mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    The rest of what you said is true. However, the bolded is editorial comment. If you have proof in terms of a meta analysis or multiple studies and scholarly please post them but I believe we have had this conversation before and that statement boils down to your opinion for an otherwise healthy individual.

For some reason you object to a Ketogenic diet being healthful? I'm not saying that it is the only way to gain better health, nor did I say it was the best way. It Is a diet that can lead to better health for people with insulin resistance (diabetes, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLD and Alzheimer's, as well as the associated CVD) and it can help some with treating some chronic health problems like some autoimmune issues, epilepsy, brain injury, etc. That's not just opinion.

When people are healthy, it helps with weight management. Thats been seen to be true too.

Again, I did not say keto was best, or the only way. It is just one way for some to achieve weight loss and some better health. I said, "for weight loss, the main benefits are usually a decreased appetite and often better health (which tends to make weight management easier)."

I don't keep meta analysis bookmarked to show strangers on the interwebz that better health can make weight management easier or that keto is able to make improvements in some people's health.

often better health suggests that anyone who does a keto diet could see and is likely to see health improvements. Are you saying those health benefits would begin even if a person does not have insulin resistance?

For some, yes.
    How would you differentiate the health benefits of keto from those resulting from weight loss alone?

If there is a benefit without weight loss, then you know. Improved BG control is common even without weight loss.
    Why do you think the health benefits make weight management easier and not the other way around?

It can work the other way around too. I did not say it could not.

So the “some” people who might experience better health as a result of the diet are those who have Insulun Resistance. Why not mention that detail when you say “often leads to health improvements for those who are IR. By leaving off this important detail it suggests to people like the OP, or anyone who is considering the diet for weight loss because of all the hype they hear IRL, that they will experience it. The OP mentioned nothing of a medical condition that suggests low carb may provide benefits to that condition - but the vague and sweeping generalization of “often better health” sounds tempting for anyone.

Again, it is the unproven claims of miracle cures, vague “better health” and the suggestion that keto/IR negates the news for a calorie deficit that will always get challenged. It just doesn’t do the keto community who do have legit reasons and good success with the diet a favor when the overzealous claims imply benefits that won’t happen, and will invite challenges from those who know this is an overstatement.

^^Exactly!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So my step mother and a few friends have actually lost tons of weight by doing keto! My problem is that I’m a vegetarian so I’m not sure if keto would really work for me? I haven’t looked too much into it. Thought I’d check here and see if anyone has any success stories or if there are any vegetarian ways of doing it!

Pros are obviously multiple people I know personally who it’s worked for!

Cons the whole only fat thing has me sort of skeptical because I love fresh veggies and salads (again I haven’t looked too much into it I’m not sure how it all works or why I can eat)

My family and I have been talking about it lately anyone have any advice?

I’ve been doing the cabbage soup diet and it’s been GREAT for me! Although it’s not exactly a long term type of diet and I’m looking for a lifestyle change something that I can really commit to!

TIA!!

-chels

I do indeed follow Keto. And, I love it. I do this, for full disclosure, because of high A1C. I love carbs...really do...but they are not so kind to this guy!

I will suggest this, though. It is not the diet - no matter what it is called - that creates weight loss. It is eating in a caloric deficit. Plain and simple. All of the "diet" stuff is simple a way to help you to maintain your caloric deficit. So, I would suggest that you find something that works for you....point blank and period.

Now, I must be doing something wrong because I eat at least three salads a day. I just put on some amazing and fatty salad dressing (think blue cheese or sweet idalia onion or whatever) and go to town. I will also out some New York Sharp Cheddar Cheese on it, some boiled eggs on it...some sliced boiled eggs on it...

And, I do eat veggies. Usually, when I do have "veggies" I will eat brocholli or asparagus. I do not eat veggies every day....but likely five out of seven days.

The thing about Keto that is so difficult (let's be honest....cutting down to 20g of Carbs a day *CAN* be tough) is that it is so restrictive. It is possible to consume - depending on the type of Keto that you are following (there are - and I believe that most people would agree with this - four types of Keto....when most people talk about Keto, per - se, then they are likely talking about the Standard Ketogenic Diet. That is the 20g of Carbs...roughly....or, 75% of your calories come from Fats, 20% come from Protein and that 5% come from Carbs).

