fatty liver and some hardening of the liver and was told to go on a “low carb” diet. I’ve been working on it since February- hit and miss, guessing and trying to learn. I have currently lost 39 pounds. Still have a ways to go, but making progress and gaining knowledge along the way - at least not going pounds! I saw a nutritionist and she set me up with this app. Very inspiring seeing some of the posts!
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey is a long one. Chubby since childhood, I hit my highest weight of 278 in 2007. Went on multiple medications for high BP, high choles., metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. Yo yo'd for almost a decade. In Jan. 2016 I had had enough, and via my employer, I was able to join "The Biggest Winner" fitness group; a spin off of the TV show, "The Biggest Loser." I guess that was the "a ha" moment that January. I walked/jogged a 5k that spring, and now I'm proud to say I work out 6 days a week and I'm down to 215! I have worked hard on trying to view this as my new lifestyle and not a temporary diet. Good luck to all of you in your journeys!!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was not unhappy at my weight but the last few years my blood pressure has started to rise and I was in the pre hypertension area. I didn't really realize my weight had gotten up so high. I am still not sure how I didn't see this. But my Dr. Has wanted my BP a little lower. I tried to reduce salt and caffeine and began walking daily. For the full year I did this but It only helped slightly.

A new gym opened here and they had an amazing membership deal. I could not think of any excuse not to join. I tried to find one but could not. I joined and tried zumba and kind of enjoyed it. I looked forward to going actually. Then I tried bodypump and bootcamp classes. I even started the c25k program. (Graduate Jan 22/2018)

My knees started to hurt. Well duh...of course they would hauling that fat as$ of mine around!! It just hit me one day that I was doing all this hard work exercising anyway. If I ate better perhaps I could get some weight off. I am currentky 2 lbs from goal.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Over the past several years, I struggled with gaining weight each winter and losing it in the spring/summer/fall. Then 2 years in a row, I didn't lose the extra 10, so I was 20 lbs heavier. I was smoking, too (an off-again, on-again smoker for about 10 years over the past 2 decades). For the first winter ever, I had given up jogging through the season--3-4 months with no exercise. Then I got a blood clot after a long road trip in late March, and realized I absolutely cannot enter my senior years with these awful habits and extra weight. I want to continue to be active, to travel, and to enjoy the next 20 years as best as I can. A healthy body is essential to living that goal.

I do feel like a lot of things have "clicked" this time around. I make every decision about my health with the question, is this sustainable? I know some things that have made me fail before (eating chicken, among others. I hate it.) I have learned from MFP that I was probably not netting 1200 cals each time I tried to lose before, so after losing 20-30 lbs, I'd give up and regain, having been too hungry and not feeling great while losing in that unhealthy way--undereating and over exercising.

I have quit thinking about "how long this is going to take," and feel pretty good all the time--only about 7 weeks in but feeling very positive after some early frustration. So thankful I found this site, b/c it is really helping me stay motivated and informed.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So many for me coming together in a short time frame. A bloody awful miscarriage, a fit person I respect telling me I would feel better if I just got the weight off, several awful photographs, my mother laughing when I told her my dream of owning a hiking/camping/outdoor store because “ you can’t even hike!”
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just feeling bloated. I also quit smoking---cold turkey at the same time. Today is day #51!!!!!!!!
  • GloriaE2016
    GloriaE2016 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Early this spring I decided to try on my summer clothes. I knew I had gained weight but didn't think it was too bad. I only had 2-3 shirts that actually looked half decent, the rest made me look like an over stuffed sausage :( I decided that was it, I was not going to buy another new set of clothes. We are adopting so I didn't want to spend the money!
  • dedkev
    dedkev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of these. I got winded from going up 3 flights of stairs at work, so I quit smoking, put on some weight afterwards, but realized not fitting into XXLs was more than just a quitting-smoking-weight-gain excuse it was a lifestyle excuse.
  • ajward1975
    ajward1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda pop for Lent this spring and actually started going to mass every Sunday. I lost 7 pounds during Lent and then we had a weight loss challenge at work that started on April 2nd. Starting weight = 342.6, as of this morning, current weight 280.8. Lots more energy and no more getting winded walking up a flight of stairs!
    Good luck to everyone here!! Remember its a marathon, not a sprint!!
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Being "obese." Vanity. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law lost a lot of weight, though on a faddish diet (Scarsdale as opposed to the peanut butter diet or whatever else is out there). They inspired me to try, and then compliments & feeling more energetic kept that going.

