I don’t know if I can do this whole weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss takes a long time, but weight maintenance takes forever. You will have to eat and move every day for the rest of your life anyway, so why not do it in a way that is conductive to health? To lose weight, you just have to eat a little less and maybe move a little more, but consistently. So it's simple, but not necessarily easy. To figure out how much to eat, and how much to move, is simple, a stupid calculator can do that. To actually not eat too much, and move more, can be a little more challenging, because you have to do it consistently and forever, so this is where you have to put in your effort. Your job is to eat less and move more AND find ways to make it as easy/fun as possible, because it is of no use if you just do it for a short while, and you can't do it forever if you feel like you're suffering. And finally, even the most optimally personalized regimen will still require some occasional use of discipline. But no suffering.

So whenever people talk about how hard it is to lose weight, I ask myself if they're doing unnecessary things, or have unrealistic expectations. So I'm going to ask you too: are you doing unnecessary things? How do you expect losing weight to be?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is really a lifelong commitment. Approaching it from that angle, and remembering why you're doing this in the 1st place, should help.
    Think of it as a trade-off. Ok, you don't have enough calories in your day for that brownie, so not eating it contributes to your health, weight loss, and overall wellbeing.
  • rueruechika86
    rueruechika86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Think of the long term...10, 20, 30 years down the road. Just take of your body- eat well and keeping moving and you'll prevent a lot of health complications down the road. The scale can be misleading and discouraging sometimes, that's when you'll have trust the process.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Typical healthy weight loss means 0-2 pounds a week. I currently have 160-ish i want to lose. That’ll take me at least a year, 5-6 months. If I dwell on that, I’ll likely give up. If I focus on 8-10 ish pounds a month, then it’s not as scary. I lost 120 before in about a year, then another 20 of skin removal. Then life happened and I gained it back over the last few years. It’s all about what you focus on.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m slowly losing commitment, I have two choices 1) put the hard work in & believe it’s going to pay off 2) just give up pretty much. Any encouragement will help. It’s taking longer than expected!

Don't do the whole weight loss. Don't do it. Maybe do a few pounds. Next month, maybe do a few more.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You gotta stay in the day and don't forget about the motivating losses (big or small) that will occur motivating you along the way.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here are a few ideas.
    - set weekly goals unrelated to weight. I suggest behavioural goals.
    - Find an accountability partner. It sure helps me if I have to report to someone!
    - Get some ideas for behavioural goals from Duhigg’s book.

I use an app called Habit Bull to set goals and track my progress towards them.

In addition to maintaining my weight (it was losing weight), I have fitness goals like improving my VO2 Max and being able to do certain yoga poses and being able to hit weight lifting goals. OH! And spend more time on the surf board than falling off it the next time out. :lol:

Give your self something else to focus on that is health related (and not—I also have a goal to read every day). For me, the fitness goals give me motivation to maintain my macros and my MFP calorie goal. I see myself get closer and I realize how I’m treating myself by not overeating (or underrating) makes a difference and it helps me stay the course.

I also have a goal for not beating myself up the days I do indulge—I’m only human, after all. :smiley:

And the highly structured and organized person I am LOVES checking off those little circles each day.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have been skinny most of my life. I’m losing weight because I’ve gotten fat from being sick. I’m losing weight because I can’t do the whole fat thing. It’s no way for me to live.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Believe you can or believe you can't either way your probably right
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals, ones that you can meet shorter term. For example if you have to lose 100+ lbs consider that your overall goal but it will take a fair bit of time to reach that goal (took me 2yrs to lose 130lbs). Set weekly or monthly goals like, I will be 4lbs down in 4 weeks, I will walk 60 miles in the next month. This way you will see the benefits of what you are doing sooner and will help keep you motivated.

Its tough but you need to be persistent and focused and you will achieve your goals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be a very black & white approach

I see your point here. Associate the group of things you understand to be part of your weight loss with one of those colors. Stay there. See? It's really as simple as you want it to be.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not a race, so as long as you are making steady progress, don't worry about how long it's taking you. You need to build sustainable healthier eating habits that will last you far into the future. Getting there as fast as possible, especially if you are depriving yourself unrealistically, only sets you up for failure on down the road.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You can't make a lifetime of future choices in one decision. Just make the next one. You just make each decision as it comes. Make most of them correctly. Miss one once in awhile. It'll happen. Move to the next one.

Just about all of life is like that - not just food choices. Make each small decision yourself and own it - good or bad. Learn along the way.