HITT?? Treadmill workouts?

Options
13»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
    Don't wanna gain too much muscle I'm tall and kinda thick already
    Get rid of love handles

Any other workout or eating advice is welcome as well!
    Thank you!

Although not impossible, losing 20 more pounds in a month isn't very realistic. The closer you get to a normal BMI the harder it is to lose weight without increasing your deficit to unsafe levels. Slow down a bit, figure on an average of 1lb loss per week, be happy if it's more but don't get up set if it's not. 20 lbs = 20 weeks if you are diligent and stick to your calorie goals. At the most, two months would be about 16 lbs +/- a couple pounds if you've set yourself at a 2lb/wk loss and stick to the calories. Exercise doesn't matter, although I would recommend it to keep fit in the meantime.
  • MrsRachaelFisk1
    MrsRachaelFisk1 Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

How far do you run on the treadmill?

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

I concur with this - Do not attempt a sprint interval hiit until you're up to at least a half hour clean jog on the treadmill. Interval training is damn tough and only works when it's done properly, and you won't see results if you have to tap out half way through and are left in agony for days!

Good luck though my friend!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    HIIT doesn't do anything for me, I prefer steady state. I don't think it burns more calories or anything and the anecdata about prolonged burn doesn't really excite me either. Sometimes I'll do intervals if I'm not feeling a long stint but I wouldn't call it HIIT. Just do whatever you feel good about doing, vary it if you are bored but don't shoehorn something you don't care for into your routine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

NO, actually it won't.

However, as you lose weight, you'll burn fewer calories going the same distance, and as you get more efficient, you'll be able to go farther in the same time, or do the same distance in less time(which results in greater calorie burns). But it really doesn't matter how often you run or what patterns you run for calorie burn.

That being said. The best way to maximize weight(fat) loss is to get your diet under control.

I thought the fatter you were, the more calories you burned? But like your body gets used to doing on workout after a bit doesn't it?

Yes, as you get better at running, you'll be able to do it faster, but that's not the same as changing the amount of calories burned.

A hypothetical 180 lb 5 ft tall man will burn approximately the same calories when running a mile as a 180 lb 6 foot tall man. And yes this has been studied and tested extensively. Here's a good place to start.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/

Okay then. So the more I lose, the harder I must work?

not really. your deficit should come from your food, don't rely on exercise to create it, because what happens if you cant work out?

So is the way MFP operates really effective? Like you just have to stay under your calorie goal and if you exercise you have extra calories to spend? I mean people say on here it doesn't matter what you eat, just stay under the goal. I've still been trying to eat healthy just in case though. Yesterday I wasn't able to eat anything the whole day because I was out and I binged on chips and a Subway sandwich. Plus two helpings of ice cream. Will that hurt me much? I mean I just got done working out just now.

One day is one day.

Overrestriction tends to lead to indulgence.

If you know you're going to be out, you can plan in advance what you want to eat that fits within your calorie budget.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with chips or subway, if you fit them in your budget. For that matter nothing wrong with ice cream either, although it's harder to make it fit.

Oh, well that's good. I'm trying not to restrict myself too much but it's hard resisting going back for seconds when I do. 😁

What's your priority, losing weight or eating seconds?
  • Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

NO, actually it won't.

However, as you lose weight, you'll burn fewer calories going the same distance, and as you get more efficient, you'll be able to go farther in the same time, or do the same distance in less time(which results in greater calorie burns). But it really doesn't matter how often you run or what patterns you run for calorie burn.

That being said. The best way to maximize weight(fat) loss is to get your diet under control.

I thought the fatter you were, the more calories you burned? But like your body gets used to doing on workout after a bit doesn't it?

Yes, as you get better at running, you'll be able to do it faster, but that's not the same as changing the amount of calories burned.

A hypothetical 180 lb 5 ft tall man will burn approximately the same calories when running a mile as a 180 lb 6 foot tall man. And yes this has been studied and tested extensively. Here's a good place to start.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/

not really. your deficit should come from your food, don't rely on exercise to create it, because what happens if you cant work out?

