Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on bikini competitors?

HayleeRenaeFit
HayleeRenaeFit Posts: 43 Member
Hey everyone! I have been asked recently by a bunch by prep coaches in the gym if I would consider competing in a bikini comp. lately I have been seriously considering it because of my hard work and dedication in the gym as well as diet. I have heard bad rumors about it and don’t know if it would be healthy, or what my macros/calories would have to be. Any insight would be great! Thank youu

Replies

• HayleeRenaeFit
    HayleeRenaeFit Posts: 43 Member
    Yes I definitely do, thank you
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Be very mindful of the "cookie-cutter" coaches. These are the folks that put all of their girls on the same meal plan, same calorie plan, same macro plan. Clearly, not an ideal situation.

This is a very very very different way of life. You will be - towards the end - in very dangerous waters with respect to caloric intake. Things that everyone in MFP would jump all in your s**t about doing. That is just what happens in the "prep life". Mentally, you need to be really strong (it is going to be the hardest thing - short of giving birth - that you have ever done) and committed. You can not have any doubts about doing this....it is TOUGH!

This is also a very expensive way of life. Make no mistake about it. Competing - at the actual show - is going to be an expensive day. And that does not include the travel | accommodations should you not live within driving distance. You will be eating very well (read: expensive)…..

There is a coach - Paul Revelia - who is top-notch! His web site is https://prophysique.com. There is also William Grazione. His web site is http://www.metabolicevolution.com/bio.html. There are lots and lots of other coaches. These two dudes do it right. I could fill up this space with awesome and amazing coaches….but will stick with these two initially.

We clearly do not know the folks at your gym. How comfortable with them are you?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    And, don't know you - but your profile pic looks very good. You clearly have worked really hard (or, are just a very genetically-gifted individual). So, props to you on your hard work.
  • notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    ^ Paul Revelia has a great youtube channel, I would definitely recommend OP check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMNvwRc9pQo
    Here's a link to one of his videos on competing. He has MANY more, even some that go into calories/macros/cardio/coaching etc etc.
    Aside from that, I would stress that you really need to have your own motivation to do it (a coach saying 'hey you should compete' does sound slightly suspicious..) and be prepared for the potential consequences of getting that lean. Many girls lose their cycle, develop eating disorders, and are pressured to use PEDs. I personally would not categorize competing as "healthy"..
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    When are you planning on starting this? Perhaps wait until your video shoot is done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    If it requires that you pay for entry or for coaching to prep for a contest...beware a scam. This isn't too dissimilar from those people who used to grab teens at the mall in the 80's and tell them that they have a future in modeling in order to get them to sign up with their 'agency' and pay for head shots.

That said, if your head is on straight and you know that it won't make you develop any body/eating/exercise issues, etc. then go for it. Might be fun.

You always have to pay for entry. Every stage competitor I know has a coach as well. But yeah, I'd definitely look into it more and likely talk to some of the people being coached by these coaches and go to some shows before I committed to anything.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    If it requires that you pay for entry or for coaching to prep for a contest...beware a scam. This isn't too dissimilar from those people who used to grab teens at the mall in the 80's and tell them that they have a future in modeling in order to get them to sign up with their 'agency' and pay for head shots.

That said, if your head is on straight and you know that it won't make you develop any body/eating/exercise issues, etc. then go for it. Might be fun.

You always have to pay for entry. Every stage competitor I know has a coach as well. But yeah, I'd definitely look into it more and likely talk to some of the people being coached by these coaches and go to some shows before I committed to anything.

The cost was one thing I'd be sure to research. It is a substantial financial investment: besides food, and gym, there's entry fees, a personal trainer, positioning coach, bathing suit/heels/spray tan/make-up/hair, and some of the fitness competitions have a dance/talent portion and you need music and choreography ...