Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

How fast did that weight come off, was it consistent 4 lbs per week or did it happen with a woosh? I'm sure some of that is water weight but you could also be losing too quickly. Do you use a trend weight app? That can help sort through some of the noise from fluctuations.

The first 4-5 pounds came off within a couple days, the rest, a steady decline. No, I don't use a weight trend app. I plan to, but honestly, this past year this whole process was so messy, with the new baby. I didn't do anything in an organized way.

How are you feeling about your progress and physique? What are your goals? Are you planning on running a bulk after you cut?

How am I feeling - not quite as lean as I'd like yet, glutes still flatter than I'd like. My upper body is pretty lean and built up as far as I am interested in at this point. I still have some stubborn spots on the back of my love handles and under my butt/sides of thighs. The whole purpose of this cut is to figure out essentially where I'm starting from. However, I know I worked hard in the gym this past year and I do believe I grew a bit, and I don't want to lose it in the process of getting a good start point. Starting in November, I plan to run a good long bulk and really do it right.
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    A lot of your initial loss may have been water. How much difference is there between your carb intake now compared to your bulk?

A big difference. I tend to eat fairly high carb (now mostly coming from fruit) but I have a big appetite and I prioritize protein first, so with 2000 calories there's not a lot of room for junk carbs, which I was eating a lot of before I launched into this cut. So yes, I'm guessing a good 4-5 pounds was water weight, but even subtracting that, I'm still looking at a loss of about 2 pounds a week. So I guess I need to tweak my calorie number. Also, I probably underestimate my TDEE but it's really, really hard for me to figure that out.

Thanks you guys. :)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    progress was made this week so today/ night is REFEED!!! yesssssss. busy all day so all I've had is a huge bowl of groats that I've been craving. I'm sure my night will inlcude 5-6 rolls of sushi, box of cereal, low fat ice cream, done up rice cakes, starchy veggies, some more sweets...etc. 800+ grams of carbs here I come
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I really hate the Fourth of July, dietary ramifications notwithstanding.

Had to go to a cookout at with my wife's extended family. Got a good workout in the afternoon beforehand but didn't compensate enough throughout the day to leave any semblance of enough room for food at the gathering. The only redeeming quality of going to this thing is that the food is always good. Scale back up to 174.4 today, which is about what I expected. I know it'll mostly come back off but after being in damage-control mode last week only losing 0.1lbs and dipping below 172 on Sunday I had hoped for a good week. Alas, another week mitigating how bad I am at cutting; a shallow victory if I can lose anything be weekly average.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Long Weekend/Canada Day or 4th of July etc ! :)

I was having a rough few days (as you can tell by my body image post). I think I was dehydrated (from the hot weekend), which affected my skin so my flaws were extra apparent. Seems I am more full and feel better now.

I am also changing my programming... I have decided to start to go about it on my own, use a template as a shell but use my own knowledge I've developed over 4+ years of lifting to guide me.

What programming does everyone follow on here? Do you have PTs/coaches? Do you design your own? Do you have any specific goals?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

I was having a rough few days (as you can tell by my body image post). I think I was dehydrated (from the hot weekend), which affected my skin so my flaws were extra apparent. Seems I am more full and feel better now.

I am also changing my programming... I have decided to start to go about it on my own, use a template as a shell but use my own knowledge I've developed over 4+ years of lifting to guide me.

What programming does everyone follow on here? Do you have PTs/coaches? Do you design your own? Do you have any specific goals?

I use a combination of Wendler's 531 (main lifts) and Steve Shaw's Massive Iron (accessories), but I've been doing this for the past 8.5 months (since the beginning of the bulk) and I'm starting to get bored. I've added running and crossfit back into my programming, but 4x a week lifting plus all that is really starting to wear on me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I have designed my last two (actually finalizing the design of my current program). My last one was an upper/lower power/hypertrophy split. The new program will be finalizing is a combination of an upper/lower (glycogen depletion) and two full body days; 4 days total - M: Upper Glycogen Depletion, T-Lower Glycogen Depletion, R - Hypertrophy, F - Power.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I use a combination of Wendler's 531 (main lifts) and Steve Shaw's Massive Iron (accessories), but I've been doing this for the past 8.5 months (since the beginning of the bulk) and I'm starting to get bored. I've added running and crossfit back into my programming, but 4x a week lifting plus all that is really starting to wear on me.