So is the way MFP operates really effective? Like you just have to stay under your calorie goal and if you exercise you have extra calories to spend? I mean people say on here it doesn't matter what you eat, just stay under the goal. I've still been trying to eat healthy just in case though. Yesterday I wasn't able to eat anything the whole day because I was out and I binged on chips and a Subway sandwich. Plus two helpings of ice cream. Will that hurt me much? I mean I just got done working out just now.

One day is one day.

If you know you're going to be out, you can plan in advance what you want to eat that fits within your calorie budget.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with chips or subway, if you fit them in your budget. For that matter nothing wrong with ice cream either, although it's harder to make it fit.

Oh, well that's good. I'm trying not to restrict myself too much but it's hard resisting going back for seconds when I do. 😁

Uhhhhhbhaisofnfjdnjdjdkdkdjfnn WEIGHT!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

One day is one day.

You're getting ready to head to college. The first/last step to being "a grownup" LOL.

The core of being an actual adult is priorities and consequences.

Figuring out what is important(actually) and what the consequences of taking or not taking an action are.

So with very few exceptions, the answer to a "I can't" statement is "but you could" except you don't want the consequences---OR the consequences aren't worth the effort.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    HIIT can be great for anaerobic fitness and endurance, prep for certain sports, if you enjoy it, etc. Otherwise I don't see the benefit for it for fat loss alone (I don't do it because it interferes with my lifting, I can barely handle steady state cardio as it is haha)

Becoming leaner will come from a calorie deficit as mentioned. How you get there is up to you. Unfortunately if you store fat on your legs, they might be the last to come off. I would recommend strength training to help retain the muscle in your legs for a more defined, "toned" lean appearance as you get to goal. Building muscle in a deficit, while not impossible, usually isn't very significant to make a huge difference.
    While some types of cardio can help retain muscle, it is not as optimal as strength training, without there is a chance your legs and rest of your body will be smaller with the same appearance and bodyfat they have now, (again, that might be your goal and there is nothing wrong with that, just putting it out there).

Also make sure your weight loss goals are realistic.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    HIIT can be great for anaerobic fitness and endurance, prep for certain sports, if you enjoy it, etc. Otherwise I don't see the benefit for it for fat loss alone (I don't do it because it interferes with my lifting, I can barely handle steady state cardio as it is haha)

Becoming leaner will come from a calorie deficit as mentioned. How you get there is up to you. Unfortunately if you store fat on your legs, they might be the last to come off. I would recommend strength training to help retain the muscle in your legs for a more defined, "toned" lean appearance as you get to goal. Building muscle in a deficit, while not impossible, usually isn't very significant to make a huge difference.
    While some types of cardio can help retain muscle, it is not as optimal as strength training, without there is a chance your legs and rest of your body will be smaller with the same appearance and bodyfat they have now, (again, that might be your goal and there is nothing wrong with that, just putting it out there).

Wait, so even if I lose weight I'll still look flabby but thinner until I tone up? I have big thighs though, and I just wanna tone them and lose the fat. What strength training do you recommend? Lunges? Squats? I can do 50 squats but I'm not sure what good it does...
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

One day is one day.

You're getting ready to head to college. The first/last step to being "a grownup" LOL.

Figuring out what is important(actually) and what the consequences of taking or not taking an action are.

So with very few exceptions, the answer to a "I can't" statement is "but you could" except you don't want the consequences---OR the consequences aren't worth the effort.

Oh okay. I WON'T GIVE UP! I hope....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Wait, so even if I lose weight I'll still look flabby but thinner until I tone up? I have big thighs though, and I just wanna tone them and lose the fat. What strength training do you recommend? Lunges? Squats? I can do 50 squats but I'm not sure what good it does...

If you can squat correctly, most people don't!! And you don't have access to a gym(with weights) start working on one leg variants of the squat and lunge. as they approximate loaded squat and deadlift/hinge patterning.

Correct squat is where your hips pass below your knee. For unloaded squats ATG -all the way down is fine, but "below parallel" is key.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

One day is one day.

Oh okay. I WON'T GIVE UP! I hope....

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.
  • sardelsa
    Options

While it depends on what exercise you do, yes there is a chance you won't have the body composition you want when you get to goal. "Tone" is basically having a lower bodyfat and enough muscle to show through.

After I had my first baby, I lost weight with only walking and light exercise, and when I got to goal while I was smaller and able to fit into my old clothes, my bodyfat was very high and I was not happy with my body composition.

