Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think part of keto'e popularity is that people are excited to have permission to eat fat again after it was demonized for decades. The pendulum has swung too far if whole food carbs, like vegetables and fruits, are declared bad for everyone, but that will settle out in a year or so. IMO

I disagree, many do keto based on what they heard. How many times I hear that "I have to cut out carbs to lose weight" or "carbs are no good for you". Many do keto based on fear they hear about carbs, many are not well informed on the subject and think the reason they got big in the first place is because they ate too many carbs. Since there is a keto fad going on, it doesn't help that there snake oil salesmen who add fuel to the fire by spouting more non sense (Taubes and Dr Fung come in mind).

Thankfully not everyone who does keto are ignorant on the carbs subject, there are few who do it simply because they just enjoy that type of diet and they still understand that it's all about CICO.

There's always going to be misinformed people who eat just bananas or grapefruit or think ACV or veganism will cause weight loss. Of course there will be those misinformed about keto. Since keto has grown in popularity, some of the dietary ignorant have moved over to try it instead of the more typical moderation and lean foods diets. This doesn't mean that keto'ers are misinformed as a group, rather that more of the misinformed are trying keto.

Well we don't have data to know how many people who do keto are misinformed and which ones are informed. However, when you go around the forums, they are not hard to spot. My beef is not towards those who do keto while having the right information in hand, my beef is with those who spread the lies about carbs and other myths regarding that. Just like I wouldn't hesitate to call out someone who says "eating a banana will cause you to lose weight". But since keto is popular right now, you will definitely get a lot of bad carbs information, much more than anything else because the keto community is the largest diet community group on mfp. In other words, the pool is much bigger, therefore you are more likely to encounter some bad fish.

That's true. More people doing keto correlates with more misinformation being seen. Bigger pool is right.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2018
    LouisTamsi wrote: »
    thoe only ones that are diets are the south beach and the mediterranean. all diets follow CICO(its just an energy blaance) those cleanses arent really diets though. I had the same issue with keto

Yes true, cleanses were the in thing a few years back.

yeah and for some they still are and people THINK those things are needed to lose weight as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I think part of keto'e popularity is that people are excited to have permission to eat fat again after it was demonized for decades. The pendulum has swung too far if whole food carbs, like vegetables and fruits, are declared bad for everyone, but that will settle out in a year or so. IMO

I disagree, many do keto based on what they heard. How many times I hear that "I have to cut out carbs to lose weight" or "carbs are no good for you". Many do keto based on fear they hear about carbs, many are not well informed on the subject and think the reason they got big in the first place is because they ate too many carbs. Since there is a keto fad going on, it doesn't help that there snake oil salesmen who add fuel to the fire by spouting more non sense (Taubes and Dr Fung come in mind).

Thankfully not everyone who does keto are ignorant on the carbs subject, there are few who do it simply because they just enjoy that type of diet and they still understand that it's all about CICO.

Low fat dieting has lost its luster a good while ago, so this is no longer a reaction, but you can't deny that it started out this way. It started out as "I can eat fat? Awesome!", but the more popular it got the more it moved into the territory of thinking that "carbs make you fat" is a fact. It's very obvious when threads by people who are new to dieting mention carbs in passing so matter of factly.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    edited July 2018

The SAD is known for the relative *lack* of whole grains, not an emphasis on them.

Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high.

"The typical American diet is about 50% carbohydrate, 15% protein, and 35% fat.[7] These macronutrient intakes fall within the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDR) for adults identified by the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States Institute of Medicine as "associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases while providing adequate intakes of essential nutrients," which are 45-65% carbohydrate, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat as a percentage of total energy.[8] However, the nutritional quality of the specific foods comprising those macronutrients is often poor..."

• BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    SAD doesn't exist, we are too diverse of a culture, each bringing our own norms to the table to even begin to define SAD. Now what we could do is instead rebrand it as DAD or the Dysfunctional American Diet, one that is heavy on greasy foods, fast food, junk food, soda, etc. These foods don't hold the nutrients we need as well as being silent calories. Up until a few weeks ago I bet few people knew how many calories were in a supersize big mac value meal. Now I'm not demonizing these foods in and of themselves, but if they're your only diet then problems are on the horizon.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high...

The default macro split on MFP is 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. Many people have had great success losing weight and hugely improving their health using that macro combination. For an even more extreme example, Google "Twinkie Diet". A professor lost considerable weight and showed vast improvement in his metabolic/health markers while eating a diet largely composed of what people commonly refer to as "junk food".

Carbs are not the evil bogeyman that keto advocates are making them out to be.

No, they are not evil at all. However 50% is quite high if you have PCOS or another medical issue related to insulin resistance.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Granted, Wikipedia is not Gospel, but the following is quoted from there. I may be mistaken about what I said regarding "whole grains", but SAD carbs are really quite high...

The default macro split on MFP is 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. Many people have had great success losing weight and hugely improving their health using that macro combination. For an even more extreme example, Google "Twinkie Diet". A professor lost considerable weight and showed vast improvement in his metabolic/health markers while eating a diet largely composed of what people commonly refer to as "junk food".

Carbs are not the evil bogeyman that keto advocates are making them out to be.

However 50% is quite high if you have PCOS or another medical issue related to insulin resistance.

Sure, but what percentage of the population have that medical issue? There will always be exceptions especially with all the people in this world.