Replies

• Jay2God
    Jay2God Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've made my diary public see what I eat
  • Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I went from 303 lbs eating once a day to 173 eating 7 times a day often 8 at about 2000 calories in a year. My activity level was also very high. It has been off for a couple years now. High protein, but I don't count macros and stopped calorie counting as well. I eat an Autoimmune Paleo profile diet now.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @gimpybayou0 Are you even 18 yet?
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »
    35 pounds in 5 months is 7 pounds a month (not week), which is perfectly acceptable. I have a feeling you are eating more than you think, thank goodness.

Are you using a food scale? You are probably eating closer to 2000/day or more.

Today I ate 3 4.0 oz Turkey breast that's 360 calories and I scan it on MFP i legit have to eat granola bar to hit 1000 calories what am i doing wrong

How do you know they are 4oz, are you weighing them? 4oz of raw turkey is 129 cals according to the USDA database so that's already incorrect and 390 not 360. Also how are you cooking this, do you add any oil/condiments?

From 390 to 360 not a big difference it's not going to get me over 1k calories and how much calories does oil and condiments usually have?

Fat is 9 calories per gram, so it can be significant. Are you using a food scale?

I just bought a scale as we speak no I dont use a scale but I will now.😁

I'm glad you bought a scale! It was definitely an eye opener for me! Weighing will definitely give you a more accurate representation of the food that you're eating. Weighing is absolute and there is no guessing. What you consider to be a medium apple may be what I consider to be a large apple. How do we determine discrepancies like that? With weighing! 150g of apple slices is 150g of apple and there is no disputing that. Estimating will lead to inaccuracies and we don't want that! Even if the calorie difference between weighing and guessing seems small now, it adds up over time. And while now that calorie difference still results in you losing weight, it's likely you will reach a point where those extra calories are the difference between losing and maintaining (maybe even gaining). Anyway, I hope you will re-evaluate your calorie intake after you've become accustom to logging your food based on its weight. Lower isn't always better. While you may be losing weight fast now, it's possible you'll put it back on because you didn't develop healthy, longstanding habits to help keep the weight off. You don't want to eat this way forever, right? I hope you'll consider at least eating the 1500 minimum! I wish you the best of luck~ : )
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    35 pounds in 5 months is 7 pounds a month (not week), which is perfectly acceptable. I have a feeling you are eating more than you think, thank goodness.

Are you using a food scale? You are probably eating closer to 2000/day or more.

Today I ate 3 4.0 oz Turkey breast that's 360 calories and I scan it on MFP i legit have to eat granola bar to hit 1000 calories what am i doing wrong

How do you know they are 4oz, are you weighing them? 4oz of raw turkey is 129 cals according to the USDA database so that's already incorrect and 390 not 360. Also how are you cooking this, do you add any oil/condiments?

From 390 to 360 not a big difference it's not going to get me over 1k calories and how much calories does oil and condiments usually have?

what oil/condiments are you using?
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    By the way I forgot to mention I do not exercise I'm hardly active

That's probably at least half of what contributed to your current situation right there. It has for many of us. I'd encourage you to do some activity... don't care what it is, go for a 15-20 minute walk once a day.. anything at all to break the cycle of sedentary living.

A TON if you're not paying attention or weighing/measuring them at all. With butter and cooking oils, it is easy to accidentally add 300-500 calories EXTRA per day if using them to cook with.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's not sustainable.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    From your numbers you're likely not even counting some of the things you consume that have calories.

For example, oils, butter, flavorings, condiments and drinks. These all have calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem(s) with eating so little:

-your body can only burn so much fat per day. Once it has reached that limit it resorts to burning lean mass...i.e. muscle.
    -calories are fuel for your body. 1000 calories is not enough to fuel even your basic functions, and you'll likely start to feel tired.
    -consequences of not fueling basic function: hair loss, dry or brittle nails, hormonal imbalances
    -oh, and your organs will start to suffer. Including your heart.

Eat the amount MFP tells you to. Even if after you've received your food scale you still can't hit your goal, add in some calorie dense items (nuts, nut butters, oils, full fat dairy, even a "treat" you've avoided if you have to).
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    May I ask how long you've been eating this way? Often there's a 'honeymoon' period where you feel on top of the world, energized, in control, and amazed at your newfound willpower. Then you crash. Weak, tired, and hungry isn't fun.

I've been doing it for I'd say 5 months now I started at 300 now I'm at 265

That's 7lbs per week, that's just crazy and I am not saying this in a good way.

It's 1.75lbs a week

Perfect rate of loss, you're eating more than you think

Well idk how many days has it been I'm not keeping count just tracking my calories and macros and step on the scale is all I do

Where have you been tracking your calories? I looked at your food diary. You have no entries for June and the first part of July. Seems like you have only been entering food into your diary for about a week - and not consistently.

A couple of things I noticed about your diary:
    • You are not entering any drinks. What are you drinking?
    • You list "medium" eggs as something you often eat. Are you sure about that? Most common egg size is "large" - it will state so on the carton.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It would not be healthy or sustainable to eat 1,000 calories a day unless you were a very short, elderly sedentary woman which you are not. The recommended minimum for men is 1,500.

It seems that you are somewhat inaccurate in your logging so are eating or drinking more calories than you think fortunately. Your rate of loss would be much higher if you had only been eating 1,000 calories.

When you get your food scale use it for solids. You can use a measuring cup and measuring spoons for liquids. Log everything including cooking oils and condiments.
    Check that the entries you use are correct. Even if you scan an item an incorrect entry can pop up. Check against the label or something like the USDA food database to see if the information is correct.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    Log food in the same state you weighed it. If you weighed it raw use an entry that says raw.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    May I ask how long you've been eating this way? Often there's a 'honeymoon' period where you feel on top of the world, energized, in control, and amazed at your newfound willpower. Then you crash. Weak, tired, and hungry isn't fun.

I've been doing it for I'd say 5 months now I started at 300 now I'm at 265

That's 7lbs per week, that's just crazy and I am not saying this in a good way.

It's 1.75lbs a week

Perfect rate of loss, you're eating more than you think

Well idk how many days has it been I'm not keeping count just tracking my calories and macros and step on the scale is all I do

No reason not to keep doing that since it's working for you, and your rate of loss is reasonable. I would do as posters above suggest and work on the calorie tracking - you are not tracking accurately, and that will become more and more of an issue as you continue to lose. It's also crucial to have a more accurate estimate of your calories in if/when you become more activie and have to start fueling your activity.