Why eating too little calories is a bad idea.....

Options

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever have a hard time getting enough calories is illness. Nasty stomach bugs leave me in severe deficit for a few days, but then I do make up those calories the few days after getting better.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    ramakrishnanpravin73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great Information.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Bump
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

I went to a registered dietician on referral from my doctor regarding my weight, and again, all she said was follow the food pyramid, she had little plastic models of food as portion guides, and I went home with no tangible or comprehendible instructions. I went to a healthy cooking class at the community centre run by this dietician that followed the food pyramid, and it made a 600+ calorie meal with no protein, whole wheat pasta, and celery and carrots. I tried asking her about the calories and she said they didn't matter, only matching the servings of vegetables. All the formal nutritional education I've tried to get has been worse than useless and super confusing.

I have seen three dieticians over the years. Two were TERRIFIC. giving me resources, plans. regular check ins. conconcrete info. One worked with a endocrinologist. The other at a bariatric clinic

the third (who i saw in between the above two) was TERRIBLE. she worked at my family doctor's office. She looked at me and said i'd lost weight before and just do the same. She could add ZERO more information. I left feeling discouraged.

There are some good ones out there...but there are some bad ones too. I'm glad i was able to work with two great ones over the years.

Having said all this - I am having a very very hard time trusting MFP exercise calories and eating more. I am slowly pushing myself to.. The issue isn't that I "can't eat" (I can, i'm a huge eater) but fear of gaining. Baby steps. Possibly too small a step but i have pushed myself to at LEAST take small steps. On the plus side, turns out my logging isn't as good as I thought so there were extra calories out there I was eating and not logging ;) So as i trust the numbers and eat more I need to ensure my logging is also accurate!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

I went to a registered dietician on referral from my doctor regarding my weight, and again, all she said was follow the food pyramid, she had little plastic models of food as portion guides, and I went home with no tangible or comprehendible instructions. I went to a healthy cooking class at the community centre run by this dietician that followed the food pyramid, and it made a 600+ calorie meal with no protein, whole wheat pasta, and celery and carrots. I tried asking her about the calories and she said they didn't matter, only matching the servings of vegetables. All the formal nutritional education I've tried to get has been worse than useless and super confusing.

I have seen three dieticians over the years. Two were TERRIFIC. giving me resources, plans. regular check ins. conconcrete info. One worked with a endocrinologist. The other at a bariatric clinic

the third (who i saw in between the above two) was TERRIBLE. she worked at my family doctor's office. She looked at me and said i'd lost weight before and just do the same. She could add ZERO more information. I left feeling discouraged.

There are some good ones out there...but there are some bad ones too. I'm glad i was able to work with two great ones over the years.

Having said all this - I am having a very very hard time trusting MFP exercise calories and eating more. I am slowly pushing myself to.. The issue isn't that I "can't eat" (I can, i'm a huge eater) but fear of gaining. Baby steps. Possibly too small a step but i have pushed myself to at LEAST take small steps. On the plus side, turns out my logging isn't as good as I thought so there were extra calories out there I was eating and not logging ;) So as i trust the numbers and eat more I need to ensure my logging is also accurate!

I'm glad there are good ones out there! I would look into another one, but she's the only one at my family doctor's office/in my community centre and I'd need a reason for a referral outside and I don't really have one. Also money lol. I didn't have to pay to see her, but an external referral would cost me.

I'm running into similar issues. I was losing too fast and experienced some hair loss, aiming for 1lb/week and losing almost 2lb/week. Trying to up calories without losing myself in old habits and eating a ton and gaining instead is not....going well lol. (Plus my cat just died so I'm like 80% sadness and 20% pizza right now).

Sorry about your kitty