starting a 6 week challenge at the gym.

Options

Replies

• PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Billy323 wrote: »
    When I first got fed up with my weight I used this website and app to lose 70 pounds. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I hit 215 pounds and I have yet to really dip far below that. I fell for one of those targeted Facebook ads for a local crossfit gym who is having a 6 week challenge. What made me choose this gym over another is the level of accountability. If I fail to hit what I consider to be a reasonable goal of losing 25 pounds I am out $500. They furnish us with a diet plan and you are required to send pictures of your weekly grocery bill so they know you are doing as you should.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in and the challenge begins June 25th. I am holding myself accountable by not purposely gaining as I enter the challenge. I am sitting at 216 which is right around the lowest I have been in a few months.

I am using this challenge as a jump start to a huge loss. At the weigh in tomorrow they will test my body fat percentage with a handheld device. They want to track lean gains along as well as weight loss. Since those devices are not known to be super accurate I got a Dex scan done today since it is the most accurate way to measure bodyfat percentage.

My results were shocking to say the least. 33.1% bodyfat.

Anyways, I will be updating this often for posterity and in case anyone was interested in what its like to be involved in one of these challenges.

One fun fact about the Dex scan. Next time I hear someone say they are "big boned" I will be able to laugh in their face. I am 5'11" and all my bones combined only weigh 7.6 pounds.

I think you may be reading or interpreting something incorrectly on your Dexa scan. I get them every couple months. Your full skeleton should weigh somewhere between 13 to 15% of your total mass. If you are 215 lbs then your skeleton should come in at around 30 lbs.

If you are going to be doing Dexa to try to keep track of fat loss and lean gains make absolutely sure your hydration level is the same every time you do it. Keep in mind this isn't easy to know exactly how hydrated you are comparing each time but the one thing that affects Dexa the most is the amount of water you have in your system or the lack of it. Also make sure you inquire with the people who own the Dexa whether or not the machine was calibrated for women or men. They will have different results if it was calibrated for a women and then you get on it to be scanned. Some places I have found out don't ever re calibrate them so those are some considerations you may want to know about.

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    When I first got fed up with my weight I used this website and app to lose 70 pounds. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I hit 215 pounds and I have yet to really dip far below that. I fell for one of those targeted Facebook ads for a local crossfit gym who is having a 6 week challenge. What made me choose this gym over another is the level of accountability. If I fail to hit what I consider to be a reasonable goal of losing 25 pounds I am out $500. They furnish us with a diet plan and you are required to send pictures of your weekly grocery bill so they know you are doing as you should.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in and the challenge begins June 25th. I am holding myself accountable by not purposely gaining as I enter the challenge. I am sitting at 216 which is right around the lowest I have been in a few months.

I am using this challenge as a jump start to a huge loss. At the weigh in tomorrow they will test my body fat percentage with a handheld device. They want to track lean gains along as well as weight loss. Since those devices are not known to be super accurate I got a Dex scan done today since it is the most accurate way to measure bodyfat percentage.

Anyways, I will be updating this often for posterity and in case anyone was interested in what its like to be involved in one of these challenges.

One fun fact about the Dex scan. Next time I hear someone say they are "big boned" I will be able to laugh in their face. I am 5'11" and all my bones combined only weigh 7.6 pounds.

I think you may be reading or interpreting something incorrectly on your Dexa scan. I get them every couple months. Your full skeleton should weigh somewhere between 13 to 15% of your total mass. If you are 215 lbs then your skeleton should come in at around 30 lbs.

If you are going to be doing Dexa to try to keep track of fat loss and lean gains make absolutely sure your hydration level is the same every time you do it. Keep in mind this isn't easy to know exactly how hydrated you are comparing each time but the one thing that affects Dexa the most is the amount of water you have in your system or the lack of it. Also make sure you inquire with the people who own the Dexa whether or not the machine was calibrated for women or men. They will have different results if it was calibrated for a women and then you get on it to be scanned. Some places I have found out don't ever re calibrate them so those are some considerations you may want to know about.