Being 45 and realizing, it's not going to get easier.
  • drbeanie2000
    Options
    I've noticed for a while that my clothes were getting tighter, I was having more problems with my back and knees. Everyone laughed because at 24, I shouldn't be having those problems. But I was. On Thursday, I convinced my mom to go to a local weight watchers meeting and I promised her I would go with her. I got on that scale and seeing my weight was...terrifying. I was getting lazy and at over 250 pounds, I could easily see myself getting to 300 or more. I didn't want that. So something had to change and I had to be the one to change it.

Congrats on finding this out at 24 - lots don't get to this point til their 40s, 50s, 60s - then they wish they'd started when they were in their 20s!
  • drbeanie2000
    Options
    cdojko4931 wrote: »
    I have been a yo yo dieter for as long as I can remember. But this past year has been a real eye opener for me. I lost my oldest sister to cirrhosis of the liver a year ago in June and my other sister in February- cirrhosis as well. I had some tests done and found I have fatty liver and some hardening of the liver and was told to go on a “low carb” diet. I’ve been working on it since February- hit and miss, guessing and trying to learn. I have currently lost 39 pounds. Still have a ways to go, but making progress and gaining knowledge along the way - at least not going pounds! I saw a nutritionist and she set me up with this app. Very inspiring seeing some of the posts!

I'm so, so, so sorry about your sisters. How agonizing.
  • drbeanie2000
    Options
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    So many for me coming together in a short time frame. A bloody awful miscarriage, a fit person I respect telling me I would feel better if I just got the weight off, several awful photographs, my mother laughing when I told her my dream of owning a hiking/camping/outdoor store because “ you can’t even hike!”

This all sounds terrible - I feel awful for you. I hope going forward that this fitness journey/quest is something POSITIVE that can motivate you.
  • jackimartin1973
    jackimartin1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I looked at myself in a mirror. I looked like a barrel. Better yet- a keg with all the beer I have been consuming. I let myself go. I decided I didn’t want to look like a keg! I am on week two and I have lost 3 lbs so far.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A combination of things really. Yet another Judo injury and the previous knee injury never really clearing up 100%. Trying on one of my fancy dresses for a party, only to discover that it's a bit of a squeeze. Trying to buy a new swimsuit and not feeling comfortable in a bikini. Having to take the protective pads out of the hips of my bike trousers because otherwise I couldn't comfortably fit into them. Realising that my adjustable mannequin for dressmaking (uk sizes 8-16), some of my measurements put me in size 14 (as opposed to the size 10-12 I always think of myself being)

But the thing that really sent the red flag was not being able to wear my mum's vintage motorbike jacket because I couldn't zip it up. My mum has always been just a little bit bigger than me, but now I'm bigger than her. That made me take notice, but the real "aha" moment was when I bought a new set of bras, and I had gone up a cup size. And I was horrified. And suddenly it made sense that my tops were that little bit tight across the chest, I was starting to get gaps in my button ups across the bust. It suddenly made sense that I did wear certain clothes anymore because I didn't feel like I looked that good in them, because they were too tight. It was the realisation that it wasn't just my belly, it was everywhere.
  • Runariel
    Runariel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Office life, stress and sedentarism caused ongoing anxiety and depression. I started to work out to help clear my mind and improve my self image.
  • uucee
    uucee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took part in a three-peak challenge with work colleagues. All others came down from the first mountain, had lunch and headed off for the rest of the challenge while I was still struggling to come down from the first one. I only managed to go half-way on the 2nd mountain and had to watch others return from the peak of the last mountain. I have lost over 40kg since then, done lots of hiking and multi-peak challenges and completing lots of long distance cycle rides (50-100 miles rides) and regular 5/10k runs. I still have some 10kg to get to my ideal weight - but this last bit seems to be the hard part, as I am not ready to starve just to lose weight. I am just happy with the level of fitness and mobility that I have achieved for myself so far.