I would follow a full body program for best results, not just some random squats and lunges. You want to progress and challenge your body over time so it holds on to that muscle.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

While it depends on what exercise you do, yes there is a chance you won't have the body composition you want when you get to goal. "Tone" is basically having a lower bodyfat and enough muscle to show through.

After I had my first baby, I lost weight with only walking and light exercise, and when I got to goal while I was smaller and able to fit into my old clothes, my bodyfat was very high and I was not happy with my body composition.

I would follow a full body program for best results, not just some random squats and lunges. You want to progress and challenge your body over time so it holds on to that muscle.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Oh okay. I downloaded this app called 30 day challenge and it has workouts for things like that. But I'll try doing the strength training some days instead of just running every day. I was just trying to do cardio so I could just lose the fat but apparently I need to build muscle to.... replace what I've lost in body composition? (fat, carbs, etc)
  • sardelsa
    Options

Oh okay. I downloaded this app called 30 day challenge and it has workouts for things like that. But I'll try doing the strength training some days instead of just running every day. I was just trying to do cardio so I could just lose the fat but apparently I need to build muscle to.... replace what I've lost in body composition? (fat, carbs, etc)

It's not so much about building when you are losing but retaining what muscle you have. It's like trying to drain pasta without a colander. You might have the odd one left and stuck to the pot, but the rest goes down the drain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    atkhorses wrote: »
    leo0933 wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

Hi Leo, how do we figure our body type? I think if I figure this out, I will be better able to be confident I will progress in a workout plan. thanks!

It's utterly irrelevant.

Quick leg count is all you need to determine if you can run or not. Optimum number is two.

Two what? Steps?

Legs, one each side.

Fewer just means you need extra kit.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    "Couch to 5K" abbreviate c25k doesn't have any kind of strength training involved, and I find that balance exercises are key when trying to run for the first time. There's another program, "None to Run." There are some strength/balance exercises in there that REALLY HELP, honest.[
    quote="Jayfeather15;c-42231065"]
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

How far do you run on the treadmill?

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

In all honesty the is a lot of misinformation about the value of HIIT and you'll get far more benefit from working up to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Rather than design a plan for that I'd recommend just using something like Couch to 5K to develop your capacity to do that.

Soooo it'll be better to just run? What does couch to 5k mean?[/quote]

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

I'd be interested to see evidence of that. Most of the commentary I've seen on the purported benefits are nonsense.

Really? It's pretty widely accepted science. 32 cited references here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#cite_note-pmid8897392-11

It's a wikipedia article but most of the links are to peer reviewed studies.

Now, having said that, if you dive in to the studies with the deepest science, the high intensity portion is beyond most of us mere mortals. My understanding is that it was first noted by competitive college track coaches who cross trained their distance runners with sprinting. Their diets were carefully maintained and the consistent weight loss at consumption that seemed like they should have been maintenance caused them to look deeper. The metabolism stayed high for much longer after the training sessions than for distance runners who didn't have sprints intermingled. But these were people running 5 minute miles and throwing in some 15 second hundreds here and there without stopping. In commercial gyms, they refer to 5 mph jogging with some occasional bursts to 7 or 8 mph as HIIT. The effect is not as dramatic as it is for the elite athletes whose "slow running" is at a higher pace than the "High Intensity" part of many work outs.

TL;DR version - It's legit for elite athletes, but most people can't handle the intensity it requires for significant benefits.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now, having said that, if you dive in to the studies with the deepest science, the high intensity portion is beyond most of us mere mortals. My understanding is that it was first noted by competitive college track coaches who cross trained their distance runners with sprinting. Their diets were carefully maintained and the consistent weight loss at consumption that seemed like they should have been maintenance caused them to look deeper. The metabolism stayed high for much longer after the training sessions than for distance runners who didn't have sprints intermingled. But these were people running 5 minute miles and throwing in some 15 second hundreds here and there without stopping. In commercial gyms, they refer to 5 mph jogging with some occasional bursts to 7 or 8 mph as HIIT. The effect is not as dramatic as it is for the elite athletes whose "slow running" is at a higher pace than the "High Intensity" part of many work outs.

So in the context of the original poster the response was to a generic "HIIT is magic and special" dribble.

It has a place, but not for the originator...