Extremely bony upper chest, really hate it.

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I make use of these "form tips" and "queues" and I do okay for an old man on the bench! A lot better than before I started using these queues and tips. Anyway, have at it! Don't be afraid of the Smith Machines. No - not really idea! But, def better than not doing it!!!!! :-) Have fun! Enjoy!
  • PlaceboFX
    PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I actually don't do flies too often because they're a little uncomfortable. I've done them on a bench and on the floor, and definitely prefer the floor. But I get sore in my armpits even after just bench presses! I think I've gotta really work on my form.
    I haven't really considered how wide to have my grip!
    Well, today I'm working my chest, so I'll try the Smith machine and see if maybe I feel it in my chest a little more. Thank you sooo so much for your advice! I'll beat this bony chest once and for all! 😜

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have the same kind of issue - my body just chooses to pull fat from my upper body, so I have a tendency to develop very visible ribs and sternum when I drop fat.

Bench, bench, bench. Depending on your program, it probably wouldn't hurt to do several variants over the course of the week (Smith, barbell, dumbbell, etc.)

Also, investing in a set of microplates is a fantastic idea, especially if your gym doesn't have 2.5lb plates. (Even if they do, at a certain point, using two of those and jumping 5lb starts to get difficult). I just carry them around with me in my gym bag.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You are most welcome. Glad to help!

With the smith machine bench press, it is really easy to start the movement with the bar "too high". Meaning, that the bar is almost at your neck! As I like to say, "No bueno!".

The bar should be right in the middle of your chest (if you were not a woman I would say right in line with your nipples, but you are, so I will not say that). Find what feels best to you (we are all a little bit different). And, I would encourage you to just use the bar at first to get situated (those dang benches - the ones where you can adjust both the back part and the butt part - can feel awkward if not perfectly flat) and to do a few practice movements.

What I find most helpful (and I do not want to lay too much on you all at once) is to use the queue that you are not really pushing the bar up, you are actually pushing your back through the bench down towards the floor. It is funny how these little things can make HUGE differences.

Anyway, I am rambling at this point.....enjoy and kick *kitten*!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,015 Member
    Options
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    I actually don't do flies too often because they're a little uncomfortable. I've done them on a bench and on the floor, and definitely prefer the floor. But I get sore in my armpits even after just bench presses! I think I've gotta really work on my form.
    I haven't really considered how wide to have my grip!
    Well, today I'm working my chest, so I'll try the Smith machine and see if maybe I feel it in my chest a little more. Thank you sooo so much for your advice! I'll beat this bony chest once and for all! 😜

I use dumbbells for flies and chest press. I use much less weight for flies - maybe they are uncomfortable for you because you are starting with too much weight?

Also, you can't get a full range of motion on the floor - there's not enough room for your elbows.

Flat-Bench-Flyes-With-Dumbbells.jpg
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed that when I lose weight my sternum is very prominent but as I maintain it kind of disappears. Almost like my body fat re-distributes more evenly when my weight is stable. You and I have almost the exact same stats! I’m also female, 24, 5’ 9” and have lost 50 in the last year ( a little longer). But I’m stuck maintaining between 150-155 for the last 5 months and I’m trying to get to 140. Would you be willing to share what your diet/calories and exercise routine look like?

Very general comment.....

Someone else's diet | caloric intake will not likely do you (or anyone else, for that matter) any good. Everyone is different and two people with the exact same stats may have very different macros (let's just call it that). I am sure you are just looking to compare, but lots of people (and not counting you in that group) copy someone else's stuff (which is almost never a good idea).

Now, you stated that you have been stuck for the last five months. Have you looked at a Diet Break? For a few days or even for a week? Or, have you added "Re-feed" days (two consecutive days)?

You might want to investigate those two ideas and see if that makes sense for you. Essentially, both are as much mental breaks as physical.

You’re right, I was just curious to know what someone else with similar stats would have as their caloric intake. Also, I believe I’ve been stuck because these last 5 months have pretty much been a diet break :P I haven’t been able to consistently stick to a calorie deficit, which is also why I was curious about the OP’s calories, to have another example of what someone with stats similar to mine would have to maintain at nearly my goal weight. Thanks for your insights :)

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    I’ve noticed that when I lose weight my sternum is very prominent but as I maintain it kind of disappears. Almost like my body fat re-distributes more evenly when my weight is stable. You and I have almost the exact same stats! I’m also female, 24, 5’ 9” and have lost 50 in the last year ( a little longer). But I’m stuck maintaining between 150-155 for the last 5 months and I’m trying to get to 140. Would you be willing to share what your diet/calories and exercise routine look like?

Someone else's diet | caloric intake will not likely do you (or anyone else, for that matter) any good. Everyone is different and two people with the exact same stats may have very different macros (let's just call it that). I am sure you are just looking to compare, but lots of people (and not counting you in that group) copy someone else's stuff (which is almost never a good idea).

