Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

BrunetteRunner87
BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
I was just saying to my husband that I wish this Keto craze would end already. I feel like half the posts on here are about it, I have about 20 facebook friends constantly talking about it, and 65% of the news stories Google sends me about health are keto-related. (And I don't think a lot of people who say they're doing keto actually know what it is, but that's a different discussion). I guess if it really works for someone, great, but I think a lot of people talk about it and try it without actually knowing what it is and that it's not sustainable for many people for long. Mostly I'm tired of it clogging up my feed!

I know that when I first started MFP several years ago, there weren't really any discussions about keto. But there was probably another popular diet...I remember Atkins and South Beach were all the rage for a while, and in the 90s you had low fat diets.

So, do you think keto is just a craze, or is it here to stay? What new diet do you think it will be replaced with next? I'm also interested in a trip down memory lane to discuss popular diets from back in the day, when they phased out, and whether they ever came back into popularity.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think part of keto'e popularity is that people are excited to have permission to eat fat again after it was demonized for decades. The pendulum has swung too far if whole food carbs, like vegetables and fruits, are declared bad for everyone, but that will settle out in a year or so. IMO

I disagree, many do keto based on what they heard. How many times I hear that "I have to cut carbs to lose weight" or "carbs are no good for you". Many do keto based on fear they hear about carbs, many are not well informed on the subject and think the reason they got big in the first place is because they ate too many carbs. Since there is a keto fad going on, it doesn't help that there snake oil salesmen who add fuel to the fire by spouting more non sense (Taubes and Dr Fung come in mind).

Thankfully not everyone who does keto are ignorant on the carbs subject, there are few who do it simply because they just enjoy that type of diet and they still understand that it's all about CICO.

There was a post just the other day from a person who was trying keto, not enjoying it, and asking how to get over the "misinformation" that vegetables were good for them.

Not everyone doing keto falls into this group, but I do notice more posts from people who have been taught to fear foods like vegetables or think that having some rice is going to make them deathly ill.
    I think part of keto'e popularity is that people are excited to have permission to eat fat again after it was demonized for decades. The pendulum has swung too far if whole food carbs, like vegetables and fruits, are declared bad for everyone, but that will settle out in a year or so. IMO

I disagree, many do keto based on what they heard. How many times I hear that "I have to cut carbs to lose weight" or "carbs are no good for you". Many do keto based on fear they hear about carbs, many are not well informed on the subject and think the reason they got big in the first place is because they ate too many carbs. Since there is a keto fad going on, it doesn't help that there snake oil salesmen who add fuel to the fire by spouting more non sense (Taubes and Dr Fung come in mind).

Thankfully not everyone who does keto are ignorant on the carbs subject, there are few who do it simply because they just enjoy that type of diet and they still understand that it's all about CICO.

There was a post just the other day from a person who was trying keto, not enjoying it, and asking how to get over the "misinformation" that vegetables were good for them.

Not everyone doing keto falls into this group, but I do notice more posts from people who have been taught to fear foods like vegetables or think that having some rice is going to make them deathly ill.

Hopefully they were corrected.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Hopefully they were corrected.

I'm not sure if it got through, but people did point out that vegetables weren't dangerous.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018

I disagree, many do keto based on what they heard. How many times I hear that "I have to cut out carbs to lose weight" or "carbs are no good for you". Many do keto based on fear they hear about carbs, many are not well informed on the subject and think the reason they got big in the first place is because they ate too many carbs. Since there is a keto fad going on, it doesn't help that there snake oil salesmen who add fuel to the fire by spouting more non sense (Taubes and Dr Fung come in mind).

There's always going to be misinformed people who eat just bananas or grapefruit or think ACV or veganism will cause weight loss. Of course there will be those misinformed about keto. Since keto has grown in popularity, some of the dietary ignorant have moved over to try it instead of the more typical moderation and lean foods diets. This doesn't mean that keto'ers are misinformed as a group, rather that more of the misinformed are trying keto.

Well we don't have data to know how many people who do keto are misinformed and which ones are informed. However, when you go around the forums, they are not hard to spot. My beef is not towards those who do keto while having the right information in hand, my beef is with those who spread the lies about carbs and other myths regarding that. Just like I wouldn't hesitate to call out someone who says "eating a banana will cause you to lose weight". But since keto is popular right now, you will definitely get a lot of bad carbs information, much more than anything else because the keto community is the largest diet community group on mfp. In other words, the pool is much bigger, therefore you are more likely to encounter some bad fish.
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2018
    thoe only ones that are diets are the south beach and the mediterranean. all diets follow CICO(its just an energy blaance) those cleanses arent really diets though. I had the same issue with keto

Yes true, cleanses were the in thing a few years back.