Support that Doesn't Focus on Challenges but on Relationship

Options

Replies

• campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't usually spend this much time on a thread. Once a day is fine for me, maybe twice if there is something really great to share, but if you keep it up for people to see frequently they are more likely to stop by and chat, so I'm trying to help us all by keeping it up near the top. I need all the support and motivation I can get!
  • luv2walk84
    luv2walk84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Morning!
    Thought I would quickly check in, say Hi, and see where everyone is at this Sunday morning! I seem to be down a pound, which I will gladly take. The scale hasnt really moved for me in weeks, so I am glad to see it isnt broken anymore. Plans for today include packing for our trip tomorrow to see our daughter and her family in MO. Lots to try to get done today. UGH. We will be gone for a few days, so I may not check in until later in the week.
    Have a good Sunday all.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @luv2walk84 You guys have a great trip and be safe! I had lunch with a dear friend after church today and my plan for the afternoon was to rest but that hasn't happened yet. Had lots of catch up to do on FB and stuff, but my hips are hurting from all the sitting I've been doing today, so I'm going to go and stretch out for a little rest and then I need to pack also for a trip to my daughter's for the week. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can get in lots of pool time for pool exercise and family fun! Check in when you can!
  • happyanxietyca
    happyanxietyca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Holly! 👋 I want the same thing, no Beach Body, It Works or Le-Vel.... just straight trying to be fit and healthy with normal real life support.
  • campfirequeen1
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi @happyanxietyca, yep that's what I'm all about! Welcome and come back and be part of the group!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Haven't been on much due to being away for the holiday with my family. It's been very hot and humid but we've had a great time in the pool. Lots of summer time foods. Today I made a kale salad for lunch and had a small skinless, boneless grilled chicken thigh. It was light enough and very delicious. We had left overs from yesterdays BBQ for dinner plus I made a big fruit salad with mango, watermelon and fresh pineapple for dinner and so that was really refreshing. I enjoy the lighter eating of summer!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have bone on bone knee arthritis. I am always up for supportive friends! I do CrossFit as my exercise and love it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Whoa Nelly, is it a scorcher outside or what. Last week was 34 F. @ night and 50-ish during the day. It rained for days and days. It jumped up 44 degrees to 94 F. in a day's time. I came back early the from the woods. The 'squitoes were biting me and my dog alive. We're perforated from the top of our heads to the bottom of our feet. Those mosquitoes whining in our ears were driving us cray cray. Bears were hungry, tearing up tents and invading picnics. Bear spray didn't deter them one iota. It's been such a bizarre summer. I was on the Canadian border so there was almost 2 extra hours of daylight, still light at 11:00 p.m.

I maintained and it was enough. I'll catch all of you on the flip-flop. Tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR49zQkihDI[/url]

• Diatonic12
    Options
    @AmberGlitterSparkles Are you out there. It's vacation time for many but I'm tooling on. I'm all about relationship and connection. Some say the meaning of life is to belong and that begets happiness.

I'm through with dieting and that makes me happy, too. I grew up in the midst of the piney woods and blue ribbon trout streams. I'm used to not traveling with the herd or running with the pack but connection is strong medicine. I know how to fish, put up a shelter and take care of myself. Where I'm from this is commonplace for women and men. No GPS coordinates because I don't want anymore company for crying outloud. Another relative decided to blow in at the last minute from Texas. No warning just flying in on a jetstream.

My relatives use me as a motel in the summertime. So I simply get in my car and head further north. I pay a very high price for about 2 months of summer. It doesn't stop snowing until Memorial Day and starts right back up again on Labor Day. I pay the price and they take advantage. There, I said it.

I will tell you this much. I grew up at Old Faithful Geyser. Not just for the summer months but we lived there all year 'round. The jewel of the national park service is my home and it belongs all to me. I only allow the tourists to come there but they are stomping it into dust. Every year brings another million or more than the previous year. It makes me very sad to see the campgrounds literally stomped into the texture of baby powder.

looser-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793772[img]. There's alot of things I could say but we simply haven't got the time. Geology and seismology are my hobbies. I keep my ear to the ground and watch earthquakes all over the world on various sites. I love geysers and mudpots, trees and squirrels, the little foxes and pine martens. I've seen my share of grizzly bears and I'm more afraid of the big city than the backcountry. It does take true grit to live out here but so does the city. I loathe dieting with all of my being. I can't stand dieting tricks. There's always another food hack coming around the corner. I've been duped by all of them and that was my fault. It won't happen again because all of the mistakes I've made = experience. So come back. Let's mill around and shoot the breeze. I like talking things through. I can't follow menu plans written by other people. Tracking data points is the only equipment I need. Tracking is a cognitive behavior that is not difficult to adopt. It will give you confidence. Your tolerance for cravings and indifference for old food triggers is a muscle that will grow stronger with use. Give yourself permission to have anything you want and do absolutely everything on your own terms. Reasonable restriction is not the same as overrestriction. Not by a long shot. Giving yourself permission is the first part of the journey and how I parted ways with dieting. All of the permission belongs to me. You can learn to moderate yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYepdbTIog[/url][/img]
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Hey Guys! I'm back home and it's been a tough day pain wise but I'm planning to go to the pool tomorrow. I haven't been logging my food this week but I will start back tomorrow. Haven't been on the scale so I don't know how that is but I'm very happy with the food choices I've been making!
    Welcome @dnunny70 ! Yeah that bone on bone is rough! I'm dealing with it in the knees.
    @Mari22na Glad to see you back in for a chat. The biters are out here too, especially with all the rain we've had and hot weather. They can cramp your style for sure. Hungry bears sounds like a good reason to evacuate! It sounds like you must have a great place if the relatives come in! I love cold weather and when I was younger and could still ski, it was my favorite season, so I could deal with a long winter! You are definitely an interesting person and I love to read the things you tell us! Yellowstone is still on my bucket list.
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 Yay! You're home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