I might suggest that you - as I have said a few times in this post - find what works for you. This is all about sustainability. This is all about compliance. This is all about "healthy". I mean, if you can follow a way of eating that you absolutely HATE but you force yourself to follow that way of eating because it works then I would suggest that eventually you will "fail" and that what you have been doing was unhealthy.

Does this make sense?

Great post. Thanks for the transparency, I’m sure info like this is helpful for anyone considering, but not sure about keto.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So my step mother and a few friends have actually lost tons of weight by doing keto! My problem is that I’m a vegetarian so I’m not sure if keto would really work for me? I haven’t looked too much into it. Thought I’d check here and see if anyone has any success stories or if there are any vegetarian ways of doing it!

Pros are obviously multiple people I know personally who it’s worked for!

Cons the whole only fat thing has me sort of skeptical because I love fresh veggies and salads (again I haven’t looked too much into it I’m not sure how it all works or why I can eat)

My family and I have been talking about it lately anyone have any advice?

I’ve been doing the cabbage soup diet and it’s been GREAT for me! Although it’s not exactly a long term type of diet and I’m looking for a lifestyle change something that I can really commit to!

TIA!!

-chels

I do indeed follow Keto. And, I love it. I do this, for full disclosure, because of high A1C. I love carbs...really do...but they are not so kind to this guy!

I will suggest this, though. It is not the diet - no matter what it is called - that creates weight loss. It is eating in a caloric deficit. Plain and simple. All of the "diet" stuff is simple a way to help you to maintain your caloric deficit. So, I would suggest that you find something that works for you....point blank and period.

Now, I must be doing something wrong because I eat at least three salads a day. I just put on some amazing and fatty salad dressing (think blue cheese or sweet idalia onion or whatever) and go to town. I will also out some New York Sharp Cheddar Cheese on it, some boiled eggs on it...some sliced boiled eggs on it...

And, I do eat veggies. Usually, when I do have "veggies" I will eat brocholli or asparagus. I do not eat veggies every day....but likely five out of seven days.

The thing about Keto that is so difficult (let's be honest....cutting down to 20g of Carbs a day *CAN* be tough) is that it is so restrictive. It is possible to consume - depending on the type of Keto that you are following (there are - and I believe that most people would agree with this - four types of Keto....when most people talk about Keto, per - se, then they are likely talking about the Standard Ketogenic Diet. That is the 20g of Carbs...roughly....or, 75% of your calories come from Fats, 20% come from Protein and that 5% come from Carbs).

I might suggest that you - as I have said a few times in this post - find what works for you. This is all about sustainability. This is all about compliance. This is all about "healthy". I mean, if you can follow a way of eating that you absolutely HATE but you force yourself to follow that way of eating because it works then I would suggest that eventually you will "fail" and that what you have been doing was unhealthy.

Does this make sense?

Great post. Thanks for the transparency, I’m sure info like this is helpful for anyone considering, but not sure about keto.

Thank you, lady! There is a lot of "interesting ideas" out there about Keto. When I started investigating this, because of the high A1C, I was overwhelmed with tons and tons of absolutely garbage information. Of course, when you know absolutely nothing about a given topic it is really challenging to determine what is valid information and what is "a sales pitch". I find - and this applies to just about everything out there....we just happen to be talking about Keto - that there are a lot of people out there with an Agenda. I like to follow the "follow the money" train of thought. It helped me to filter out that "garbage information".

I try to be open and honest and share my experiences and to paint a little bit of a picture about myself. I am "off"....in that I can eat the same food for lunch (for example) every day of the year. Pretty sure that most can not do that. I can. That might be useful information about me....and provide some insight into the info that I am providing.

Anyway, I also try to stay out of the "discussions" about Keto. General comment. There are a ton of ignorant people out there (notice that I did not say "stupid"....ignorant is totally different) and a lot of really smart people out there. Sometimes it is a challenge to make the distinction. My daddy taught me something really important a long time ago: Don't ever argue with a fool....people will eventually not be able to distinguish who the fool is.

