Support that Doesn't Focus on Challenges but on Relationship

Options
I've been here for several years and been a part of several groups that I really enjoyed but eventually they became almost completely focused on Challenges. There is nothing wrong with challenges, if they work for you, but they don't work for me. My focus needs to be on accountability not competition, and I know that those that love them probably don't think of them as competition, but I do, and then I get crazy when I'm not winning and start to do stupid stuff. So I'm looking for people who want to share their lives, their struggles and their victories, strategies, whatever, just no challenges! So, if that sounds good to you, come on in and lets chat and support! Just introduce yourself and we'll go from there!

Hi I'm Holly. I'm 69 and half way to 70! I have some health issues and way too much weight for health or comfort. Last fall I developed bone on bone arthritis in my knees and had to quit walking for exercise. Then my thyroid issues worsened and depression turned me into one unhappy MFPer. I have gained back the weight I lost here but thankfully I'm not back to my highest and I don't want to be!

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi Holly
  • soniabrothers901
    soniabrothers901 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m new as well.. hi my name is Sonia. I’m not looking for challenges either and would just appreciate the support of learning a new lifestyle. Food has been my best friend for way too long... haha.. so I’m starting a new relationship with the food I choose and hoping to find some real “human” friends. ☺️ I’m still learning the app but I’m religiously logging and it’s helped so far. So hello Amber and Holly... and everyone else. Nice to meet you!
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi @AmberGlitterSparkles , challenges are where for a specified time you post your weight daily/weekly etc and a goal to lose X amounts of pounds. Some people can be very motivated by seeing their efforts on these and that's great if you do, but it isn't for everyone. I have a significant amount of weight to lose as well, close to that amount and it's a journey that I would love to take with you!
    Hi @100_PROOF_
    Glad to meet you @soniabrothers901 I have the same problem with food and it's a life long problem, but I think we can be different and we can win the battle if we just friend up and support each other through all the tough spots and even the happy times because I celebrate with food too. I think we can do it!
    If you click on the star up at the top it will turn gold and then when you sign in and go to the community page you can find your way back!
  • soniabrothers901
    soniabrothers901 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ty for the help.. the app is a little different and I get lost easily. And I agree... I feel that some times my friends are tired of my impromptu cooking lessons, but I get really excited when I make something from scratch and it actually tastes good! Haha. My last success in the kitchen was chicken soup without using any chicken bullion. I was very pleased.
    I started my journey on May 1st at 230 lbs and the my fitness pal has helped me tremendously to keep my nutrients balance. So far I’m down about 15 lbs. so I’m relieved that I finally found something that is working for me. My focus is now on Whole Foods but no wheat. And no dairy. And to an app that. But in all honesty I’m trying to lower my cholesterol. And I guess losing the weight is a side effect of that achievement.... 🤣
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @soniabrothers901, I'm right there with you. I love to cook and I love to cook for my friends and family, but no one complains because they all love it. I love making things from scratch and I've loved learning to make fresh whole foods that really satisfy my expansive palette! I use a Garmin tracker and when I used it and kept a daily food diary so that I could clearly see where my calories got spent, I lost 40 pounds fairly smoothly. People always wanted to know how I was doing it and I would tell them, it's simple but that doesn't mean easy. Track calories and expend more calories than you consume in a weeks time. I'm getting a severe testing in just how hard that is when you can no longer do your exercise thing. I'm still in the tantrum phase, refusing to make myself do the things I need to do to expend calories and eating whatever I want to. It's stupid, it's ridiculous but it's where I am and no one can change that but me. I think you're doing a great job! Keep it up girl and inspire the heck out of me!

@AmberGlitterSparkles, I love that name by the way! I come from a long line of great cooks and I can't even imagine how fat I would be if I had professional chefs teaching me! And I hear you about what your dad said that got into your head. I loved my daddy dearly, he was so affectionate and loving, but he liked the dinner conversation to be sparse, it was his first time of the day to really relax, so he used to tell me, "Be quiet and eat your bread." Unfortunately I learned to do both. I grew up very quiet and loving bread. I should have talked more and ate less! Also, my mom was emotionally unstable and I was a battered child. She was not affectionate or loving, except she loved to cook and have people enjoy her food. It was the way she loved me and so I have an unhealthy relationship with food. Sadly I love to love my peeps with food too.

@Mari22na, I love your way of thinking and communicating. Music and dancing, well the dancing part is not easy for me now but maybe in time and I love music so I will try that to engage my brain and hopefully steer it away from food. I love the old west. I'm a traveler for sure. I call myself a gypsy.
    Time to throw my feet up and relax, so everyone have a great evening and it was great hearing from you!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @campfirequeen1
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be in the backcountry for awhile, finally ready to go but I will be back.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    My bags are packed and I'm ready to gooooo. So long, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuVJEn9wk9Y[/url]
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hey, there is a thread called JUST FOR TODAY .. one day at a time.. daily commitment thread 2018.

We as a group follow the same principle you’re looking for.

However, we do do monthly challenges, but these aren’t strict, totally voluntary and we use the same principle of sharing our emotions and lives and how even that affected a challenge

And the “challenges” run for a month, we tend to do it to build a healthy habit really

For example, April was to drink 8 cups of water a day, did I do it every day? Hell no. But from someone who used to drink about 1-2 cups a day I now drink 8 without having to try?
    Does that make sense, I built a habit based on the challenge!

It’s up to you! Come check it out see if you want to do it!