Yea that sounds intense. I get bored easily too . I used to be such a program hopper in the past. But I realized I love hip thrusting 3-4x per week and most programs don't do that.

• steveko89
    Options

I don't have a PT or coach. Similarly, I use PHUL as the template but have made some adjustments for preference and equipment availability.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Instead of U, L, Rest, U, L; I do U, L, U, L and added a fifth workout to fill in sets based on Mike Israetel's hypertrophy guidelines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/6674a4/dr_mike_israetels_training_tips_for_hypertrophy/

Day 1: Upper Hypertrophy
    Day 2: Lower Power
    Day 3: Upper Power
    Day 4: Lower Hypertrophy
    Day 5: Extra Hypertrophy

Mainly through discussions in this thread it's become apparent that in three years of lifting I've not gotten properly lean enough for a truly effective bulk, which is the current plan. Been right around 172-173 lbs for the last two weeks. Thinking ~165 will be lean enough to switch to a very lean bulk (thinking +200 calories or less) if I ever get there.

As far as lifting goals, I've always felt I carried extra weight in my lower body so I don't focus much on hypertrophy for squats and deads. As a result I keep the rep ranges a littler lower and weight higher than the program prescribes. This also helps me avoid lower back issues, of which I have a history.

Back in the early fall I pulled (or had a tear in) my left pec that I didn't necessarily give enough time to heal and kept trying to lift through it. That knocked my bench numbers and overall chest development back a bit, still about 30lbs off my previous max but creeping my way back. Otherwise, I stick to the long-term bro-tastic goals of a bigger upper body and a general pursuit of the classic superhero look. I only recently got a belt for weighted pull ups and been really been enjoying them. As far as benchmarks, I'm getting close to the body weight equivalent shoulder press, which would be nice. My deadlift should be higher relative to my other lifts and I'd like to crack 400 at some point; 405 and I could check off the 1/2/3/4 plate mark off the list.

Current calculated maxes [lbs] at 173
    *per Symmetric Strength
    Back Squat: 354 lbs[Proficient]
    Deadlift: 360 lbs[Intermediate]
    Bench Press: 256 lbs[Proficient]
    Overhead Press: 169 lbs[Proficient]
    Pull-up: 105 lbs added[Proficient]
    Pendlay Row: 207 lbs[Proficient]
  • steveko89
    Options
    But I realized I love hip thrusting 3-4x per week

... so many jokes to make, so little time
  • sardelsa
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    But I realized I love hip thrusting 3-4x per week

... so many jokes to make, so little time

I don't joke around about my glute work :p
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yea that sounds intense. I get bored easily too . I used to be such a program hopper in the past. But I realized I love hip thrusting 3-4x per week and most programs don't do that.

Why don't you just redo parts of your previous program?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Why don't you just redo parts of your previous program?

I can. I loved having a new cycle each month with different variations and all. But what I will probably do is go back to the months I really enjoyed and make changes as I go.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just started my cut this week...

I was up 9lbs in my bulk (2/3 of the way to my goal) when life got in the way and I decided to cut it short and maintain during the craziness.

Now looking to lose 7lbs - :'( Wish I could have gained more muscle than that, but don’t think I did. In a few months we’ll see if I’ve managed to accomplish anything
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I used to have a coach but can't afford it anymore. I ran PH3 and just tested my maxes yesterday. It's 5 days of lifting with a typical (yet aggressive) powerlifting DUP and then a full body building program hitting upper and lower each twice per week. On top of that I circuit train or do some kind of cardio on my rest days.