Kevin-2.jpg[img]Crank up the band, let's get this party started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gS6NucKt20[/url][/img]
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. Thought I’d stop by and say hello! My name’s Allison.

It’s another nice weather day where I am. Going to hit the pool again in a bit. A few years ago, I would go lap swimming at the Y. I had bought goggles and ear plugs. I can’t for the life of me find them. I don’t know where I put them. I hate that. They will turn up one day - hopefully before I cave and buy new ones.

Sometimes I miss going to the Y - because they have the pool and also fitness classes. Although, the pool lanes would sometimes get busy, and we’d all have to share a lane with someone. One time, I had to share with 2 other people. It sucked. I like to have my own lane. I don’t want to worry about crashing into someone else.

I dream about getting a job at the Y - and imagining that they have free memberships for employees. Haha. I don’t know if they do, but I can imagine it.

I had planned on making pineapple muffins yesterday - but I forgot to bring my muffin tin. We’re staying at our summer place this weekend. I found a decent pan to use - so I made a pineapple crumb cake instead. It came out great.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Right back at you, Allison. Swimming, swimming, swimming. I like to stay in my own lane. It's the best on these hot summer days. Our rec center had employee perks but someone complained and now they don't. No free lunch, no free membership.

I stay in my own lane, keep my eyes on my own plate and tracking keeps me from meandering too far outside of my normal river banks. I find writing feelings, fears, hopes and general thoughts on just about everything is an invaluable tool. Plus, it will keep your hands and mind busy during some inevitable rough patches on the pathway to overall health and well being.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

Been doing ok. Went for dr. Appointment check ups. The scale hasn’t moved, but down a dress size.

Had to up my thyroid medication—I have had hypothyroidism for 19 years.

Getting ready to go on vacation—my 30th high school reunion! I will make good food choices!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @Mari22na I totally agree with you about the writing of things ! Very beneficial. It's amazing how many times I look back at something I wrote when I was in an off state of mind - and then find it no longer applies and I feel so differently.

@dnunny70 Congrats on being down a dress size! I'm hypothyroid, too - my med's been the same dosage for a while. Enjoy your vacay!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Hi @allison8668 and welcome to the group. Hey yeah girl, I dream too! Yes, I love the swim lanes and because I'm retired I can usually get there at a time when they aren't crowded. The indoor pool has five or six lanes and the outdoor pool has two or three.
    I have hypothyroid medication too, but I have to keep the dose really low or I have GI problems from it, and I have to keep my sodium intake low due to Congestive Heart failure, and that just makes the hypothyroidism worse, so it's sort of a balancing act for me. Thankfully I'm pretty good at doing that thanks to this site and the logging of nutrients being so easy!
    @dnunny70 Congrats. I love those non scale victories!!! A dress size is a really good loss.
    Hope everyone has a great Sunday! I'm going to head in and take a nap before I head to the pool.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @allison8668
    I'm irrigating outside and watching Fried Green Tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedsblplSMg[/url]
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I don't like most of the challenges either, or the competitiveness. My only competition is me. Can I do pull-ups, can I run a 10k... Nope, well back to the gym I go and continue to eat at a deficit.
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm challenge and diet free. It's taken over a decade to get here and I'm not going back.

Why I can hardly stand to read about a new book that promises the secret keys to solving everyone's issues with food and weight. Some of these new eating protocol books being touted are a downright cover for their own disordered eating. They promise everyone the moon but secretly they're only eating one bowl of food aday or have dialed food down into something to be despised. They may Chew and Spit, take 2 or 3 bites and throw the rest in the trash. That's a code that those with disordered eating live by. All of it will get you nowhere good. That's not ninja thinking.

Common horse sense is alot like deodorant. Those who need it the most seldom use it. That can result in more stinkin' thinkin'. Leading everyone down the primrose path to nowhere. We all have to give ourselves permission to do our own thinking. Use our heads besides something to part our ears with. We are all in this together and when we put our heads together, there ain't nothin' we can't do. There's safety in numbers and boundaries.

That's why I like this joint. You've got some folks who've experimented and explored. They know the difference between horse sense and horsesheet. That's pretty major. I've been duped by diets and I'm not going down that trail again.

And now, I have to have a lil tune because that's just the way I tick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_45jbE5_Y8[/url]
  • campfirequeen1
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hey Mari22na is that you riding that beautiful mule? A town down south of Nashville has Mule Day every year and I love to go there and see them. They are so beautiful.

@VUA21 I think even I could make the Turtle Running Team! Welcome!