Now, you stated that you have been stuck for the last five months. Have you looked at a Diet Break? For a few days or even for a week? Or, have you added "Re-feed" days (two consecutive days)?

You might want to investigate those two ideas and see if that makes sense for you. Essentially, both are as much mental breaks as physical.

You’re right, I was just curious to know what someone else with similar stats would have as their caloric intake. Also, I believe I’ve been stuck because these last 5 months have pretty much been a diet break :P I haven’t been able to consistently stick to a calorie deficit, which is also why I was curious about the OP’s calories, to have another example of what someone with stats similar to mine would have to maintain at nearly my goal weight. Thanks for your insights :)

Ah, ha! Consistency! Awesome when you can find it......sucks when you lose it! Okay....and thank you for not being offended by my comments. I was truly coming from a good place when I asked these questions. I see all the time people trying to copy someone else's caloric intake | macros with no other reason that "just because....she looks great! I want to look great, too!". Anyway, seems like you have a very firm grasp on that....

I truly hope that these last five months have been super enjoyable (referencing life....) and that you are able to get down to your target weight (range) as quickly and as safely as possible!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I have the same kind of issue - my body just chooses to pull fat from my upper body, so I have a tendency to develop very visible ribs and sternum when I drop fat.

Bench, bench, bench. Depending on your program, it probably wouldn't hurt to do several variants over the course of the week (Smith, barbell, dumbbell, etc.)

Also, investing in a set of microplates is a fantastic idea, especially if your gym doesn't have 2.5lb plates. (Even if they do, at a certain point, using two of those and jumping 5lb starts to get difficult). I just carry them around with me in my gym bag.

She, as I do, does her training at Planet Fitness. They have a *kitten*ton of 2.5lbs plates! :-)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

She, as I do, does her training at Planet Fitness. They have a *kitten*ton of 2.5lbs plates! :-)

I still find that having 1lb and 1.25lb plates is really helpful. I struggled for a long time with being able to do, say, 5-6 reps at a certain weight but only being able to do 1 or 2 reps when I went up by 5lbs. My microplates just gave me a lot more flexibility.
  • mariececilia10
    Options

Ah, ha! Consistency! Awesome when you can find it......sucks when you lose it! Okay....and thank you for not being offended by my comments. I was truly coming from a good place when I asked these questions. I see all the time people trying to copy someone else's caloric intake | macros with no other reason that "just because....she looks great! I want to look great, too!". Anyway, seems like you have a very firm grasp on that....

I truly hope that these last five months have been super enjoyable (referencing life....) and that you are able to get down to your target weight (range) as quickly and as safely as possible!

Thanks so much for your comments! Good luck to you on your journey as well, whatever the stage!
  • PlaceboFX
    PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Oh man, I'd tell you if I could! But my weight loss was nowhere near linear. There were periods I was eating 1200 calories a day or less (do NOT recommend), I did intermittent fasting for a time, briefly tried keto, etc.
    I can tell you the best thing I ever did for my fitness though was to start lifting more than I do cardio. Adding muscle tone to my body made such a huge difference, AND increased my metabolism.
    I now work a very active job 3 days a week on a small ranch, so I've fallen off the gym wagon lately, but I'm gonna start going back and try to put on more muscle.
    And right now I'm eating about 1800 calories on my days off, and about 2400 on work days. Just a bit below maintenance, but I'm gonna probably increase soon to slightly above maintenance to help with my lifting.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

I still find that having 1lb and 1.25lb plates is really helpful. I struggled for a long time with being able to do, say, 5-6 reps at a certain weight but only being able to do 1 or 2 reps when I went up by 5lbs. My microplates just gave me a lot more flexibility.

My bad. You are absolutely correct. I somehow missed that....yes, going up in smaller increments is tough if the smallest increment is 5lbs.
  • mariececilia10
    Options
    PlaceboFX wrote: »

Oh man, I'd tell you if I could! But my weight loss was nowhere near linear. There were periods I was eating 1200 calories a day or less (do NOT recommend), I did intermittent fasting for a time, briefly tried keto, etc.
    I can tell you the best thing I ever did for my fitness though was to start lifting more than I do cardio. Adding muscle tone to my body made such a huge difference, AND increased my metabolism.
    I now work a very active job 3 days a week on a small ranch, so I've fallen off the gym wagon lately, but I'm gonna start going back and try to put on more muscle.
    And right now I'm eating about 1800 calories on my days off, and about 2400 on work days. Just a bit below maintenance, but I'm gonna probably increase soon to slightly above maintenance to help with my lifting.

Thanks for sharing! It helps seeing that someone else’s numbers are in that range. I can’t help thinking it’s not possible to lose netting 1600-1800 as a female since it seems like most posts I see from women losing are around 1200-1400. It’s hard for me to believe the difference in height/activity level can make such a difference!