Trying to decide what to do next. I am chunky but don't seem strong enough for it to pay off. But I'd miss powerlifting/squatting 3x per week if I were to pick a body building program :(
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ended my cut Friday or maybe it was Saturday morning at breakfast. Comparison photo from November 2017 and Saturday is below. I weigh .5 pound less now than November, but allowing for margin of error I'd call it the same weight. I can't tell much difference between the two aside from lower BF% and less rounding of my shoulders. So, that was a little disappointing. Aside from the photos, I can tell a difference looking in the mirror and seeing more definition. I also broke out the tape measure today. I lost a full inch from my waist. I gained .5 inch in my shoulders, chest, and biceps. Across my hips and glutes, I gained a full inch. Tale of the tape says success. I'm going to be at maintenance this week. Vacation the week after, hopefully around maintenance or so that week but probably several beers over maintenance. B)

As for my next program, I have designed my own. This cut has made apparent some imbalances and problems. My posture, in particular, sucks. I also developed impingements in both shoulders. And my injured patellar tendon has limited lower body development, resulting in my upper body being more developed. So, the program will address all of that through a 4-day upper-lower split. Following the recent research, I'll be working on hypertrophy through primarily volume increases rather than intensity increases. Diet-wise I'll be eating at a bulky maintenance.

vso62xj23fif.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Powerlifting specific plan, created by my coach. Goals are all powerlifting related (except the one where I want to do a pull-up with 45 lbs added. I'm at 25 lbs currently).

I have accidentally bulked beyond my comfort zone. 185.4 this morning. Mid-170's is where I feel pretty comfortable without losing strength. Back on a stupid cut. :'(
  • steveko89
    Options
    Hope everyone's doing well. Overall, I've been alright, but this perma-cut is just wearing on me. I finished June pretty well and crept my moving average down to right at 173 for the first time since March. However, since the fourth I've been really struggling with adherence and I'm averaging +250 cal/day over TDEE for the last two weeks. Holiday gatherings and work functions this week certainly haven't been my friend but they're things for which I should've/could've been better prepared and choices that resembled steering into the skid more than an attempt at mitigating damage. I'm waffling about just staying the course and trying to force myself to be more accountable or trying something like PSMF or RFL, not because they're magic, but because I feel like I'm not trustworthy to make the correct adult decisions and not eat like a kid who just got back from fat camp if presented with the opportunity to do so.

Any and all insight appreciated, as always. Curious whether those here think I need to be talked down from this ledge or just shoved off.
  • sardelsa
    edited July 2018
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Hope everyone's doing well. Overall, I've been alright, but this perma-cut is just wearing on me. I finished June pretty well and crept my moving average down to right at 173 for the first time since March. However, since the fourth I've been really struggling with adherence and I'm averaging +250 cal/day over TDEE for the last two weeks. Holiday gatherings and work functions this week certainly haven't been my friend but they're things for which I should've/could've been better prepared and choices that resembled steering into the skid more than an attempt at mitigating damage. I'm waffling about just staying the course and trying to force myself to be more accountable or trying something like PSMF or RFL, not because they're magic, but because I feel like I'm not trustworthy to make the correct adult decisions and not eat like a kid who just got back from fat camp if presented with the opportunity to do so.

Any and all insight appreciated, as always. Curious whether those here think I need to be talked down from this ledge or just shoved off.

Yea this time around is hard for me too. I am going to have an official diet break starting July 20th for about a week or so. I don't even feel like I've earned a diet break because my deficit is so small, I am not even that lean, it's will be 11 weeks at that point which is probably a good time to do it. But I am going to give it a try because I know come week 16 I will feel burnt out and it will be too late.

But anyhow hopefully you can find something that works. For some being very strict for a shorter period of time can help
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am in the final stages of tweaking my workout. Diet went pretty well this week on UD2, so i feel i can be compliant on it. Sunday i leave for Italy for work, ao after i get back, will be hard core UD2.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am in the final stages of tweaking my workout. Diet went pretty well this week on UD2, so i feel i can be compliant on it. Sunday i leave for Italy for work, ao after i get back, will be hard core UD2.

Oh wow Italy... how long are you going for? I hope you enjoy all the food, I am jealous!