Discouraged... Results NOT coming after nearly 3 weeks...

Options
124»

Replies

• kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say what a few people have said already - it looks like you aren't eating enough! MFP has already built in a deficit without considering exercise. So when you exercise, you need to eat back at least some of those calories to replace what you burned.

As far as wine goes - you certainly don't need to give up wine. However, wine should not BE your dinner, as it appears it is some nights! Wine should go WITH a healthy dinner - get some protein, carbs, veggies, fruits, etc.

All that said, 4.5 pounds in 2 weeks is perfect. Don't beat yourself up!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd encourage you to read this

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

It is a link that contains many, many links from the MFP gurus that we have all come to love and respect for their thoughs, ideas and knowledge.

Eating back the calories is a little (alot actually) controversial around here. What I figured out is that if you have over 100 or so to lose then you have the wiggle room to healthfully NOT eat them back...that is you have plenty of fat reserves to help out when you don't eat enough caloires of food. Less than 100 or so pounds to lose, well, the body tends to stall out on weight loss. And, before I start an opinion riot here - I will qualify that and say it IS different for everyone, this is a general idea.

I'm gonna guess that if your NET for the day is 600-1000 cals, you are likely under what your body wants.

In my experience, it is all about being as accurate as you can be (without going bonkers of course).

:tongue: Read some of the above links for more info - trust the process and don't worry about the vacations and bathing suits.....just plot points for now!
  • sittoojo5
    sittoojo5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    YUP, I'm with the others that say you are NOT eating enough - your body goes into "starvation mode" and lives off the fat already stored. Also 4 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks is great! I've just started with MFPand love love love it, especially for keeping track of food calories and exercise. I'm a 66 year old woman who has been yo-yo dieting all my life. I've finally realized that the only way to do it is to change your lifestyle completely, EATING RIGHT (but not giving up anything) and exercising. Moderation is the key. I've lost 29 lbs since January - eating 1200 + cals a day and again exercising including aerobics, kick boxing, circuit training, step, 3 times a week and loving every minute of it. ALSO, I joined a great weight loss suppport group Take Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS) that meets weekly. Weigh in and a great group of people to talk things over with - all in the same boat. Look it up on their website at www.topsclub.org - good luck!
  • LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Your right someone is going to tell you to suck it up. SUCK it up. With that 4 lbs in just over weeks is not a bad start. might be slow to you, but others on here would love to see that. Granted you wanted to see more. Those lbs didnt go on in a 2 week period, all the lbs you want to lose are not going to come off in a two week period.
  • LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Your right someone is going to tell you to suck it up. SUCK it up. With that 4 lbs in just over weeks is not a bad start. might be slow to you, but others on here would love to see that. Granted you wanted to see more. Those lbs didnt go on in a 2 week period, all the lbs you want to lose are not going to come off in a two week period.

Yes, I am one of those that would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see that result!!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Just going to chime in to the OP that 4 lbs in 2.5 weeks is 1.6lbs a week average. That's a GREAT loss. You are succeeding with this. You're making good progress.

The person on that first page that said 3lbs in 5 weeks...that's 0.6 lbs a week. That is also GOOD progress.

Losing weight is not a sprint. It's a marathon. Be patient and continue to eat right and get exercise in. It pays off.
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    Options
    He he he (yep, you guys have helped me to even crack a smile today)..... Just wanted to point out that sometimes I track my food in the wrong section, just because it's easier to find the food I want to log in the "wrong" section. Meaning - I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. =) Although it sometimes looks that way, I do NOT just have wine for dinner... ;-)

I thought that I was being REASONABLE with wanting to lose 10lbs per month, given my favorite Biggest Loser peeps would lose 5lbs+/week at my weight, but maybe even THAT is too much to ask for....

You guys ROCK!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing about Biggest Loser: They're working out 6-8 hours a day burning probably 5,000 calories a day and then eating 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day.

You would easily drop 5 pounds a week doing that. But do you really want to (and realistically, CAN YOU) do that?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    He he he (yep, you guys have helped me to even crack a smile today)..... Just wanted to point out that sometimes I track my food in the wrong section, just because it's easier to find the food I want to log in the "wrong" section. Meaning - I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. =) Although it sometimes looks that way, I do NOT just have wine for dinner... ;-)

I thought that I was being REASONABLE with wanting to lose 10lbs per month, given my favorite Biggest Loser peeps would lose 5lbs+/week at my weight, but maybe even THAT is too much to ask for....

You guys ROCK!

That is my issue with BL. It tends to set up unrealistic and unhealthy expecations. First, you aren't on BL so you don't have the same advantages - ie being able to dedicate 24/7 to the weight loss, no dietitians making/monitoring your meals, no trainer helping you develop a perfect plan, no distractions, etc.

But also, most of the people on BL have more to lose and therefore can lose a bit faster in the beginning. For what you have to lose, 1.5 lbs per week is most realistic - you may get away with 2 lbs per week, but it's pretty aggressive. You don't have enough to lose to expect more than that without some unintended (and undesirable) consequences, such as decreased metabolism and feelings of deprivation ---- which you're already going through, from what you've said. The higher your bodyfat %, the faster you can physically lose, when all conditions are ideal. But there are a lot of other factors to consider if you want to actually maintain the weight loss and create a healthy lifestyle (most of the contestants do not maintain their losses).

May help to read this to understand why rapid weight loss isn't really desirable, even if it is possible.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    SheehyCFC nailed it. If you can, invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to get a closer idea of how many calories you're REALLY burning.

And I encourage you to just let go of the stress. Life's too short ... and there are way better ways to use that energy than letting stress drain it away.

Stay the course ... you'll get there.
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    After reading your diary, you are eating to few calories. Up your intake of calories to 1300 and you should be fine. If you are eating to few calories, your body goes into starvation mode! Remember drink lots of water!!!!

^^ Agreed. Under 1200 cal/day is not healthy, especially for women! Giving yourself just wine and celery for dinner is not going to fuel you! Your body is saying "Hey, not sure when I will get some fuel food, better hang onto as much as I can!"

EDIT: Saw your comment about tracking food where they are convenient to find...I hear ya on that! I add them where I can find them on my phone and edit the category later. :) Anyways, best of luck...I am sure you have the dedication to succeed!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree that some might be muscle gained. But I feel you. It is frustrating. I have an underactive thyroid so it's taken me months to lose 10 pounds. And then I gain back despite sticking to diet and exercise. But you have to stick with it because a little is better than nothing.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    He he he (yep, you guys have helped me to even crack a smile today)..... Just wanted to point out that sometimes I track my food in the wrong section, just because it's easier to find the food I want to log in the "wrong" section. Meaning - I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. =)

When I saw you had Chipotle one day for breakfast I figured that must be what you're doing! :laugh:
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest having protein with breakfast. Also, I weigh every morning but only "count" the Monday weight, otherwise I drive myself nuts. I do find it interesting to keep track of daily weights and see what effect a high sodium meal has on my body and how long it takes the water weight to drop. But I don't consider it a gain unless it is still there Monday.