Do you eat your vegetables?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    I do enjoy some veg. I will generally have mine cooked in butter with salt and pepper - fav has to be mushrooms.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I eat more fruit than veggies but eat about the same amount of fruit/veggies combned when compared w/protein based on grams/cals.

The mscros are on average 38C/33P/29F. I get very few carbs from starches/grains; mostly fruit and veggies. It's a well balanced diet IMO.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Yes, because I love to eat veggies.
  • j_gibbs
    j_gibbs Posts: 7 Member
    Vegetable and fruit intake are on the level of protein intake in terms of my nutrition priorities. I aim for 800 grams per day, with a focus on brassicas, green leafies, berries, and citrus. I'm not terribly strict, but I'm in the habit of including something every time I eat, even if it's just a couple of strawberries when I want some chocolate for a treat. Protein definitely keeps me full, satisfied, and recovering quicker from hard training sessions, but focusing more on vegetables and fruits has helped build a nutrition habit that feels really positive and sustainable. I didn't expect it to feel so great, so I'm very pleased.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'm gonna die because what I eat isn't classified as a vegetable (fruits, tubers, grains, and leaves).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I tend to eat the food I buy. Otherwise it would be wasteful.
  • zila1397
    zila1397 Posts: 311 Member
    Yes, I eat vegetables every day.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    The easiest thing for me to sustain is to not try to plan all my meals down to separate components (for the most part). I keep several types of protein on hand, and also a standard, but regularly rotating, set of veggies. Most of what I eat consists of stir-fry meals where I pick a protein and a range of veggies. Just saute it all up in one pan.

For example, I might have oxtail with chard, mushrooms, red cabbage, and carrots. Or maybe zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion and a few eggs and/or ground beef/bison/lamb.

I'll also make a point to have several large salads each week, especially if I eat something like what ended up in the pan last night, a green curry snapper. Lots of broccoli in the pan, but lighter on overall veg than most meals. Salads are equally easy. Get a greens mix (love the ones with kale/chard), dice up some cucumbers and peppers to toss in, and find a dressing that works for you.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I'll shove vegetables into everything I can. Today for lunch i had salad leaves, cucumber tomato and spring onion with sweet potato peppers and onion. breakfast had sultanas in and i'll have two pieces of fruit this afternoon. This evening dinner is couscous with sprint onion peas and asparagus and apricots in. Vegetables and fruits taste amazing and give some much good stuff to us. Eat the rainbow deff applies to me!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Yes - dinner is mostly vegetables (usually whatever is in season) with a bit of protein.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I normally do not have vegetables with my breakfast unless they are in my egg bites when I eat those.

Lunch is normally a salad with lots of vegetables.

Dinner almost always has a vegetables of some sort, but it depends on what I am having. Sometimes they are mixed into the main (like with my tacos or curry) or on the side.

I don't think I get quite enough, but that is because I focus on protein and fat because it keeps me fuller longer.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I have vegetables (well, technically fruits and vegetables) with every meal and snack, it's just how I eat. I even have them after snacks and sweets as a palate cleanser :smiley:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yep, I eat a lot of veggies. I keep raw carrots, celery, bell peppers, radishes, cucumbers, jicama prepped for snacking. Low calorie, lots of chewing satisfaction. I also have them as about 1/2 of my lunch and dinner, occasionally for breakfast, mostly oven roasted or grilled. Great bang for your buck calorie wise, and good for you as well.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I try to eat vegetables with every meal. I don't tolerate them raw, so I usually steam or stir fry them. For a while it was only leafy greens and cabbage with some low starches, but now my body can handle more, so I'm going to try to be more adventurous! I Still easily go over the recommended servings for both the U.S. and U.K.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I eat lots of veggies: raw, stir - fried, baked, steamed, grilled etc. I try to stick to the "green variety" - less carbs. I also have one large plate full of mixed salad a day - with tuna or cottage cheese etc. I try to keep my carbs under 100 gram a day which is just about possible with all the veggies and salads.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Honestly I should be eating more. I really don't eat enough come to think of it..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2018
    All the time -- I'm in love with vegetables. Today I'll have jicama, cilantro, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, onion, corn, red bell pepper, shiitake mushrooms, and garlic. If I'm feeling hungry before dinner, I'll throw in a big green salad.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    When I upped my protein, I also slacked way off on the vegetables. My solution is not what the purist would do, but I do not log the raw vegetables I eat. They are mainly fiber and not absorbed. It's more mental for me, but I need to eat the raw veggies and the mind game it played having to log over 100 calories on them was just too much. So I stopped logging them. I also eat some type of "cooked" (usually frozen) veggies (around 85 g) with two of my three meals plus the raw I do during the day.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'll be the odd one out: nope. I lost 80 pounds with very few vegetables and no salads to speak of. I'll eat them when they are offered to me--they can be tasty--but with the exceptions of onions and mushrooms with my egg white omelettes, they are not a part of my daily diet.

Edit: PS- My lack of vegetables is mostly because of ensuring I'm getting enough protein within my daily caloric intake, OP--I understand completely. And, I cannot abide pea protein, so...
  • heidimusey
    heidimusey Posts: 3 Member
    Not as much as I should