JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    So yesterday my husband, boys and I went to a family BBQ and I had all good intentions not to eat over my calorie limit. I did really well the first half of the day, but by the time all the pot luck dishes arrived and the food was all there, I kind of lost it. LOL

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas/tips on how to keep yourself on track during an occasion like a BBQ or a holiday get-together? I feel like I do pretty well during "normal" days when I'm working from home etc..., but it's the bbqs etc... that still get me. Tips that have worked for any of you would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks! :smile:
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Holy Crow. Since Wednesday there have been 87 posts, although I think that I away more behind then that! Lol.

It has not been a good few days for me. Well, it has been, just not food wise. Work was great TH and F. My HT was off so we had someone cover from a different branch and boy was she helpful! Although I think she may have gotten me sick! Lol. I am taking Tuesday and Wednesday off. So I only have to work M, Th, and F. That makes me really happy. I have a new friend(who I adore) that I met at church. She has a 3 yo and a 1yo that I am spending time with. That's what I did on Wednesday. We went to a local beach that was surprisingly uncrowded and had a blast. I am usually not a beach person at all...like I mean AT ALL. But the water was super warm and I didnt burn. It was just a great day overall.

I got a lot done yesterday although the DH and I overindulged alcohol wise a bit. I ended up going to bed really early. I'm not really supposed to drink on my medication because it makes me super sleepy. 2 beers makes me tried. 3 beers put me to sleep. I had 4. Lol. I laid down for about 2 hours, got back up, hung out with the DH for a while, dozed on the couch and eventually went back to sleep. Lol. But I woke up just fine today. No hangover(I usually dont get one) and it was pretty easy to get out of bed today.

The DH is working this afternoon so today is going to be a cleaning day. I also have to run to Walmart to pick up the DH's medication and some more coffee this morning. So onto the list!

JFT,

1. Pick up DH's med before work
    2. Laundry!
    3. DISHES
    4. Something in the crock
    5. Finish food prep
    6. Sweep
    7. Change garbage
    8. Clean bathroom!!!!!
    9. Nap if desired
    10. Visit Mom

I think that that is all for today.

I hope everyone has a great day!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Just for Yesterday (Sat, 7/8/18)

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal. :)
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening. :)
    3. Drink 80 oz of water. :)
    4. Make split pea soup for next week. :neutral: I made a calculated decision not to do this, as I was feeling extra munchy yesterday and felt that my goals would be better served by staying completely out of the kitchen. I'll make it this morning.
    5. Eat only when hungry. :)
    6. Get out of the house and get some activity. :) Walked and then saw a movie.

Just for Today:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening
    3. Drink 80 oz of water
    4. Make split pea soup
    5. Eat only when hungry
    6. Yoga routine

Great job hitting your goals! What movie did you see?

I saw Ant Man and the Wasp. I am a bit of a Marvel junkie, to be perfectly honest. I thought it was really good!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    sarah74_vt wrote: »
    So yesterday my husband, boys and I went to a family BBQ and I had all good intentions not to eat over my calorie limit. I did really well the first half of the day, but by the time all the pot luck dishes arrived and the food was all there, I kind of lost it. LOL

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas/tips on how to keep yourself on track during an occasion like a BBQ or a holiday get-together? I feel like I do pretty well during "normal" days when I'm working from home etc..., but it's the bbqs etc... that still get me. Tips that have worked for any of you would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks! :smile:

For national holiday type get-togethers, I don't really try to hold it together, apart from making sure I eat plenty of veggies so they take of some higher calorie space. I try to do the "half plate of fruit and veggies" rule, but apart from that I figure a few times a year isn't going to make a dramatic difference in my weight loss goals. Oh, and I try to split dessert with someone. (Although if it's a multi-dessert event sometimes I'll end up having half of two...but that's still better than ALL of two...)

For family BBQs, if you're likely to get together regularly all summer, that's a little tougher. I tend to make poorer decisions if I get too hungry and food is in front of me, so maybe bringing something very low-cal like a tray of cucumbers, bell peppers, and jicama (which are low-cal even by vegetable standards) and munching on it frequently would help? Then you can just choose your favorite one or two dishes to indulge in?
  • auntmosmail
    auntmosmail Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Goals for yesterday:
    Stay under 1409 calories ✔
    Get my shopping done for camp next week: nope! I just couldn't bring myself to do it...