The June challenge didn’t apply to me much so I didn’t take part etc .

But it’s mostly support in the way you’re looking for, the challenge is just a side thing that keeps us going when everything seems a bit “every day the same”
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @Bex953172 Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't object to challenges that build good habits, but I'm not interested in weight loss challenges. I need to reestablish a water habit, as it has gone by the wayside. And I'm sure there are other habits I need to reestablish too!

@Mari22na Loved that video and hope you have a great trip! Y'all come on back now! LOL
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Today was a physical therapy day and as usual it left me in pain, but I am getting stronger and they are now adding new things and more weight so I know that I'm progressing! My next hurtle is to get myself to the Y and start pool exercise. I wish I could say it sounds good but truthfully, even though I know I will love it, once I'm there, I'm so resistant to even getting in the car that I know it's going to be a real fight for me. I wish I knew why I feel this way, it makes me crazy to even try to think about it. It doesn't make sense that I have such a dread of even going there.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Today was a physical therapy day and as usual it left me in pain, but I am getting stronger and they are now adding new things and more weight so I know that I'm progressing! My next hurtle is to get myself to the Y and start pool exercise. I wish I could say it sounds good but truthfully, even though I know I will love it, once I'm there, I'm so resistant to even getting in the car that I know it's going to be a real fight for me. I wish I knew why I feel this way, it makes me crazy to even try to think about it. It doesn't make sense that I have such a dread of even going there.

It’s just your mind telling you that!

Best thing to do, is write it down, how you are feeling, that your anxious to go, you’re worried about X Y and Z. And then the hard part.. GO.

And then come back, read over what it was that was worrying you and see if any of them were true!
    And most of them will be false thoughts! Or some may be not quite what you thought.

Truth being, you can’t possibly *know* until you go, but your mind is telling you all these things that could/would happen. Yet how could your mind possibly know what it will be like!

You can do this!
    Just keep telling yourself that!

It’s great that your physio is progressing too!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Thanks @Bex953172 those are good ideas. I set two goals for myself today and I'm happy to report I have accomplished them. One was contact my insurance provider to check on my Silver Sneakers program to be sure it was still available under my program and it is!!!! The other was to look up the Y schedule and make some plans for attending some water aerobics classes for Arthritis patients, and I accomplished that!!! So now I can just focus on that one hardest step, the one out the door!
    I'm feeling so much more hopeful today! I hope everyone is having a great day along with me!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    It's a bright sunny day and not as humid as it has been recently. I think it's a great day to go to the outdoor pool at the Y and at least get in the water and move. No classes today. Where is everyone? What are your plans for the weekend?
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Hey @Bex953172 I have checked out the Just for Today thread twice in the past two days and remembered that I have tried that thread before and it just makes me crazy trying to keep up. I'm just not a "sort of" kind of person, when I'm in, I'm in whole heartedly and 7 page additions is just too much time sitting in front of the puter for me. I sit too much as it is. I would agree it is a nice group and they seem to be very supportive but just way too much for me to keep up with and so I won't stick with it over the long haul. :| Come here anytime you like because I definitely like your company! Did you get the LAUNDRY done? LOL
  • luv2walk84
    luv2walk84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am glad you started this thread... I feel that some of the challenges I have seen out here over the years is more about ego than it is anything else! You see it all over weight loss boards though, to be fair. Every brand has their version!
    I was doing weight watcher's and found that I was seriously despriving myself of calories. I no longer was losing weight with the new program they started back in Dec. About 10 years ago I did lose 30 some pounds using the Flex program, but eventually that became 9 months of going up and down tenths of pounds but the base number never changing. Long story short, I decided to give this a try again, and hopefully it helps me.
    I have some physical limitations now days, as I am in my mid 50s, and been diagnosed with things you just dont ever plan on being diagnosed with! I swear, you turn 50, and your whole world goes to H e double toothpicks! I have lower back problems that stop me from walking, or doing any type of aerobics. Bike riding is basically it for this kid. I live in a part of the country that is sauna weather 7 -8 months out of the year, so my bike riding is hit and miss, and if my back is acting up, I dont even try. I have thyroid issues, recently diagnosed as well... still trying to get the medication right for that one!
    I am truly hoping logging my food and trying to lose weight minus the exercise part works for me. I am told once they get my synthroid on track, that may help me too...
    Hope you all have a nice weekend!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @luv2walk84 Welcome! I so understand your challenges because they are very similar to mine! It just about killed me when the orthopedic doctor said no more walking for exercise unless it's in the pool. That just isn't as satisfying but hey in this weather it is a lot cooler, so I guess I should look at the positives!
    Just for today or maybe I should say just for breakfast I made good choices and logged them. That's a great start to a habit I hope. It's amazing that just getting on here and chatting has me feeling more positive and interested in doing better. Thanks ladies for your help!
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Hey @Bex953172 I have checked out the Just for Today thread twice in the past two days and remembered that I have tried that thread before and it just makes me crazy trying to keep up. I'm just not a "sort of" kind of person, when I'm in, I'm in whole heartedly and 7 page additions is just too much time sitting in front of the puter for me. I sit too much as it is. I would agree it is a nice group and they seem to be very supportive but just way too much for me to keep up with and so I won't stick with it over the long haul. :| Come here anytime you like because I definitely like your company! Did you get the LAUNDRY done? LOL

Yeah it is a little fast paced lol. January is the worst!!
    Yeah I’ll pop back every now and then :)