Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• alysonbrown13
    alysonbrown13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In addition to the reply I’ve given above, correcting the FALSE information stated by the other commenter here, this is a legit article on how well Weight Watchers is doing this fiscal year. My meetings are packed full of people wall-to-wall. While WW is booming in large part due to the growing amount of social media influencers, a simple google search will also show you that the number of people subscribing to and attending meeting has also risen significantly since the beginning of 2018. I find myself typing all of this because of the frustration of the prior comment I read. I feel the need to correct the false info given out. WW has given me my life back. It’s the least I can do. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/12/j-p-morgan-weight-watchers-stock-to-rally-thanks-to-influencers.html
  • alysonbrown13
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »
    That article linked above doesnt say meetings or Liftetime are going away. Did I miss something?

They’re not going anywhere. False information.
  • alysonbrown13
    Options
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »
    I used weight watchers years ago with great success. The new freestyle I wouldn't do. Since Jean Nidetch is gone and a new CEO Mindy Grossman is in they are completely rebranding WW. Lifetime will be phased out along with meetings. They say "healthy is the new skinny". Check out the article. https://www.fastcompany.com/40500280/how-weight-watchers-transformed-itself-into-a-lifestyle-brand

The meetings were what set WW apart from so many more affordable options!

Meetings and Lifetime aren’t going anywhere. That’s absolutely false. I attend every week and attendance is booming according to the fiscal report WW just released.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    WW works if you follow the plan. Absolutely. I lost 96 pounds, hit goal two months ago, and am at Lifetime. It also promotes a healthy way of eating for your life time, giving the leaner protein, lower sugars 0 points and the others getting points. It's fine to not like WW or life Freestyle, but like anything, you get out what you put in. I like tracking calories now for what my goals are, but I weigh in monthly and attend weekly meetings. My meetings are fun and well attended.
  • alysonbrown13
    Options
    WW works if you follow the plan. Absolutely. I lost 96 pounds, hit goal two months ago, and am at Lifetime. It also promotes a healthy way of eating for your life time, giving the leaner protein, lower sugars 0 points and the others getting points. It's fine to not like WW or life Freestyle, but like anything, you get out what you put in. I like tracking calories now for what my goals are, but I weigh in monthly and attend weekly meetings. My meetings are fun and well attended.

CONGRATULATIONS ON GOAL AND LIFETIME 🎉🎉🎉
  • tibby1971
    tibby1971 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago and hit my goal weight. Then I got pregnant. I have attempted WW since they have changed the plans. I did OK on the system they had 4 years ago but tried again last year before they switched to the freestyle plan. I lost 5 pounds.... by logging WW and MFP at the same time, I figured out on WW that I was eating A LOT more calories than I needed to actually lose weight and I was on the “lowest points” I was ever going to get through. I dropped WW and just go MFP only. As long as I log my food, I do pretty well.
  • banana2girl
    banana2girl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I guess it's like every other weight loss plan. If you're consistent and you're consistent in a calorie deficit, then you lose weight. If you feel like you'd enjoy the support of meeting up with other people, then do it. Because your friend asked you to join her, I'd do it just for her because it may help her and then end up helping you too. I've tried WW, but didn't like it because everyone just talks about food ALL THE TIME and that was not helpful to me.

I've also never approved of fad diets or meal delivery plans because these are things that I could do myself through eating healthy and tracking -- but now I'm on a meal delivery plan because I wasn't doing those things that I could do myself. So if you find it helpful OR want to help your friend, then do it, but don't stop tracking here. And no, it's not counterproductive. Just repetitive.
  • stacys909
    stacys909 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did it ! Loved it ! Really works as long as you stick to the program. You can EAT and not starve, you don’t have to count calories. You lose weight healthy. You can eat out. There are actually restaurants with weight watcher menus !

I say TRY IT!
    I lost 30 lbs on it ... still have not gained it back and I haven’t used it in 9 months or longer. 👍🏽
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I was on WW years ago when they actually had you count proteins, veggies, fruits, fats, etc. I thought the plan was MUCH better then...because it actually had you focus on some sort of balanced diet. Now that being said....the new system with the “free point foods” - there’s a “short list” of things that really qualify (aside from typical veggies that have always been on the list) - like Lean chicken, lean turkey, eggs.

I remember one leader saying a long time ago that they made fruits “free” because a mandarin orange would be more points than an Oreo cookie - and when given a choice, most people would take the cookie over the orange. Once they made the orange free then people were more likely to have it than the Oreo. They’ve now taken that a step further....nowadays people are starting to focus more on protein intake, and giving members “free points” for chicken, turkey, eggs, and other things that use to “cost them” - people are now choosing foods that are considered more healthy and supposedly put them in better place to be able to lose weight a bit more easily.

