Walking

Options

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i've walked every day this year. at first only q mile and gradually increased to 4, but ran out of time to do more and it got hot outside so i joined a gym. now i do 3 miles at 3 mph each day and am slowly raising yhe incline to get my heart rate where i want it. this is a great walking calorie calculator that includes many variables

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly working my way up from 1 mile walks to 2 or 3 mile walks almost everyday. That's probably 75-to- 80% of my exercise through the week. Sometimes I'll do some aerobics, go for a swim, or shoot hoops with my husband and kids, but mostly I walk at moderate-to-brisk speed (and stay under my calorie limit). I've lost about 18 lbs since early May.
  • NewTaxi
    NewTaxi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started this journey in March...I couldn't do a whole mile at once on the treadmill...now I do 2 miles with no problem...I'm down 57 pounds in 104 days and marching on for the next 57 pounds...I stay a little under my 1200 cal limit and do about 12,000 steps a day...
  • asmitty1992
    asmitty1992 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s input!!! I appreciate it! Very inspiring :)
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Has anyone lost weight keeping up a good walking streak. If so how long and far are you going?
    I am a 64 yo female. I power walk 5 miles 5 days a week at a 4 mph pace. Doing that along with calorie restriction has allowed me to reach my goal weight of 120 lbs. The first 2.5 months were just dietary changes. I've been power walking since March. I feel that walking has really benefited me :)
    In part, that's because you've maintained a brisk pace, especially for a 64-year-old woman.

I've said before that walking, as most people do it, doesn't provide a lot of bang for the buck. It's better than sitting on one's duff, but in terms of exercise, it's pretty minimal. Keeping a brisk pace definitely helps though, especially for people who are in their later years of life.

I started out by mostly walking and lifting weights. I quickly reached the point of diminishing returns when it came to walking though, so I started carrying heavy weights, hiking briskly uphill, and so forth. Now I do long endurance races, some of which last eight hours or so.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I started walking and eating less in March and im down about 15 pounds. I try to hit 10k steps a day. about 3 weeks ago I started to add 30 min lifting weights 2-3 times a week. That's more for a pleasing shape than weight loss tho.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4x a week but my husband and I love to walk and go on a long one once per weekend. Since we go for so long and over lots of hills I burn a lot more there than at the gym. In the past I have lost weight from just walking so it can be done. The gym/interval running is more efficient for me at the moment though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love walking but wish it burned more calories lol. It sucks only brining 35-40 per mile
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight keeping up a good walking streak. If so how long and far are you going?

if my spouse drops me early to work, I usually can do 3m in an HR and still have 30m before I have to clock in.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    With my initial weight of 170 kg - 356 pounds - I could not walk much. Over the last 3 months a gently increased the daily distance walked and by now I can do 2 hours. So far I do not fit onto / into most gym equipment but I have joined their aqua aerobics which I enjoy tremendously and is good for my joints.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    About to go for my Saturday 5 mile walk.
    Walking is a great way to burn calories but not feel the intense hunger and need for protein right after like I do with Hiit or spin classes so it is nice to mix it up.

Have been walking off calories for over a year now!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

I walk 4 to 8 miles 2 to 4 times a week, depending on how many times I swim or paddle SUP or kayak. Walking, swimming and paddling are my primary, almost exclusive, forms of exercise. I usually do one of the 3 every day with maybe 1 or 2 days a week that I don't do anything.

But I lost weight because of a calories deficit; I eat more on days I exercise which makes it easier to stay under goal but doesn't increase the rate of loss.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do you all log walking as an exercise? I was reading another thread where they said that they dont. I do not count my like daily steps as walking but if I, walk the dog or walk to the park with my kiddos, I do count that as exercising. Thoughts?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Do you all log walking as an exercise? I was reading another thread where they said that they dont. I do not count my like daily steps as walking but if I, walk the dog or walk to the park with my kiddos, I do count that as exercising. Thoughts?

I count it. I did have to adjust my maintenance calories when I had a more active job. For example, before I would only get 3000 steps max, now I have a new job where I've been getting 8-10k most days so I had to adjust my maintenance or else I would slowly lose.

I would suggest either using sedentary and logging it, or selecting lightly active and not logging. I like to do sedentary and then use my apple watch to log any extra calories because I've found it is way more accurate than the random amount of calories they give you for being "active" since I can walk anywhere from 3000 on days off to 15k on busy days and that is a pretty big difference.
  • Stellamom2018
    Options

I count it. I did have to adjust my maintenance calories when I had a more active job. For example, before I would only get 3000 steps max, now I have a new job where I've been getting 8-10k most days so I had to adjust my maintenance or else I would slowly lose.

I would suggest either using sedentary and logging it, or selecting lightly active and not logging. I like to do sedentary and then use my apple watch to log any extra calories because I've found it is way more accurate than the random amount of calories they give you for being "active" since I can walk anywhere from 3000 on days off to 15k on busy days and that is a pretty big difference.

I have mine set to lightly active with 1500 cals and then I'm deciding if/when to eat back the exercise calories. I average 10k steps a day without deliberate exercise and that is pretty consistent. It's ridiculous how much I am thinking if how many calories to eat or not eat haha
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options

it definitely depends on your activity setting. I am at a desk job, but my walk to the gym which I don't do everyday burns about 100 calories, then on weekends I might want 5miles one day and 3 miles the next so I definitely add that as an exercise. I would be one cranky person if I didn't eat those 350 calories. Also half of those calories go to a nice big glass of wine which I definitely don't want to miss.
  • Stellamom2018
    Options

it definitely depends on your activity setting. I am at a desk job, but my walk to the gym which I don't do everyday burns about 100 calories, then on weekends I might want 5miles one day and 3 miles the next so I definitely add that as an exercise. I would be one cranky person if I didn't eat those 350 calories. Also half of those calories go to a nice big glass of wine which I definitely don't want to miss.

So is your daily activity set to sedentary or lightly active plus your exercise cals?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

I log it, but I set my maintenance calories pretty low. The calculator is off, which is kind of okay while losing because you are usually still losing just not at exactly the pace you set it for (if it is off for you; it is pretty accurate for a lot of people). But in maintenance you start creeping up or down. I have it set really low right now, moving back to the bottom of my range (currently near the middle).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been just doing 3 miles 5 days a week so far! I see some changes I just want to get to where I can jog :)

If you can walk briskly for 30 minutes, and want to start running eventually, consider c25k. Having a program to follow makes it easier to progress.

I run 3 days a week now, but I still walk regularly, both before and after runs and on rest days.