I know this is off topic but how are you able to edit your posts after the one hour mark? It is something with the app version rather than logging on from my browser?
    I was just curious because sometimes I wish to edit my posts later on ( example like if I try to make a joke and see that nobody else got it or someone took me seriously, I may want to edit much later then the one hour)
    It seems like your able to edit your posts repeatedly but yet I haven't found a way?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

I know this is off topic but how are you able to edit your posts after the one hour mark? It is something with the app version rather than logging on from my browser?
    I was just curious because sometimes I wish to edit my posts later on ( example like if I try to make a joke and see that nobody else got it or someone took me seriously, I may want to edit much later then the one hour)
    It seems like your able to edit your posts repeatedly but yet I haven't found a way?

I noticed this as well. I thought maybe it was a glitch in the forum software and I was going to start a thread about it in Feedback/Support to make sure MFP staff was aware of it, but after checking some of my own posts it seems that the standard/usual 60 minute edit window is still in place - at least for me. Weird. Maybe it only happens sometimes.

No, it's not just sometimes because I noticed it with the same user before. So I'm thinking he knows of a way to do it. Maybe he's using the app? I just recently returned to mfp but was a member back in 2011 so a lot has changed and I'm still getting the hang of the new layouts here. I'm not privy to the tricks on how to use it all properly yet.

I think a new thread about it would be a good idea though because I don't want to derail this thread and cause even more confusion. I'm just curious though because there's been many times that I really would have liked to go back and edit. ( I have an odd sense of humor lol)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Completed my first workout yesterday. It was an intense full body workout. The lack of long periods of rest between workouts turned it into a cardio session too. This is everything I hoped it would be. I think the first week will not show a huge loss on the scale as my muscles refill with glycogen that I depleted from my low calorie diet. After that weight should be falling off.

Official weigh ins are Mondays so I'll post my progress here too.

Best of luck. One can do pretty much anything for 6 weeks if they put their mind to it. Hopefully it will jumpstart your efforts to get to your desired weight and you can learn diet/techniques to stay there.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    everyone's going to the same gym

Or a bunch of gyms got scammed are scamming people.

FIFY.

Three threads about this in the last week or two. Looks like a few gyms have figured out a quick way to make some easy money.

Perhaps some gym operation industry magazine/blog/newsletter just ran a story about this great new revenue-increase strategy . . . ?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I noticed this as well. I thought maybe it was a glitch in the forum software and I was going to start a thread about it in Feedback/Support to make sure MFP staff was aware of it, but after checking some of my own posts it seems that the standard/usual 60 minute edit window is still in place - at least for me. Weird. Maybe it only happens sometimes.

No, it's not just sometimes because I noticed it with the same user before. So I'm thinking he knows of a way to do it. Maybe he's using the app? I just recently returned to mfp but was a member back in 2011 so a lot has changed and I'm still getting the hang of the new layouts here. I'm not privy to the tricks on how to use it all properly yet.

I think a new thread about it would be a good idea though because I don't want to derail this thread and cause even more confusion. I'm just curious though because there's been many times that I really would have liked to go back and edit. ( I have an odd sense of humor lol)

@100_PROOF_
    I'd jump in that thread too. I noticed the same thing from the same user in another thread and asked the same question with no answer. If that thread has been started, can someone point me in the general direction?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

@100_PROOF_
    I'd jump in that thread too. I noticed the same thing from the same user in another thread and asked the same question with no answer. If that thread has been started, can someone point me in the general direction?

Here's another thread, but it is currently closed with no reason: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10678064/drop-20lbs-or-6-of-fat-in-6-weeks#latest

I don't see why threads asking "should I do a VLCD?" in which everybody says "No" would be closed - no one is advocating a VLCD.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Gahh. Typed out a reply and the app ate it. 😂

First weigh in of the challenge was yesterday. I'm down 5 pounds. On my own I'm tracking measurements and am down 4" neck/chest/waist/hips. People are already noticing the changes.

I'm starting to look forward to the workouts and we get pushed harder every day. The coaches are finding weak areas in my movements and are working directly with my to correct them. My left glute and hamstring have weakness that I never realized.

So now I have 15 pounds to go over the next 5 weeks.

After my first workout I was convinced that I'd never make it to my other gym for bodybuilding type movements but I am feeling better after every workout so starting next week I'll get a few days of heavy lifting in.

• xfc1
    xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    For that workout, how many calories are consumed? How does it compare to running?

Wolfram Alpha gives a fat loss of 140g for an hour of "Male 98 kg running 10 km/hr". That's not a lot of weight reduction.