middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hooray, and congrats.
    Any pics you'd care to post?

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    I'm so glad I read the waking guide and looked at the map when you first posted. It gave me a really good sense of place in your photos.

It really is quite rubbley in the last stretch, more so than the discriptions would have led me to believe.
    Is that snow?
    (That section looks very like the rubble you see when mounting a glacier in Canada.)

The views are spectacular. Did you walk it on your own?

I ask because I am tempted to drag myself out of the Borders and walk it when I'm over next year, but have no one fit enough to accompany me.

Cheers, h.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm so glad I read the waking guide and looked at the map when you first posted. It gave me a really good sense of place in your photos.

It really is quite rubbley in the last stretch, more so than the discriptions would have led me to believe.
    Is that snow?
    (That section looks very like the rubble you see when mounting a glacier in Canada.)

The views are spectacular. Did you walk it on your own?

I ask because I am tempted to drag myself out of the Borders and walk it when I'm over next year, but have no one fit enough to accompany me.

Cheers, h.

a bit rubbly: well, the last 600m of elevation were that rubbly. I was basically jumping from stone to stone at times :s It's basically due to water seeping into cracks of rocks, the water freezes over night and extends the cracks, and many of those cycles basically blast pieces of rock off, and then they roll down the mountain eventually. And yes, there are always a few snow patches left in the Highlands until into autumn.

I walked alone. Have no-one to take along (and no-one with enough patience to walk with me :p ) Lots of people walk Ben Nevis though that are way less fit than me. I might be tempted to do it again if I'm still around. Give me a shout next year :)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I didn't have internet for a few days as I spent some time after the hike on the isles, where there's no phone signal. But anyway:

I MADE IT! :D

It took me 4.5 hours to reach the top, and I was very lucky that the endless flog even lifted for 30 minutes and allowed for some views. Down only took 2.5 hours. I would have managed in 2 hours if my socks had not caused burning to my foot soles and I kind of tip toed down the last 3km. Time for new hiking socks. So happy! Now I can think of other mountains as well.

Yes, it was super tough for me and I was already soaking wet after the first 200m climb (of 1300) but I just walked on very slowly and took breaks whenever I needed them. I found that walking so slowly made me faster in the end than some other slow walkers who sprinted up, totally wrecked themselves and needed a long break very often.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is awesome! I'm so happy for you. :)

Any thoughts about your next endeavor?
  • yirara
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks a lot @SaraKim17

Not really. I'll be going to Tenerife next month but will take a gondola to the top of Mount Teide. I think of walking down though.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Wow, stunning views!

Congrats on the climb! Sounded like it went really well.

The rubbly bits at the end are giving me flashbacks to scafell pike. It's so tough walking on terrain like that isn't it?
  • yirara
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Wow, stunning views!

Congrats on the climb! Sounded like it went really well.

The rubbly bits at the end are giving me flashbacks to scafell pike. It's so tough walking on terrain like that isn't it?

Absolutely! You Brits really need to tidy up your mountains a bit more :D:*o:)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a great time! Way to go! I like 2 pair of socks, a very thin polypropylene liner and a midweight wool blend on top.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Wow! That looks amazing!
  • yirara
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Glad you had a great time! Way to go! I like 2 pair of socks, a very thin polypropylene liner and a midweight wool blend on top.

Yes, that was the problem: my feet moved a bit inside the boots when walking downhill and the slightly thicker sole of my socks caused some serious problems. Felt like I had blisters everywhere underneath my feet :'( But I was kind of running down instead of walking, so yes, lots of friction. I was thinking of a two-sock solution, with something thin and somewhat smooth inside.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wow, great achievement! I’d love to do something like that one day, when I’m fit enough. At the moment I’m only doing very short hikes!

I have an important question though.....:

Did you find the GEOCACHE?????

(Fellow geocacher here, in case you can’t tell) :p
  • yirara
    Options
    Wow, great achievement! I’d love to do something like that one day, when I’m fit enough. At the moment I’m only doing very short hikes!

YES! Took me ages to find as my GPS send me all across this windswept, rocky plateau in increasingly bigger circles. And then it had a soggy log book. Oh well.. There were also an EarthCache and a Virtual at the top, so that was really worth it <3 I'm still busy logging from my Isle of Mull trip, where I mainly looked at the geology and found EarthCaches.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Funny thing, I was in Scotland to keep an eye in my elderly mum while my sis and BiL did an extended camping trip on Mull and Iona. They brought me a nice pair of Iona green marble earrings.
    One day I will get to the west.

Cheers, h.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    One more photo: the day after the hike I drove to the Isle of Mull, and took a boat trip to Staffa where I met this lovely one, and lots of his friends <3<3

37320660_10156561675150816_2275168043548016640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fbb5eae48c3ec5321b8fa8cccd1b2c3b&oe=5BCE8BD2

Puffins are the best! Here's one I saw on a recent trip to the Yorkshire coast.

a0b9mcftqjbe.jpg
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oh, such beautiful views! Congratulations! Now I know where I will have to go the next time I’m in Scotland. I’d love to see your more political pic if you want to send me a message-please!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

YES! Took me ages to find as my GPS send me all across this windswept, rocky plateau in increasingly bigger circles. And then it had a soggy log book. Oh well.. There were also an EarthCache and a Virtual at the top, so that was really worth it <3 I'm still busy logging from my Isle of Mull trip, where I mainly looked at the geology and found EarthCaches.

Yay, well done!
    Bonus, 3 geocaches!!! I’d do the hike just for them lol.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • yirara
    Options

Yay, well done!
    Bonus, 3 geocaches!!! I’d do the hike just for them lol.

that's what gets me out and about in the end <3