Anyway, I hope that this helps. Keto is amazing - for me. But, it is really restrictive. And, it is not a magic pill. That does not exist. No matter what anyone says (remember, "follow the money"). Enjoy! I am going to go eay some bacon and eggs now! All this talk about Keto has made my mouth water! :-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The rest of what you said is true. However, the bolded is editorial comment. If you have proof in terms of a meta analysis or multiple studies and scholarly please post them but I believe we have had this conversation before and that statement boils down to your opinion for an otherwise healthy individual.

For some reason you object to a Ketogenic diet being healthful? I'm not saying that it is the only way to gain better health, nor did I say it was the best way. It Is a diet that can lead to better health for people with insulin resistance (diabetes, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLD and Alzheimer's, as well as the associated CVD) and it can help some with treating some chronic health problems like some autoimmune issues, epilepsy, brain injury, etc. That's not just opinion.

When people are healthy, it helps with weight management. Thats been seen to be true too.

Again, I did not say keto was best, or the only way. It is just one way for some to achieve weight loss and some better health. I said, "for weight loss, the main benefits are usually a decreased appetite and often better health (which tends to make weight management easier)."

I don't keep meta analysis bookmarked to show strangers on the interwebz that better health can make weight management easier or that keto is able to make improvements in some people's health.

often better health suggests that anyone who does a keto diet could see and is likely to see health improvements. Are you saying those health benefits would begin even if a person does not have insulin resistance?

For some, yes.
    How would you differentiate the health benefits of keto from those resulting from weight loss alone?

If there is a benefit without weight loss, then you know. Improved BG control is common even without weight loss.
    Why do you think the health benefits make weight management easier and not the other way around?

It can work the other way around too. I did not say it could not.

So the “some” people who might experience better health as a result of the diet are those who have Insulun Resistance. Why not mention that detail when you say “often leads to health improvements for those who are IR. By leaving off this important detail it suggests to people like the OP, or anyone who is considering the diet for weight loss because of all the hype they hear IRL, that they will experience it. The OP mentioned nothing of a medical condition that suggests low carb may provide benefits to that condition - but the vague and sweeping generalization of “often better health” sounds tempting for anyone.

Again, it is the unproven claims of miracle cures, vague “better health” and the suggestion that keto/IR negates the news for a calorie deficit that will always get challenged. It just doesn’t do the keto community who do have legit reasons and good success with the diet a favor when the overzealous claims imply benefits that won’t happen, and will invite challenges from those who know this is an overstatement.

Or epilepsy or some autoimmune diseases or some with IBS or some with migraines or some with developmental delays. Not just IR. It can help some people with some health problems even if it is just with reduced appetite to help with weight management if weight loss helps their health. Other diets can help too. They may even help more. I'm not making any grand claims here. Just offering information on the possible benefits, as

These claims are not unusual, nor guaranteed, and many are proven in trials, but I'm not bothering to search for them for you.

The OP asked for the success stories. I said what it could help with, gave info on the diet and then added that it would be tough. I'm going to assume the OP is a grown up who will look into the information given and decide what is best for her. You too can offer information, or more of your opinion, and the OP can use what info you offer as well.

Again, you didn't say "some". You said "many". That is what has been challenged. You would have more credibility if you didn't spend multiple posts trying to rationalize, spin, defend and parse what you said and you would just admit that you make a mistaken statement and correct it to "some". I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Where? I went back through my replies and I can't see your semantics argument's basis.

The only place I saw that I typed the word "many" was when I was discussing health benefits being tested. Not with regards to some people being helped when using keto as a tool, which is what I wrote. I'm sure you will correct me if I'm mistaken.

My bad. You never said many. You said "often" instead of "sometimes". So, the implication is many. That is where my mind went when you used the word "often" when referring to health improvements ascribed to keto diets. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Great post, @nvmomketo Thank you for consistently putting together knowledgeable and informative low carb/keto posts.

You're an o:) .

:) Thank you, but that list isn't mine. It was created by the Low Carber Daily Mods. They've put a LOT of work into creating a great resource for people who want more keto or low carb info.

ETA a link to the LCD group
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group