And All of that being said - I do go to WW - moreso to weigh in than anything else. I do need that weekly accountability to somebody who isn’t tied to me somehow. I’d rather pay for that then the premium membership for MFP right now.....that may change soon enough, but right now, that’s where I’m at.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    stacys909 wrote: »
    Did it ! Loved it ! Really works as long as you stick to the program. You can EAT and not starve, you don’t have to count calories. You lose weight healthy. You can eat out. There are actually restaurants with weight watcher menus !

I say TRY IT!
    I lost 30 lbs on it ... still have not gained it back and I haven’t used it in 9 months or longer. 👍🏽

It isn't WW that works it's eating less than you burn.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Have been doing WW for years, works great for me!
  • alysonbrown13
    Options
    I don’t know why it has to be one or the other. I get that some of the people on this thread have ‘been there done that’ on WW and some have come here since Freestyle began, because they weren’t fans of that system, which is fine. The key to Freestyle is that Zero points doesn’t equal Zero calories, which for me, is why I also use MFP. I didn’t become overweight by eating too many oranges. The program emphasizes that you eat Zero point foods in moderation- 2-4 servings and that’s it. I don’t go over that and I’m having tremendous success. That being said, I am also using MFP to monitor everything I’m eating as well. This has been SO HELPFUL for me. I love the structure of Weight Watchers, and I love knowing how many calories, fats, carbs and sodium I’m taking in as well as how my activity is directly affecting my goals. That’s just me. One program does not have to be knocked or bashed for another, especially when it is working for SO MANY PEOPLE. I originally commented here because someone made absolutely false claims that I felt the need to correct.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don’t know why it has to be one or the other. I get that some of the people on this thread have ‘been there done that’ on WW and some have come here since Freestyle began, because they weren’t fans of that system, which is fine. The key to Freestyle is that Zero points doesn’t equal Zero calories, which for me, is why I also use MFP. I didn’t become overweight by eating too many oranges. The program emphasizes that you eat Zero point foods in moderation- 2-4 servings and that’s it. I don’t go over that and I’m having tremendous success. That being said, I am also using MFP to monitor everything I’m eating as well. This has been SO HELPFUL for me. I love the structure of Weight Watchers, and I love knowing how many calories, fats, carbs and sodium I’m taking in as well as how my activity is directly affecting my goals. That’s just me. One program does not have to be knocked or bashed for another, especially when it is working for SO MANY PEOPLE. I originally commented here because someone made absolutely false claims that I felt the need to correct.

I follow Freestyle guidelines and attend meetings occasionally and here's what the problem is: I have never heard it encouraged in any meeting to place limits on how much or how often to eat these zero point foods per day. "Let your weight loss be your guide, you can't overeat zero point foods" is what is said. I gained weight while dating my husband because one of the meals we loved to eat together (pre- WW) were double helpings of corn and grilled chicken breast, both zero point foods. Thankfully I learned portion control through counting points and the Good Health Guidelines (on the older program, the one that told you how many servings per day to have) . Freestyle brought me nothing but a creeping gain. Advice from my dietitian on limiting portion size and caloric limits at by MFP helped put the brakes on that.

For me the combination is what works. But I wish Freestyle were more specific in terms of portion control and frequency.
  • Nanamo2012
    Nanamo2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    WW has a special on, pay £19.43 today for the online plan and that’s giving you 3 months membership. I did WW years ago and it did work for me then, I feel for this price well worth having new ideas and recipes. Reading most of your comments we all know that the secret to dieting is healthy eating and exercise. I have decided am going to join, there’s no reason why I can’t still keep using MFP as well as WW. Good luck all, Happy Eating
  • treenapenney45
    treenapenney45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried the ww freestyle last January for the first time I enjoyed it and had some success....however it's not for everyone...cost was a factor for me...once I stoped I have regained about 10lb ....so going to give this a try 😊😊
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It’s a good program, especially the meetings. The digital only option is logging of points similar to logging calories; but I prefer logging calories.

But saying that; weight watchers began my journey to fitness and awareness of portion control and better nutrition✨
  • Britknee231
    Britknee231 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alimacbean wrote: »
    I had great success on the Smart Point plan, the previous version. I did not have luck on the Freestyle plan, the most current one. I gave it a good 3 weeks and learned it wasn't for me. It's a great maintenance plan, not a good weight loss plan... for me.

Same for me!