Goals for today:
    Go on a walk
    Stay under 1800 calories (it is my "splurge" day)
    Do all the laundry
    Get shopping done for camp that I didn't do yesterday
    Get some shopping done for my vacation in August
    Make lunches for work this week

It is a big list, but hopefully I'll have the energy to get it all done. If I do, then I will have been moving around for most of the day and will be less likely to overeat. So, here we go!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

JFT
    1. Finish at least 1 liter of water while the sun is up - yes
    2. Log all food - yes
    3. Bring snacks to friend's - yes

JFT
    1. Log all food
    2. Eat breakfast
    3. Be kind
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JFT - Saturday July 7
    2L of Water - :/
    Stay in Green by 150 - :) 190 left
    Outside 15 Minutes :)
    Write in Journal - :)
    Get some activity in somehow - :) 4km walk

JFT - Sunday July 8
    2l of water
    Stay in maintenance calories
    Outside 15 minutes
    Write in Journal
    Rest day for exercise

Today I am taking the kids home then going to my meeting.
    When I get back from that I think I may rearrange my cupboards a bit. Other than that a relaxing day.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options

I have allowed myself one day a week to go into maintenance or a bit over. This allows for days like that. I have also set one day s month and some special days I have coming up as relaxed days. I’ll try to be in maintenance but will allow myself to enjoy the day fully.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @nickssweetheart , glad you enjoyed the movie!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    I went to Aldi this morning to pick up a few things that I didn't buy yesterday and forgot to eat breakfast before, so I've already deviated from my food plan today! Not a great look for the July challenge. I also got a good deal on some beautiful strawberries (99 cents a lb!) so I changed dinner around too.

But a plan is only a plan, it exists to serve me, not the other way around. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options

For the big family holidays, I usually go ahead and eat the things that only get made once or twice a year...like dressing, green bean casserole and cheesy potatoes at Christmas or Thanksgiving. I try to keep my portions to one scoop. But for family cookouts, I usually eat the meat without a bun (hamburgers, brats, hotdogs), cheese & sausage without the crackers...things like that. I try to stick to the fruit and veggie trays and away from the chips and dips. I bring my own drink (water, ice tea, etc) and sometimes snacks too. But I don't beat myself up if I give into the temptation...because a person has to live too, right? Memories are what my kids will remember...not my weight. :smile:
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    Oiy! What a busy day! Although the board doesnt seem too busy today! I hope everyone is out enjoying whatever weather they have today. Lol. I sure did. I took a 1.5-hour walk with my parent's dog in the park by the house. Cleaned the house, did a few loads of laundry, raked part of the front yard and pulled a whole bunch of weeds. I have been meaning to do the raking since the beginning of spring. It was finally nice enough. I have to finish raking and then mow.

The DH is having a rough day at work. Apparently, the store is incredibly busy and extremely shorthanded. He has one hour left at work. I can't wait until he gets home and he has the day off tomorrow. He needs a break. Lol.

I'm bored now though. Lol. I did pretty much everything but finishing the food prep. I dont think I am going to get it done actually. Lol

I hope everyone is having a great night!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Oiy! What a busy day! Although the board doesnt seem too busy today! I hope everyone is out enjoying whatever weather they have today. Lol. I sure did. I took a 1.5-hour walk with my parent's dog in the park by the house. Cleaned the house, did a few loads of laundry, raked part of the front yard and pulled a whole bunch of weeds. I have been meaning to do the raking since the beginning of spring. It was finally nice enough. I have to finish raking and then mow.

The DH is having a rough day at work. Apparently, the store is incredibly busy and extremely shorthanded. He has one hour left at work. I can't wait until he gets home and he has the day off tomorrow. He needs a break. Lol.

Sounds like your DH wasn't the only one working hard today. Sending you both wishes for a relaxing evening together!
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    @nickssweetheart Thank you! We both worked really hard today. The DH didnt leave work until 15 minutes after his scheduled time. But he is home now and doesnt have to go back until Tuesday morning. Lol. We definitely are going to have a relaxing night. Monday night baseball is on right now.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I have been gone since Monday .... and in that time.... there were 135 posts!!! Wow - you guys are all amazing! I still have to go back through and catch up on what I have missed!

And .... here should be my drum roll .... my weight this morning was 189.2 pounds! You guys that have been with me know how long I have been trying to get out of the 190s! Like all year!!! LOL!!! So I am officially just 11 pounds before I can be out of the "overweight" charts.
    I came back to find your wonderfully splendiforous post! Totally made my day.

