Highest Weight Ever......

Options
2»

Replies

• missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The time will pass, regardless of what you do. You can either be better off in 6 months than you are today or not.

This really hit home with me and its now hanging in my bathroom so I can read it every morning. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Please reply so we know if we are being helpful :-) Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to address my post. My attitude has even lifted in the couple of days since I posted. I haven't exercised yet but I am just recouping from putting my back out on Monday. I enlisted a couple of friends for support in sticking to my exercise goal of 3-4 walks per week of at least 30 min. Food has been going ok and I think I am making decent choices but that post-supper snack craving is a hard one. Today will be the first day I dont go over my calories :)

I know it was a hard one for me too but I think I have broke it!
    I do leave some of my calorie balance for a night time snack. Yogurt...cherries....small popcorn bag....mini drumstick(ice cream).
    Be prepared for those times but if you don't really feel like it then dont!
    It's about building new habits!
    Just stay within your range trainee :D
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What's helped me is setting a time to "check in" with a trusted friend every night. For me, it helps me to stay motivated by being able to brag about how good I'm doing -- rather than beating myself up in solitude and shame and just retreating to the easy route. I make the time before I go to bed each night to call her, video message her, text or email.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for another friend to help you along!
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The time will pass, regardless of what you do. You can either be better off in 6 months than you are today or not.

This really hit home with me and its now hanging in my bathroom so I can read it every morning. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

I started just about 6 months ago, so the quote sure hit home! I've lost over 40 lbs, exclusively by counting calories. I impose very few restrictions on myself because I want this to be a permanent change. (My approach to eating is evolving, interestingly, but only in response to what I find myself leaning toward and not because of any rules or prescribed program.) I'm amazed at how good I feel, and often find myself thinking, "6 months ago I couldn't have (fill in the blank)" The absolute best part is literally FEELING yourself moving more freely. I am not exhausted like I was. I had all but resigned myself to giving up because I truly felt I didn't have it in me. I was wrong!

I promise you, the effort is so very worth it.
  • mtcg72756
    mtcg72756 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least you are tracking your intake. 1,000 over today, make it 950 tomorrow and 900 the next day. You will find you don't need that extra glass of milk or 2 slices of 45 cal bread today. Put in what you want to eat before you eat it, you will be like WOW, I didn't realize that had that many cal., what can I eat instead.

Don't worry about your weight until you get used to tracking and getting that down - I think that is half the battle. You get that part down, you should start seeing results and then that will motivate you!!! My wife started loosing weight when I finally got her to track and she was happy, but then she got tired of putting everything in and her weight is up again and still going up and she is sad all the time, don't want people to see her, etc. I'm guessing you are in the same boat.

You say you get tired walking up the steps. Okay, after reading this go walk them twice!! Do this every time you go up or down the steps, make the trip twice. You will see it getting easier and easier and then do them three times.

Just a couple of simple things to tackle and as you see results you will look for more things to help.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You don't have to decide to go "all in" right at this very moment. You can aim for a 0.5 pound weight loss per week.

I have had the "all in" mentality in the past and found myself too overwhelmed right away. Taking it slower this time.

That's important. Your goal should not be so much to lose weight as it shoudl be to adopt a healthier lifestyle overall.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do a pro's and con's list. When I did it I realised that although both staying fat is hard and losing is hard. I prefer the later option. These are some of my pro's so far

- Not worrying about fitting in airplane/public transport seats.
    - Enjoying a nice glass of wine without acid reflux
    - Being able to walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop to catch my breath.
    - Being able to buy clothes off the shelf
    - Feeling attractive again
    - So many compliments (ok I know that one is vain but I still love it a bit)

Give it a go, it may help you find out what you want.

• MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    noodlesno wrote: »
    Do a pro's and con's list. When I did it I realised that although both staying fat is hard and losing is hard. I prefer the later option. These are some of my pro's so far

- Not worrying about fitting in airplane/public transport seats.
    - Enjoying a nice glass of wine without acid reflux
    - Being able to walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop to catch my breath.
    - Being able to buy clothes off the shelf
    - Feeling attractive again
    - So many compliments (ok I know that one is vain but I still love it a bit)

Give it a go, it may help you find out what you want.

This is awesome - not a thing wrong with being vain!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log my food for the day. I log 3 meals. If I have extra calories I often choose my snack. If I go over, I log it as soon as possible. Often it wasn’t as bad as I thought. If I ate one candy bar over, at 210 calories, that’s better than 4 candy bars. It still keeps me at maintenance.

I’ve been doing this a long time. It gets much quicker with practice. It also gets mentally easier to decide to stay under your calories, with a little time and patience. Maintenance is more of the same, so establish portion control now, as you’ll need it always. Exercise if you can. Weight loss comes from the kitchen though.

Check the boards daily. I do, to keep my head in the game and remind me how easy it is to overeat and gain (as if I could forget that!). By giving back to others you’ll also find that that helps you in your journey. You CAN do this. It’s your choice.
  • Audryana7
    Audryana7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You don't have to decide to go "all in" right at this very moment. You can aim for a 0.5 pound weight loss per week.

I have had the "all in" mentality in the past and found myself too overwhelmed right away. Taking it slower this time.
    I have the “all in” mentality too whenever I start something. It helps me to remind myself that just because you’re not all in right away, doesn’t mean you’re any less dedicated to your goals. You’re not all in right now, but you’re working your way up to it so it will be easier and more sustainable.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A year and a half ago I was where you are now... so tired all the time, barely able to walk around the block. Trust me, not being obese is so much easier! The more you do, the more energy you will eventually have. I started out morbidly obese with walking, slowly biking on my stationary bike (nice because no excuses, it's possible in all weathers), wall push-ups, bodyweight squats, and lifting water bottles. Now I can do real push-ups, squat my body weight, bench 125 lbs, and run 5k. And I'm normal weight! You can do it too, just fifteen minutes a day to start with if you don't have energy for more. In a year you won't recognize yourself.
  • KrisRio8116
    KrisRio8116 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was reading people's success stories and one quote stuck with me. The person said they realized after they lost weight that they weren't overweight because they were lazy, they were lazy because they were over weight. Once they lost weight, they had much more energy. I'm trying to use that as my mantra, because I'm tired all the time! I'm just trying to push through it until I get to a point where I start to feel better. Feel free to add me as a friend! I can commiserate!
  • melbann
    melbann Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Personally I had 80lbs to lose. I went down 20lbs in a about 2-3 months and honestly I may have exercised 2-3 time each month. I chose to instead focus on my eating. I found easy healthy recipes (that were flavorful and nutritious) that I could adjust a little bit here and there to fit into my calorie goals each day. Now that I have my nutrition figured out more and it is less overwhelming I'm incorporating some exercise. Right now I am doing step aerobics from a youtube video. It's 30mins and I die at 8mins. Instead of feeling like a failure when I can't make it past that I tell myself instead that next time my goal is to get past 8mins even if it is just 10 more seconds.

You can do it. It's hard. It feels impossible. But you can do it.
    Set small achievable goals along the way. As you meet them you'll feel motivated to keep going.