June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless i know a lot of people in my runners world streak group really enjoy the run fast east slow cookbook. i believe it is all vegetarian

Its a decent cook book but not vegetarian. :wink:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless i know a lot of people in my runners world streak group really enjoy the run fast east slow cookbook. i believe it is all vegetarian

@mbaker566 Thanks! I will check it out. I love trying out new recipes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Its a decent cook book but not vegetarian. :wink:

good to know. everyone was posting veggie recipes so i thought that's all that was in there. i use the runners world cookbook. love that one. but not veg.
    oh but thug kitchen is. and my FIL loves their recipes and he is a fancy recipe man and not veg at heart.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    @amymoreorless Maybe I'm not the best example, as I'm not a marathoner, or the speediest or most consistent runner, but I've been "officially" ova-lacto for about 7 years, then played around with veganism for a few years before going fully plant based earlier this year.

Worked with a nutritionist who had me on a high protein (97-110g/day), low carb (110g work out days/60g non-work out days!) plan. I wasn't happy, hungry, never satisfied. I was "sneaking" in cheese (WI born & raised!) & other food so I was gaining weight. After doing my own research, decided to give the HCLF way a try, and whaddya know, it seems to work for me! I try to aim as close to the 80/10/10 as poss, knowing that I'm human & life happens. But I have been losing & energy levels are up. There is (are?) plenty of other vegan athlete resources: Rich Roll, Scott Jurek, Fiona Oakes, "Meat Free Athlete", one of the Williams sisters is veeg, Charlie Jabaley, to name a few.

Good luck to you!!

@dreamer12151 Thanks for the insight! I can’t do high protein, low carb either. I tried it once and felt terrible. It sucked the energy right out of me. I do know people who swear by a low carb, high fat diet. It’s just not for me. It’s amazing how everyone’s body is different.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - I did not catch all of the conversation on the earbuds, but I wanted to chime in because I have super small ears and small size is my number one requirement for purchase. My wired headphones are Yurbuds and they work fine for me with the smallest covers. My husband recently bought me wireless jaybirds for Christmas. He did a lot of research to determine which ones would work best for my small ears. I have to say, I do not love them. They are still a little bigger than I would like and the sound quality is not as good as my Yurbuds, but maybe that is the price I have to pay for wireless. I would definitely recommend trying some on before you buy them if you are able to.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Hope it goes well on the negotiations and house purchase.
    For me it seems strange that those items weren't done during construction - since they are mandatory in Canadian Building/Electrical codes and have been for quite a while - 15/20 years at least and quite a few insurance companies now insist on proof of them.

With attached garages I always install Fire/CO detectors that are linked to the ones in the living area so if some thing happens in the garage it then sets off the ones in the house. I have friends in the local fire departments and every year they have a garage fire or a car with a faulty remote start that fills the garage and house with CO that causes fatalities in the house. The fire fighters say it's really hard mentally to go into a house and find a family in their beds with not a mark on them and no smoke in the house and they know that if there had been working detectors they would have been alerted and got out of the house and called the FD.

Did the house have GFI's in the bathrooms and Laundry area? In my house any place there was a chance of water and electrical interacting I pulled the old plugs and installed GFI's, including all the exterior outlets. It's such a cheap safety feature since you only need a GFI on the first outlet in a circuit and it will then protect all the outlets feeding through it. The one's in the bathroom I found a GFI that had a built in LED Night lite that is a great feature.

The house was built in 1960, before these things were standard. So if the house was built like yesterday, current codes would require it, but there are no "go retrofit your house" laws.

There are no GFCIs anywhere in the house which is not surprising given the age. Whenever I put new plugs in, I only use GFCIs. It is overkill, but the cost is not that much different and it adds a level of protection.

There are smoke detectors, not sure about carbon monoxide ones.

The garage is very unlikely to have a car in it. It will be more of an attached shed. :lol:

I agree on protection with GFI. As for smoke detectors, there is something in my state where you can get a credit on property taxes for your primary residence as long as it has smoke detectors. There are very specific requirements about the type and location of smoke detectors, but no inspection. Most people just sign the form saying they have the type of detectors at the required locations. When I bought my house, they had the wrong types of smoke detectors and they were not installed at all of the proper locations. So I made sure to buy the right kinds and put them in the right places. It makes my house safer and I'm actually following the law, despite that nobody would probably know if I just signed the form like everybody else.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso - I did not catch all of the conversation on the earbuds, but I wanted to chime in because I have super small ears and small size is my number one requirement for purchase. My wired headphones are Yurbuds and they work fine for me with the smallest covers. My husband recently bought me wireless jaybirds for Christmas. He did a lot of research to determine which ones would work best for my small ears. I have to say, I do not love them. They are still a little bigger than I would like and the sound quality is not as good as my Yurbuds, but maybe that is the price I have to pay for wireless. I would definitely recommend trying some on before you buy them if you are able to.

I am going to go try a few out in the next couple of weeks. I am willing to pay more for them but I need to make sure they will stay in. I think Yurbud has wireless but not in the women's style which makes me hesitate since I am the smallest size of the women's.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

mbaker566 Thanks! I will check it out. I love trying out new recipes.

@amymoreorless I have a vegetarian cookbook by Tal Ronnan thats vegetarian (I'm almost positive). It has some really great recipes. Ive never made anything out of it and ive had it probably 10 years. We live in an area where you just cant get half the ingredients.

It's just taking up space in my small dining room floor. If you want me to send it to you, I sure don't mind finding it a good home. Pm me your address if you want it. I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

@mbaker566 i have the RW cookbook too. Its my absolute fav. And i think racing weights cookbook too. Oh I'd have to look. I'm spoiled (odd, my
    phone suggest the next word as "fat".. thanks phone/google/Samsung) well I'm spoiled (fat) :neutral: on one pot meals in the ip right now.

Edited- because my fingers are stupid fat today

@Elise4270 Really? You are awesome-sauce! PM sent
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    6/1 - scheduled rest
    6/2 - 10.10 km
    6/3 - 1.62 km
    6/4 - 5.10 km
    6/5 - feh
    6/6 - 5.44 km
    6/7 to 6/11 - Nada
    6/12 - 1.89 + 2.01 km
    6/14 - 9.60 km
    6/15 - 6/19 - sick
    6/20 - 4.61 hm
    6/21 - walk
    6/22 - 4.05 km
    6/23 - 2.01 km
    6/24 - 11.23 km forgot to stop my Garmin so it includes the spray park beside the finish line!
    6/25 - rest, hot, stormish
    6/26 - 5.01 km
    6/27 - 3.71 km

66.38/120 km not gonna make goal this month!

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish waiting for timing website to update & forgot to stop my watch
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon)
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

didn't watch all of your video, but very cool. in ~60 seconds, caught 3 boys going on a "fun run" and then 3 or 4 clicks later clicking through was impressed that each time you were commenting and talking and last click was referencing advise given on slowing down to have a conversation and in this case, you were proving you were at a pace that allowed that to easily provide commentary as you ran. Nice job!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen Thanks! So far it's been a fun experiment, recording and talking while I run!

@amymoreorless Truth.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I sat down last night and planned my half marathon training. Given the half is 7 weeks out I will be starting on week 6 of the plan (next week) but the mileage is roughly equivalent to before I got sick so I think I'm good.

I would like to not die, haha.

Wouldn't we all????!!!!! LOL

And again - the ticker sure seems to take a long time to "cache" up. Good grief.

exercise.png