I am so excited for you! Wow! So impressed and happy and well, everything! YEA for YOU.
    ua1pn9o3b7ye.png

• HGSmith0920
    Options
    JFT,

1. Pick up DH's med before work :star:
    2. Laundry! :star:
    3. DISHES :star:Only have the crock pot left and it is soaking
    4. Something in the crock :star:
    5. Finish food prep :anguished:
    6. Sweep :star:
    9. Change garbage :star:
    10. Clean bathroom!!!!! :star:
    11. Nap if desired :expressionless:Decided not to
    12. Visit Mom :star:Several times actually. Lol

Had a really active day today. If you see my above post. I did laundry up at Mom's house and chatted with her a few times. It was good. I ended up not taking a nap and instead went outside to work in the yard. We had a little forest growing over our front step so I ripped the whole thing out. I have to move a big heavy wooden step to be able to rip out the roots. It grows very quickly and pervasively. I also raked a whole bunch. My yard is completely covered in shade from very tall trees so my yard is mostly fallen leaves and weeds. Lol. I want to spend some more time tidying it up. I probably should have done it in the spring but the bugs were SO bad that it was insane and now they aren't too bad but it's like 100F every day. I can't seem to win. Hopefully, I'll get a few more days of nice weather over the coming weeks. For dinner, I just threw things into the crock pot but it was amazing! It was 2.5lbs of boneless chicken breasts, a can of fat-free cream of chicken soup, a packet of dry ranch dressing mix, 2/3 cup chicken broth, 4 oz of cream cheese and 2 cups of cooked rigatoni pasta. It was super creamy. A tad high calorically but definitely filling. It also makes a pretty big batch.

So on to my list for tomorrow.

JFT, 7/9/18

1. Up @ 6
    2. Yoga-Need to get back into this
    3. JFT while at work
    4. Look over severely screwed up budget
    5. Dinner(Taco Turkey and Rice)
    6. Call Dr. C
    7. DH time
    8. Shower/Teeth/Face
    9. Bed whenever

Hope everyone is having a great night!
  • HGSmith0920
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Oh yeah...I wanted to put this out there. I know I shouldn't but I feel kind of ashamed about it. In the last 6 weeks, I've gained back about 8 pounds. I know a lot of it is water weight. We've been eating a lot of takeout over the last few weeks. I need to get out the habit of doing that and back into eating healthier and moving more. I also think that I am going to keep my gym membership current and actually make time to do it!

On June 1 I was 148.8
    On June 21 I was 151.5
    On July 8 I was 159.7

So today I am starting over again. I am determined to get back to 148!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @HGSmith0920 - no doubt your gain is mostly water but either way you’ve caught it early and are back on track which is fab! Realistically the worst you’ve done is set yourself back a couple of days. And entirely understandable when you’ve had house guests as well as work to contend with!

Don’t feel ashamed - ups and downs are part of life. Get back on it without a second thought! X
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I forgot to get back on here last night. Yesterday was ok - weather extremely hot so it was super tempting just to lie around doing nothing! But the girls and I got a couple of walks in and played around spraying water in the garden so had some fun. I did a little BBQ for us and it was yummy. I have a tough work week this week. More juggling as I have events for my school and the girls have things I need to attend as well so yet again lots of running around.

Recap Sunday goals
    - morning workout ✅
    - April challenge ✅
    - May challenge ✅
    - June challenge ✅
    - July challenge ✅
    - Firm up plans for the rest of the term :/ does “just get through it” count as a plan???
    - Early night ✅

Goals for Monday
    - morning workout
    - L graduation show
    - Leave show on time/early to get to work by 10:45
    - April challenge
    - May challenge
    - June challenge
    - July challenge ✅ pre-logged most of it
    - Go from work to central London for gift voucher
    - Thank you card
    - Early night

Have a great start to the week everyone! X
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I wanted to put this out there. I know I shouldn't but I feel kind of ashamed about it. In the last 6 weeks, I've gained back about 8 pounds. I know a lot of it is water weight. We've been eating a lot of takeout over the last few weeks. I need to get out the habit of doing that and back into eating healthier and moving more. I also think that I am going to keep my gym membership current and actually make time to do it!

On June 1 I was 148.8
    On June 21 I was 151.5
    On July 8 I was 159.7

So today I am starting over again. I am determined to get back to 148!

Absolutely NOTHING to be embarrassed about! Life happens. It's what we do after it happens that matters, and you caught it! hugs to you! Missed you!